Spyderco price increases and higher MAP pricing

You guys are addicts, and your DOC (Drug Of Choice) is Spyderco (or various others). You don't think that you'll spend a bit more money to get your buzz? Come on, who are you trying to fool? You need that "thing" to get your neurotransmitters going, lol. :p

I don't mean to kill your pity-party, but you-all are being silly! Don't you see it? Spyderco, among others, already have their heals in you, and are squeezing you, can't you feel it? No shame, that's what they're supposed to do! They are a "for profit" enterprise, right?

How many of you need a new knife? "Wait, let's see... Um... I've got 30, but I'm thinking about..." Do you really need anymore knives, anyway? If so, does it really have to be a Spyderco? If so, why?

Anyway, don't take this the wrong way. I'm laughing, while typing this... :D

In the end, your DOC is relatively cheap! So, no more crying! :mad: Also, you can use it, abuse it, then turn around, and sell it on the Exchange. Not too bad, eh? ;)

Is this a :poop:ty-post, or what?

:D:D:D

True dat;us junkies allays gonna b!$# bout havin ta cough upnatha $5! Even if I can’t recall paying map on any spyderco knife, and I have dozens now and another dozen in the mail from this Black Friday, its still a habit. The best producers like spyderco can charge 8% more, in fact they have to in order to stay profitable, just like producers of food, cars, soap and everything else. Thomas Jefferson bemoaned inflation 200 years ago, but corporations gotta stay afloat too!
It will be worth it if they make cruwear production models of their current s110v lineup,which come to think of it nobody would own a pocket laser if it weren’t for Spyderco. God Bless America

I’m in the same opinion as Beak14, though I’ll put it this way:

The change means higher price most people will end up paying. Whether it directly increases profits for Spyderco or dealers, we as buyer do not have enough information.

It is a free market where buyer will decide based on their preferences, perceived value from all competing makers/brands. At the end of the day the market will find it’s dynamic balance.

Spyderco as company needs to thrive to continue what they have been doing. I believe they also would have factored in mass buyer vs aficionados, and done their homework in making the decision, what is the percentage of different types of buyers and how to achieve optimum outcomes (volume x price), that allows them to continue in the direction they are going.

Personally I like Spyderco and have more of their products than other production knife brand. When I make purchases, it’s always individually evaluated (including impulses and hype from forum), and whether I can afford it or not. Life needs & priorities change also with time.

One day perhaps a model from Spyderco at certain selling price is right. On different occasion, perhaps something else from others. It’s a dynamic interplay.

I appreciate that Sal and his core team post here and try to establish communication with end users. It doesn’t happen often in these days and this engagement add positive value in the purchase considerations, along with other factors.

In short, it’s what it is. ;)

map or no map....never been a fan on knives using it. spyderco did it better and is still doing it better than benchmade, without a doubt.

ill just judge each knife independently and whatever the price is if its worth it to me ill buy. if not ill pass.

Thanks Inkynate for sharing my post. I just couldn't make it in here last night. In addition to what I originally posted I will add one more point to address something posted here. We don't give kickbacks - to anyone. To reiterate another point, we are continuously evaluating our MAP program and your feedback here and elsewhere is an important part of the process. We've never done anything just for the sake of doing it and our implementation of MAP was not, and still is not taken lightly. Our goal is the protection of our brand, of the Spyderco name and reputation, and the reliable high-performance products that we strive to provide to our customers. I promise, our core values have not changed or wavered.

Thank you, to each of you who have taken the time to provide your feedback. As always, we're listening and watching. We appreciate each of you.

Kristi

Thanks Kristi. I think I speak for a lot of Spyderco's fans when I say that you've got our trust as a company, and we understand prices go up and that both the companies and the dealers we've grown to trust have earned their profits and should have them.

This part is not directed at you, really, but I do kind of think that the rising prices are lifting all boats, but not all boats seem to justify it to me. The creeping increases on Seki City knives don't seem to really be worth it since the materials and quality have not changed. They are high-quality knives, but the value ratio between quality and price is inching down because of the price changes. I'm not sure if the price increases there are subsidizing the explosion in higher-end Golden and Taichung knife variety we've seen in recent years, but if so, I guess it would all be a wash- no, I don't really want to pay more for a Delica, but on the other hand, if that's meaning I pay a bit less for the great stuff you have coming out of Taichung and the dealer exclusives out of Golden, I guess it's all even in the end.

Anytime there is a price increase there will be complaints. But I do understand that it has to happen. I'm in agreement with what several have said. I don't believe @Sal Glesser to be an evil greedy corporate type guy. He truly seems to be a knife enthusiast who wants to better the community, employ good people, and feed his family.

With that being said I absolutely HATE MAP. Here's why; it's not being followed correctly in my mind. When I bought my first bass I walked into a music store and they were $75 higher than Musician's Friend. I asked them, hey, can you guys price match this? MF was selling at MAP and the store was selling at MSRP. They replied: on this model we can do better and knocked the price down $20 more than MAP! I bought it right there. A few years later I'm in the market for another bass and MF was having a sale on that bass. They could not meet/beat the sale price but they did discount MAP and through in some extras.

MAP stands for Minimum Advertised Pricing which means that they can't advertise lower. But if you email a knife dealer and ask for a better deal they will reply no, we can't sell you this knife at any less because of MAP. MAP was never supposed to be price fixing and in any other hobby or industry that I've been in it hasn't.

You guys are addicts, and your DOC (Drug Of Choice) is Spyderco (or various others). You don't think that you'll spend a bit more money to get your buzz? Come on, who are you trying to fool? You need that "thing" to get your neurotransmitters going, lol. :p

I don't mean to kill your pity-party, but you-all are being silly! Don't you see it? Spyderco, among others, already have their heals in you, and are squeezing you, can't you feel it? No shame, that's what they're supposed to do! They are a "for profit" enterprise, right?

How many of you need a new knife? "Wait, let's see... Um... I've got 30, but I'm thinking about..." Do you really need anymore knives, anyway? If so, does it really have to be a Spyderco? If so, why?

Anyway, don't take this the wrong way. I'm laughing, while typing this... :D

In the end, your DOC is relatively cheap! So, no more crying! :mad: Also, you can use it, abuse it, then turn around, and sell it on the Exchange. Not too bad, eh? ;)

Is this a :poop:ty-post, or what?

:D:D:D

Well, I guess it's back to heroin for me.

Most of the Japanese-made Spydercos with G-10 are overpriced and will be more so after the MAP adjustment. There's nothing fancy about them. Of course, that's assuming the MSRP on them will not increase.

MAP1 is 40% off MSRP and MAP2 is 35% off MSRP.

Code:
MODEL ............... --MSRP- --MAP1- --MAP2-
Stretch2 ............ $349.95 $209.97 $227.47
Chinook4 ............ $339.95 $203.97 $220.97
Opus ................ $334.95 $200.97 $217.72
Karahawk Black ...... $329.95 $197.97 $214.47
Tatanka ............. $329.95 $197.97 $214.47
D'Allara ............ $319.95 $191.97 $207.97
Lil' Temperance3 .... $319.95 $191.97 $207.97
Karahawk ............ $299.95 $179.97 $194.97
Civilian ............ $299.95 $179.97 $194.97
Police4 ............. $289.95 $173.97 $188.47
Ouroboros ........... $289.95 $173.97 $188.47

I haven't bought a new Benchmade from a dealer since they went to MAP pricing. The value doesn't seem to be there anymore.

Spyderco still had value when they went to the original MAP pricing. With the new pricing their value seems to be starting to diminish.

Last edited:
Oh no. Price on an additional knife that we don't need went up 5%. What's that boil down to, less than a tip at a restaurant, right?
In my opinion, if this additional 5% breaks the bank you should really be sorting some other things out in life.

Reactions: Mo2
I just got my first spyderco that's not a sprint In a long time . Paid full price for a discontinued Slysz $300 this will be my last none PM2 or sprint Manix, or Caly that I'll buy . I just don't see any value in them . And I'm not alone . When you see great knives like the southard and the domino get discontinued it's not because people don't like them it's because they are over priced when compared with ZT and others .

Oh no. Price on an additional knife that we don't need went up 5%. What's that boil down to, less than a tip at a restaurant, right?
In my opinion, if this additional 5% breaks the bank you should really be sorting some other things out in life.
yeah its not so much that. its that other brands might offer more value argument on certain knives compared. im not personally saying that myself as i see spyderco offering lots of value on some of their knives. just saying some will see that when comparing a new knife.

It's becoming increasingly difficult to justify the price of some of these designs to myself when d2 is becoming a common sight for around $50.

I wish Spyderco the best, but I'm not sure this is going to benefit them competition-wise

I admit that I am a Spyderco fanboy so take this as you will.

Compared to other large production brands, Spyderco's quality of build, variety of materials, number of sprints/specials/exclusives, creativity/thoughtfulness of design, and ever-evolving lineup make for a brand that is unparalleled in the knife world.

While I would appreciate it if they gave me all their knives for free, a 5% price increase does not suddenly eliminate the value I see in Spyderco. Their knives are certainly not 5% away from being "just ok." I would argue that despite the increase they make some of the best dollar-for-dollar cutting tools out there.

Although, I also think providing free Spydercos to the BF people and letting everyone else pay MSRP would be a nice alternative strategy.

There is no value in most spyderco take for instance Positron $170 now they sell for $100 and they still in stock . Best value they have GB2 even when you add the 5% that will make it $147 still a great value .

MAP1 is 40% off MSRP and MAP2 is 35% off MSRP.

Code:
MODEL ............... --MSRP- --MAP1- --MAP2-
Stretch2 ............ $349.95 $209.97 $227.47
Chinook4 ............ $339.95 $203.97 $220.97
Opus ................ $334.95 $200.97 $217.72
Karahawk Black ...... $329.95 $197.97 $214.47
Tatanka ............. $329.95 $197.97 $214.47
D'Allara ............ $319.95 $191.97 $207.97
Lil' Temperance3 .... $319.95 $191.97 $207.97
Karahawk ............ $299.95 $179.97 $194.97
Civilian ............ $299.95 $179.97 $194.97
Police4 ............. $289.95 $173.97 $188.47
Ouroboros ........... $289.95 $173.97 $188.47

Thanks for crunching some of the numbers. I admit it's probably mostly psychological since, at the end of the day, a price difference of $15-$25 isn't going to make or break me, but I can justify the lower number in my head a lot easier than I can the higher one. I'm totally a Spyderco fangirl at heart and there's no question the company puts out a high quality product that I'll continue to buy, but with the higher prices, I can see me opting either for fewer purchases or more of the mid range knives and holding out for sales to get the higher priced ones that I want.

Back