Spyderco PM2 in s110v

Mine arrived, maybe first in the antipodes?
I'm happy with it and it's gonna be in the right front pocket for the next few weeks.
DSC00037_zpse5tftvjk.jpg

Blade: S110V, the reason I bought it. My first S110V blade, I have 3 other folders in S90V and I'm expecting more or less the same kind of edge retention but am curious to find out how similar sharpening difficulty is.
Lock up is solid, really good, absolutely no blade play at all. The blade does not swing freely, its smooth enough though a little stiff to open/close. I will use it for a while before adjusting the pivot. By comparison my Elmax Para2 was nigh on perfect out of the box, solid lock up and the blade just drops and swings freely when the lock is pressed.
The grind on this S110V Para 2 is even and it's very sharp. Hard to see in the (poor) pics but the blade centering is just very slightly off. No biggy.
DSC00035_zpsmxz09ymq.jpg

DSC00036_zpspcmtwfmx.jpg

Scales: Color is subjective of course. This royal blue, I'm not loving it, not hating it, but it lacks the industrial or utilitarian or subtly artful look to it that i prefer in a knife handle. I'd have preferred a really dark Navy Blue myself. G10 grippiness is good like my other Para 2's. The edges of the G10 are not quite as nice and smooth as my Elmax version, but only slightly so.
It will get a black clip soon. Wouldn't mind finding black screws for the scales and pivot too.
DSC00038_zpssgyixbbq.jpg

This one appears as navy, unless seen in daylight or bright light. I heat colored the hardware.

21736816870_1c4745b3a4_b.jpg

21737017938_f4be1bf479_b.jpg

21898715336_349c64a29d_b.jpg

Last edited:
Mine arrived, maybe first in the antipodes?
I'm happy with it and it's gonna be in the right front pocket for the next few weeks.
DSC00037_zpse5tftvjk.jpg

Blade: S110V, the reason I bought it. My first S110V blade, I have 3 other folders in S90V and I'm expecting more or less the same kind of edge retention but am curious to find out how similar sharpening difficulty is.
Lock up is solid, really good, absolutely no blade play at all. The blade does not swing freely, its smooth enough though a little stiff to open/close. I will use it for a while before adjusting the pivot. By comparison my Elmax Para2 was nigh on perfect out of the box, solid lock up and the blade just drops and swings freely when the lock is pressed.
The grind on this S110V Para 2 is even and it's very sharp. Hard to see in the (poor) pics but the blade centering is just very slightly off. No biggy.
DSC00035_zpsmxz09ymq.jpg

DSC00036_zpspcmtwfmx.jpg

Scales: Color is subjective of course. This royal blue, I'm not loving it, not hating it, but it lacks the industrial or utilitarian or subtly artful look to it that i prefer in a knife handle. I'd have preferred a really dark Navy Blue myself. G10 grippiness is good like my other Para 2's. The edges of the G10 are not quite as nice and smooth as my Elmax version, but only slightly so.
It will get a black clip soon. Wouldn't mind finding black screws for the scales and pivot too.
DSC00038_zpssgyixbbq.jpg

Love those PM2s, I also have the Elmax version and I love it.

That looks nice. May I ask how you heat colored the hardware? Just by waving a flame over it? I may have a go at that.

It was easy & simple. I didn't use a torch, (although I suppose that would work as well). The heat source was an electric stovetop, the heating element turns cherry red. I placed the parts on top, fired it up and watched the color turn. Removed them with a needle nose pliers when they looked good, and then quenched.

Fwiw, as an aside... I've a stock PM2 black G10 satin blade. I changed out all the screws for black, but kept the stainless clip. I think a black handle deserves black screws (but maybe that's just me). Didn't think a black and blue treatment would work well for this new one so, as you see, the next thought was to heat color. This knife's going to be well-used. I always like to do something to make these things 'my own'. BTW those wood scales on yours are really nice! I'd like to know more about them. Heat colored screws would look great on that handle. Thanks for the compliment. -Rob

21931140682_437098478b_b.jpg

Last edited:
It was easy & simple. I didn't use a torch, (although I suppose that would work as well). The heat source was an electric stovetop, the heating element turns cherry red. I placed the parts on top, fired it up and watched the color turn. Removed them with a needle nose pliers when they looked good, and then quenched.

Fwiw, as an aside... I've a stock PM2 black G10 satin blade. I changed out all the screws for black, but kept the stainless clip. I think a black handle deserves black screws (but maybe that's just me). Didn't think a black and blue treatment would work well for this new one so, as you see, the next thought was to heat color. This knife's going to be well-used. I always like to do something to make these things 'my own'. BTW those wood scales on yours are really nice! I'd like to know more about them. Heat colored screws would look great on that handle. Thanks for the compliment. -Rob

Looking good. Is there any reason you could not do the same thing with the screws?

I don't understand what you mean. Which screws?

Disregard. I thought you were talking about possibly doing the screws on your S110V PM, but I see now that I am a bit more lucid that you were referring to the other fellow's knife.

Thanks for explaining how you did that. Did you quench with water or oil?

I much prefer black screws on black scales too, black or dark hardware generally on most folders.
But I agree, what you've done looks a better match to the royal blue than straight black hardware would.

The wood scales I got from Cuscadi in Germany a couple of years ago for my S35VN Para2. I dealt by email with a guy called Luke who's English was excellent. He sent me pics of wood to pick from, I chose and described to him what I wanted, and he delivered beautifully made scales just like I asked for.
I was careful fitting them, very aware that I was handling a wafer of wood. I put the lanyard tube in the freezer for a while before assembling to make the ends slip into the wood easier. Once assembled it doesn't feel delicate at all.
In hand it feels lovely (I'm partial to the look and feel of wood), though of course it doesn't grip the pocket like the G10. Still it feels secure enough. It gets carried and used, albeit with some care. My 'going out' Para2.
And yeah I think your right, the heat colored hardware would look awesome on it.

Mine just arrived today! Being my first paramilitary, I have a minor learning curve. Since the lord blessed me with left hand dominance, closing the paramilitary isn't instinctual.... At all... Opening/closing the knife right handed feels god like! Spyderco, Sal, Eric...... Left handed paramilitary, you know, a little brother for the lefty military. (RIP)

That being said, the knife is perfect.. It's me that needs work.

This model seems out of stock most if not all places at the moment. just wondering about the recent availability in the second hand market and reasonably priced at that. (There's been atleast 10 on on the exchange since last week).

How are y'all liking this knife as reviews are minimal. I have one on the way and it'll be my first spyderco and quality folder (I've primarily only collected fixed blades up until this point, but decided I needed a quality folder for the less knife friendly areas I travel too for work) from what lil I've read before deciding on it I've concluded it should be a solid edc with good edge retention.

So far, so good. Personally, I like the blue G10, but that's definitely a personal preference thing. I am quite impressed with the edge-holding of the S110V so far. I tore down a bunch of cardboard boxes with it over the weekend, and it didn't even seem to phase the edge. Still hair-popping sharp, doesn't even need to be stropped. Granted, that's not terribly hard-use, but the amount of cardboard I cut through would definitely have dulled a less wear-resistant steel a little bit.

I'll be able to give you better info in a month or so.

So far, so good. Personally, I like the blue G10, but that's definitely a personal preference thing. I am quite impressed with the edge-holding of the S110V so far. I tore down a bunch of cardboard boxes with it over the weekend, and it didn't even seem to phase the edge. Still hair-popping sharp, doesn't even need to be stropped. Granted, that's not terribly hard-use, but the amount of cardboard I cut through would definitely have dulled a less wear-resistant steel a little bit.

I'll be able to give you better info in a month or so.
That's kinda why I went with it, a quality folder hadn't even been on my radar until a visit to very large knife store in Sevierville tn. last week. Very large selection of various knives but the spyderco pm2 caught my eye and after handling it I knew I wanted one. Which led me to search the various steels available for the pm2 and s110v seemed the best available option for the price. I have fixed blades in s30v which holds a working edge forever, but what I read about s110v it seems to blow s30v away for holding a fine edge and working edge.

I just got a lil worried with all the second hand availability now.

Yes my question exactly.seems like a lot of these para2 s110v are popping up Like crazy at least 5 a day on the forum. Is it that folks are buying 2 and keeping 1 for themselves?or they are just not living up to the hype?

Hard to say why. IMO, it's certainly not due to any issue with the steel. Maybe they don't like the color? :confused:

I just got a lil worried with all the second hand availability now.
Just a little profiteering on a new release. ;)

I really like the S110V in my Manix2 so I'm assuming it will be just as good in the PM2.

Just like last year with the limited availability of the blacked-out PM2's - prices came down once the supply became stable. I can wait.

Don't forget the sprints are coming - PM2 M4 Moonglow anyone? ;)

Looks like my Cuscadi scales will be here before my 110v PM2. I can wait - I've never had a problem with the fit/finish of Cuscadi scales...though this is the first set I've bought for a Spyderco.

Back