Spyderco Rubicon Goodness

Just because something or someone is a "minority", as you termed it, doesn't meant they deserve to be ignored or forgotten about. Hopefully you wise up to one day be the minority in something and realize the benefit of it. Regardless if it's a thought, an idea, or something physical.

I missed where he stated that lefties deserved to be ignored or discriminated against. An observation is different than a judgement, and minority is a real word that can be used without negative connotation. There are simply less lefties than righties, and that makes them a minority, not a term invented by Ramzar. Ramzar is likely correct in observing that this fact is why we don't see more lefty designs, not some other reason. Indeed Ramzar might believe that lefties deserve to be ignored, but he didn't actually state that, so it's best not to get into an argument over something that wasn't stated in the first place. That's my opinion anyway, but I'm definitely a minority in this regard when it comes to internet discussions.

I'm not a lefty, in the interest of full disclosure, but my BIL is. I bought him a lefty milie before they were disco'd, and I can see how being "wrong handed" for everything can be annoying. My grandfather had terrible handwriting, and my mother insisted that he was actually left-handed, but that everyone was taught to write right-handed back in the day so he always treated himself as right-handed.

Thomas W. at KAI actually spoke about this a bit on the geargeekslive podcast. He worked at Spyderco for "two tours" as he put it and while there, Spyderco put out a left hand folder due to the perceived demand from lefties, as well as Law Enforcement officers who wanted a weak side carry. The sales were pitiful and the knife was discontinued within the year. Hence we see so few options for lefties out there.

Sadly, if a product doesn't make financial sense, it cannot be produced.

Spyderco, in general, is pretty lefty friendly. The spidie hole is as good for a lefty as it is for that weird right handed majority :D. Most clips that I've seen cover left carry as well. However, some of the newer models like the Southard aren't left friendly..... Just too bad for us lefties.....

I'd like to see this one with just CF, no steel liner, handle slab.

Originally Posted by Kai Corp.
Southpaws always get mad at me here, but from a sales perspective, who cares?

You are right. It's business, pure and simple. Some companies do make the effort to cater to lefties.

If the product doesn't fit me.... I simply take my $ elsewhere...

I've bought Ruger bolt action firearms, partly because they make left models. Can I reach over the bolt with my left hand? Sure I can...bloody awkward..... Gotta shift my position so I can't stay on target..... It is Sweeeeet not to have to.

Don't want to sound like a fan boy or a commercial but... Thanks Ruger:thumbup:

Last edited:
Looks like these are "on deck" at BHQ and may be on the New Arrivals page soon....

Get your clicking finger ready and jam on that refresh button :p

Looks like these are "on deck" at BHQ and may be on the New Arrivals page soon....

Get your clicking finger ready and jam on that refresh button :p

When Howes mentions them, I will perk up. Otherwise, it is ignore them for my checking account's sake:D

I feel like we'll be seeing a couple more Japan Spydies come out before this beauty. All the same, it will be purchased. Slysz Bowie and the Rubicon and I'm done. :D

Thomas W. at KAI actually spoke about this a bit on the geargeekslive podcast. He worked at Spyderco for "two tours" as he put it and while there, Spyderco put out a left hand folder due to the perceived demand from lefties, as well as Law Enforcement officers who wanted a weak side carry. The sales were pitiful and the knife was discontinued within the year. Hence we see so few options for lefties out there.

Sadly, if a product doesn't make financial sense, it cannot be produced.

Maybe lefties didn't like the model. I don't see why it's so hard to reverse the milling of a scale and tang and drill holes on both sides. That's all it takes to make a left handed model. An ambidextrous model only needs clip holes on both sides and access to the Spyderhole on both sides. The Techno, Southard and GB Air preclude left handed usage. A little change would make them lefty friendly like the Domino and Gayle Bradley.

Really looking forward to the Rubicon! :thumbup: Hopefully, very soon now.

Back