SPYDERCO SALT THREAD...fishing, ocean, stories, pics and all things "salt"

The Autonomy 2 is a brilliant knife! Mine is a great cutter too! Relatively thin stock and ground thinner behind the edge than a lot of other Golden models. Winner!
Coming from you, that is good to hear! Glad I snagged one.

^Great video.

I've been carrying mine IWB on bicycle rides when I would usually carry the Pacific Salt. Did a little gardening afterwards this morning:

qN5ZepTh.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Lance,

Love your knife! I have a Pac Salt serrated, and a leaf PE Caribbean, and I haven’t carried either since picking up the Siren last month!

I prefer the wire clip, larger guard, and lack of a typical Spyderco hump. I didn’t think ergos could get better than the Caribbean, but your knife is even more comfortable! I have a few thoughts after carrying this knife daily for several weeks.

1. I had to sand down the G10 slightly, particularly under the clip. I appreciate the aggressive texture for increasing grip and safety, but it was just too hard on my clothes, and sometimes too difficult to extract the knife. It’s probably better to start too grippy, because you can always sand it down, while it is much harder to go the other way around.

2. I ground a small sharpening choil using the corner of a Sharpmaker rod. My knife free-drops when unlocking, and I had a few very close calls with the edge coming against the skin of my index finger when closing the knife. I assume you wanted to maximize the edge length, but my index finger is much safer now that the choil is there. This mod only uses up 3-4 mm of edge.

3. Surprisingly, this was the dullest Spyderco knife I received out of the box, and it was a brand new one. I own or have owned some 15 Spydercos, dating back to the late 90’s. Not a big deal, as I resharpened it immediately, but this was unexpected. I haven’t seen this comment on any other Siren threads either here, or on the Spyderco forums, so perhaps it was a one-off.

In summary though, this is a spectacular knife, and I’m very glad you made it!

Hi Lance,

Love your knife! I have a Pac Salt serrated, and a leaf PE Caribbean, and I haven’t carried either since picking up the Siren last month!

I prefer the wire clip, larger guard, and lack of a typical Spyderco hump. I didn’t think ergos could get better than the Caribbean, but your knife is even more comfortable! I have a few thoughts after carrying this knife daily for several weeks.

1. I had to sand down the G10 slightly, particularly under the clip. I appreciate the aggressive texture for increasing grip and safety, but it was just too hard on my clothes, and sometimes too difficult to extract the knife. It’s probably better to start too grippy, because you can always sand it down, while it is much harder to go the other way around.

2. I ground a small sharpening choil using the corner of a Sharpmaker rod. My knife free-drops when unlocking, and I had a few very close calls with the edge coming against the skin of my index finger when closing the knife. I assume you wanted to maximize the edge length, but my index finger is much safer now that the choil is there. This mod only uses up 3-4 mm of edge.

3. Surprisingly, this was the dullest Spyderco knife I received out of the box, and it was a brand new one. I own or have owned some 15 Spydercos, dating back to the late 90’s. Not a big deal, as I resharpened it immediately, but this was unexpected. I haven’t seen this comment on any other Siren threads either here, or on the Spyderco forums, so perhaps it was a one-off.

In summary though, this is a spectacular knife, and I’m very glad you made it!
I agree on the G10 that it is better to start too aggressive than not enough and let the end user modify to their needs. I love the super grippy texture the way it comes but can see sanding under the clip if I carried this in a different way and in a different role.

I am also starting to come around on the sharpening choil idea. While I don't need the extra space in order to one hand close this knife without cutting myself, like I do other spyderco lock backs, it couldn't hurt and it would make sharpening and touch ups a little easier. Just a very small sharpening choil would be welcome.

Thanks for all info about this knife guys, and thanks for posting about your experiences with it. I am becoming very interested in the Siren.

Eric Glesser actually nicks his index finger while unlocking the Siren, during one of the SHOT 2020 Siren reveals. It's at 12:00 of the video, but the knife is so sharp he doesn't notice until 12:04!

As is, I think the knife is safe during unlocking as long as your index finger is snugged up against the guard. However, I like to have a little margin of error, which I got after adding the sharpening choil. Losing a few mm of cutting edge was a good trade-off for me.

Again though, this is an exceptional knife. For it being what I assume is Lance's first folder design, it is a home run.

I appreciate the aggressive texture for increasing grip and safety, but it was just too hard on my clothes, and sometimes too difficult to extract the knife. It’s probably better to start too grippy, because you can always sand it down, while it is much harder to go the other way around.

Agree here. Love the G10 but I carry inside the waistband of my shorts rather than my pocket and the G10 can get a bit rough on my skin. Wouldn't it be nice to have a FRN version as well? And I know Lance isn't a fan of teh yellow but I like it. I'd take any color but black in an FRN version. That is in addition to the G10 version I just bought. :)

Agree here. Love the G10 but I carry inside the waistband of my shorts rather than my pocket and the G10 can get a bit rough on my skin. Wouldn't it be nice to have a FRN version as well? And I know Lance isn't a fan of teh yellow but I like it. I'd take any color but black in an FRN version. That is in addition to the G10 version I just bought. :)
No underwear! :eek::D

I kid. I carry the Pacific Salt (OG) IWB a lot, so I get it. I think the Endura/Delica FRN texturing (volcano grip?) might be more irritating than the Siren G10. And again, with the Siren G10 you have the option of sanding it to your liking. For me anyway, I don't see FRN a good fit for the Siren. It is a more substantial knife than a Pacific Salt/Endura in my mind. One of its great benefits is the amount of robust strength it provides in such a light package, achieved by linerless G10 (wish more knives did this, like Cold Steel does). To me, giving it an FRN handle would make it too similar to a Pacific Salt, of which an LC200N version is already in the works. But hey, if the Siren sells like hot cakes, like it should, I'd be all for making the darn thing in every handle material possible. A micarta version would be sweeeet! That said, Golden has limited production capacity and I'd rather that energy focused on the LC version of the Pacific Salt!

Reactions: 353
This sounds like to me it is going to be seki made. I stand corrected!

Hi John,

Our maker in Seki that makes the Salts has made LC200N prototypes for us that came out fine. Full flat 59/60 Rc. In time we will make production pieces using LC.

H1 is unique in it's abilities. The plain edge does get very sharp and holds its edge better than any other Austenitic steel and the serrated edge will stay sharper longer than most steels in general. I suggest that you try one, especially in serrations. If you don't like it, I'll buy it back from you.

Lab tests are very good information, but more than 15 years of Real-World-Testing (RWT) has shown H1 to be very special.

sal

Love the bit about real world use for SE H1. I agree with sal 100%.

Can't wait for the Salt LC200N, I'm so exited!! :)
Me too. From all I can gather it could be a while though. While not a perfect substitute (better in most ways but deficient in some), the Siren is an excellent alternative.

Me too. From all I can gather it could be a while though. While not a perfect substitute (better in most ways but deficient in some), the Siren is an excellent alternative.

Yeah, I've considered it many a times.

It's just to big for me as a folder though..

It's the size of an Endura, I'm more of a Delica guy. :)

Last edited:
I agree on the G10 that it is better to start too aggressive than not enough and let the end user modify to their needs. I love the super grippy texture the way it comes but can see sanding under the clip if I carried this in a different way and in a different role.

I am also starting to come around on the sharpening choil idea. While I don't need the extra space in order to one hand close this knife without cutting myself, like I do other spyderco lock backs, it couldn't hurt and it would make sharpening and touch ups a little easier. Just a very small sharpening choil would be welcome.

I'd say to hold off on the sharpening choil. Once you put it in, well, it's in. Choils can snag.

Some love 'em, some don't.

If you free hand sharpen it isn't too hard to deal with the ricasso.

I'd say to hold off on the sharpening choil. Once you put it in, well, it's in. Choils can snag.

Some love 'em, some don't.

If you free hand sharpen it isn't too hard to deal with the ricasso.
Oh yeah, I'm not going to do it, just wouldn't mind if there was one. I do sharpen by hand so getting the whole edge isn't really an issue. I'm more thinking that for folks who fear they might cut themselves one hand closing the Siren, a little sharpening choil might make sense. Dulling a few mm of the blade would work too and no risk of snagging.

After the fourth time cutting my finger closing my Siren, I had to crank the pivot down, which I really don’t mind doing but the drop shut was nice while it lasted. I’m tempted to buy a second, but I’m imagining a different G-10 color may be released.

Otherwise, I love this knife - especially the blade profile. Editing this a lot because apparently I can’t post clearly during a full moon.

Eric Glesser actually nicks his index finger while unlocking the Siren, during one of the SHOT 2020 Siren reveals. It's at 12:00 of the video, but the knife is so sharp he doesn't notice until 12:04!

As is, I think the knife is safe during unlocking as long as your index finger is snugged up against the guard. However, I like to have a little margin of error, which I got after adding the sharpening choil. Losing a few mm of cutting edge was a good trade-off for me.

Again though, this is an exceptional knife. For it being what I assume is Lance's first folder design, it is a home run.

Last edited:
Back