Spyderco soon releasing a CBN bench stone

I purchased a DMT- dia grit diamond stone 12 yrs. ago. It fits the IM- 313 Tri- hone. So, it's 2.5" x 11.5", a large stone. It was 1 grit and cost 80$ to my door. Today that same stone runs 97$ to your door.
Just giving similar apples. DM

Last edited:
Dg7vk7i.jpg

cnzzMD3.jpg

400 mesh
AgwQE6g.jpg

800 mesh
2N3Q9He.jpg

I have sharpened 2 knives on it so far, and used it completely dry, with extremely light pressure. It was awesome on those 2, in fact I really could see this stone potentially becoming the do-it-all bench stone for me, but it's too soon to tell. It indeed does not have much issue with loading yet but I will need to get some knives sharpened on it before I'm ready to "recommend" it or make any comparative comments against say my DMT.

Have you used it much? Do the grit particles hold a better anchor than diamond? DM

I just received mine about a week ago and with the way things are going it's probably going to be quite some time before I can really give it a go. I'd be more than happy to send it your way to try it out if you would like?

Same goes for you Blues Blues , HeavyHanded HeavyHanded , and @Diemaker.

Last edited:
Thanks Fixall Fixall but I'm hardly using the myriad stones I already have around my home and shop. I'd probably not be in a position to give it a good run for a while...though I very much appreciate the offer and am interested in seeing the comparative reviews.

Thanks Fixall Fixall but I'm hardly using the myriad stones I already have around my home and shop. I'd probably not be in a position to give it a good run for a while...though I very much appreciate the offer and am interested in seeing the comparative reviews.

I hear ya! I keep adding stones to the collection when I know I’m not going to have time to play with them anytime soon with a baby on the way. I just can’t help myself, lol.

It’s an open offer for you if ya change your mind. For now, I’m gonna ship it to David Martin David Martin to give it a try. :)

I just received mine about a week ago and with the way things are going it's probably going to be quite some time before I can really give it a go. I'd be more than happy to send it your way to try it out if you would like?

Same goes for you Blues Blues , HeavyHanded HeavyHanded , and @Diemaker.

If it turns into a general pass-around I'd be happy to check it out, always have something around that needs sharpening. Currently am ringing out Ultrasharp 3k diamond plate that I just picked up a few weeks ago - spurred on by this thread actually.

Looking forward to some reviews on this stone. Please post up when you've formed some opinions.

I know HeavyHanded and he will not let my reviews of this stone shadow his use. He'll give you his real experience with it. DM

I'm waiting to see if someone like Ken Schwartz or Tom from Jende is going to cut these into 1x6s. I spoke to Ken about it previously and he seemed somewhat interested.

You can definitely feel a coarseness to the grit on the 400 grit side. But about half that on the 800 grit side. It's heavy and well made. Here are the first 2 customers, a s60v blade and a s90v blade. DM
View attachment 1507912

S90V and S60V, that's what I like to see! Put that bad boy to the test. :D

How do you think it compares to the DMT Coarse/Fine diamond plate?

This is preliminary but I had to get you gents one sharpening review before turning the lights out.
This is on the s90v blade. It wasn't in bad shape (no nicks, ect.) but could not slice paper. Working it with just water and a light touch. Which with me is not as light as HeavyHanded can do. Still, within 15 minutes the edge could slice notebook paper and over come wrinkles coming off the 400 grit side. And shave a few arm hairs but is quite coarse. More coarse than a 400 grit SiC or fine India stone. It can remove burrs quickly. No problems with this grit eating s90v. Plus, after finishing there was no shed grit lose on the stone. Which is not like my new diamond stones, DMT. This being a more durable grit.
More later. DM

Last edited:
It feels more coarse than the DMT coarse and more fine on the 800 grit side.
It acts that way in use as well. I have only used the coarse side and it gives a edge about like a 250 grit for some other grit stone. Something like that in regards to refinement.
After examining the edge on the s90v blade, I had put something like a 1 degree micro bevel on it. Likely done while removing the burr. This stone size is roomy and cuts like a hungry nutria. DM

Last edited:
Great info David, thanks! I'm curious to see how the plate is going to break in.

Back