SpydieChef thread

Doesn't the warranty describe that it does not cover any damage caused by disassembly, but not that disassembly voids it?
Of course, there is a risk of easily damaging washers and screws. I pinched washers on Stretch during disassembly, but they were willing to repair it (at $20).
For Spydiechef, I now have a bunch of spare washers (Teflon), so don't have to worry much about this.

Miso

Forest walk...

spydiechef_wood_web.jpg

Very satisfied to say, much of the lock stick has worked itself out on mine over the past week or so. It consistently locks up now with the same engagement amount, as well, whether flicked or softly opened.

20161226_133345_zpsdxlccyte.jpg

2016-12-26%2014.45.56_zpsrn7x3fga.jpg

Phenomenal knife. And I am enjoying the steel.

Does it have washers? If it does, what are they made of?

Can you feal any up and down or side to side bladeplay at all?

I haven't had mine apart but I believe it has phosphor bronze washers. Mine has lived exclusively in saltwater for 2 or 3 months. No corrosion, no blade play, no issue with the washers. :thumbup:

They have phosphor bronze washers. No blade play on two of mine.
I replaced the washers with teflon washers now and am very satisfied with the result so far. No blade play even with teflon washers.

Miso

This may be a dumb question but how durable are Spyderco framelocks?

Forgive me if this has been answered, I didn't read the whole thread yet and I'm in a bit of a rush, but I have a few questions about the SpydieChef and haven't been able to find real answers. I'm strongly considering one, but I need to know:

1. Does anyone have thoughts about the contact point of the clip (does it get stuck in your pocket), and is the clip kind of (or very) awkwardly angled? With the original Slysz Bowies, the way the pocket clip contacted directly on the ridge of the lockbar cut-out made it absolutely impossible for me to draw it from my pants. I know some of you had this problem, others not. I see they've since slanted the clip on that model a bit to (hopefully) remedy this. It was an absolute deal-breaker for me. I had the same problem (though slightly less so) with a ZT 450. So. . . is the clip position on the Chef better/good? On a related note, I found the clip on the PPT to be too slanted, it was awkward for me to get back on my pocket unless I gave it my full attention. That one wasn't a deal breaker for me, but it did cause me to carry it far less often. Maybe I'm just picky, but I've played with enough knives to know what I like, and I don't want to run into these issues here.

Edit: from the video posted by RamZar on page 4 of this thread, when the guy is showing the knife in pocket, the clip looks like it's probably too angled for my taste, but far worse, the clip contact location appears to make these very difficult to draw from the pocket as well. Notice how it noticeably snags on his pocket both times he tries to retrieve it. These are the exact issues I was describing. Anyone having similar problems?

2. Is the tip angled real far upward? By this I mean: in the relationship of the tip of the blade to the centerline of the handle. I.e., does it feel more like a persian blade, swept upward, or more like an insingo, kind of a sheepsfoot with a little belly. It looks like, and it's name would imply, that it's leaning more toward the persian side, but I don't know what it feels like to actually use. It's sometimes awkward to get the tip of a persian/trailing point-type knife down on paper to cut out an intricate tracing, or poke into a blisterpack for instance. The tip is just "further out there." I realize those tasks are more EDC oriented, where the SpydieChef is "made for kitchen duty," but I'm not sure what that feels like to use, and can't seem to find pictures or videos of people actually using theirs for anything besides chopping veggies. I realize this is a grand oversimplification of things, but if the Chef feels sort of like an Insingo/modified sheepsfoot Griptillian, or even a normal drop point folder, I'm all over it. If it's more of an Anso Whale/Tighe Stick feel I may pass. The constant belly is fine, I just don't have many tasks that make use of a tip that's "way up in the air," for lack of a better description. So. . in addition to providing an idea of the general feel, did it go "full kitchen" or is it still also a useful EDC?

What are your thoughts?
Thanks in advance.
Cheers

Last edited:
Forgive me if this has been answered, I didn't read the whole thread yet and I'm in a bit of a rush, but I have a few questions about the SpydieChef and haven't been able to find real answers. I'm strongly considering one, but I need to know:

1. Does anyone have thoughts about the contact point of the clip (does it get stuck in your pocket), and is the clip kind of (or very) awkwardly angled? With the original Slysz Bowies, the way the pocket clip contacted directly on the ridge of the lockbar cut-out made it absolutely impossible for me to draw it from my pants. I know some of you had this problem, others not. I see they've since slanted the clip on that model a bit to (hopefully) remedy this. It was an absolute deal-breaker for me. I had the same problem (though slightly less so) with a ZT 450. So. . . is the clip position on the Chef better/good? On a related note, I found the clip on the PPT to be too slanted, it was awkward for me to get back on my pocket unless I gave it my full attention. That one wasn't a deal breaker for me, but it did cause me to carry it far less often. Maybe I'm just picky, but I've played with enough knives to know what I like, and I don't want to run into these issues here.

Edit: from the video posted by RamZar on page 4 of this thread, when the guy is showing the knife in pocket, the clip looks like it's probably too angled for my taste, but far worse, the clip contact location appears to make these very difficult to draw from the pocket as well. Notice how it noticeably snags on his pocket both times he tries to retrieve it. These are the exact issues I was describing. Anyone having similar problems?

2. Is the tip angled real far upward? By this I mean: in the relationship of the tip of the blade to the centerline of the handle. I.e., does it feel more like a persian blade, swept upward, or more like an insingo, kind of a sheepsfoot with a little belly. It looks like, and it's name would imply, that it's leaning more toward the persian side, but I don't know what it feels like to actually use. It's sometimes awkward to get the tip of a persian/trailing point-type knife down on paper to cut out an intricate tracing, or poke into a blisterpack for instance. The tip is just "further out there." I realize those tasks are more EDC oriented, where the SpydieChef is "made for kitchen duty," but I'm not sure what that feels like to use, and can't seem to find pictures or videos of people actually using theirs for anything besides chopping veggies. I realize this is a grand oversimplification of things, but if the Chef feels sort of like an Insingo/modified sheepsfoot Griptillian, or even a normal drop point folder, I'm all over it. If it's more of an Anso Whale/Tighe Stick feel I may pass. The constant belly is fine, I just don't have many tasks that make use of a tip that's "way up in the air," for lack of a better description. So. . in addition to providing an idea of the general feel, did it go "full kitchen" or is it still also a useful EDC?

What are your thoughts?
Thanks in advance.
Cheers

You can always throw a different wire clip on the Bowie/SpydieChef to remedy that problem. I had the same issue with my Bowie, replaced it with a Manix Lightweight clip and never looked back. The longer clip has a contact point on the smooth Ti, and I prefer normal carry to deep carry. There are tons of different wire clips, you can play around with length/deep-carry.

zCIiw2k.jpg

^Yeah, I ended up bending the clip on my Bowie to make it contact at a different spot too. And thanks, I'll keep in mind that a manix lightweight clip would be a good alternative option. I'm still curious if the stock clip is a problem on the Chef though, and I'm a bit concerned that adding a longer clip would accentuate the odd angle it's placed at. I suppose I could try to introduce a bit of opposite-angle bend to the clip while I'm messing with things if it's a real problem. . .

Thanks for the thoughts. I realized before I even posted I'm probably just going to have to try one out sometime.

Forest walk...

spydiechef_wood_web.jpg

Beautiful pic!

@PiterM,

I know this is probably a tough one as you haven't had the Spydiechef long, but if you had to rank the Slysz folders (Bowie, Techno and Spydiechef) in terms of your favorite, how would you rank them thus far and why?

billygoat78,

I am not sure if this addresses your question but post some pics in comparison to my other Wharncliffe-type knives, PM2 and small Sebenza Insingo.

Comp_Chef.JPG

Comp_PM2.JPG

Comp_Seb.JPG

As you can see, Spydiechef’s tip is pretty upswept compared to the others. But you can always hold the knife to make the tip downward enough to cut a piece of paper on a table. The hump on the back of the handle makes this position comfortable.

Comp_Chef2.JPG

Hope this helps.

Miso

I know this is probably a tough one as you haven't had the Spydiechef long, but if you had to rank the Slysz folders (Bowie, Techno and Spydiechef) in terms of your favorite, how would you rank them thus far and why?

Not so hard at all...

#1 for outdoor use -> Bowie (that rounded handle is really awesome for long hard work)

#1 for EDC -> SpydieChef (flat, sits low in a pocket, rustproof, great slicer)

Techno is just great to have around, small and solid. I like it as it doesn't scare people thanks to size and "happy blue" backspacer. I used to carry it a lot but now it's been replaced by SpydieChef. Ok, Chef is a new knife so that is surely part of a reason... so we'll see in next couple of months.

Needless to say, I like them all :)

Not so hard at all...

#1 for outdoor use -> Bowie (that rounded handle is really awesome for long hard work)

#1 for EDC -> SpydieChef (flat, sits low in a pocket, rustproof, great slicer)

Techno is just great to have around, small and solid. I like it as it doesn't scare people thanks to size and "happy blue" backspacer. I used to carry it a lot but now it's been replaced by SpydieChef. Ok, Chef is a new knife so that is surely part of a reason... so we'll see in next couple of months.

Needless to say, I like them all :)

Thanks PiterM!

billygoat78,

I am not sure if this addresses your question but post some pics in comparison to my other Wharncliffe-type knives, PM2 and small Sebenza Insingo.

Miso

Thanks a lot Miso, that does indeed help. It's obviously swept, but doesn't appear near as swept as I thought it might be. I'll have to try one.
Cheers

The tip of the blade on my Spydiechef hits the last standoff when closing the blade. It has caused a flat spot on the edge. Its also carving a notch into the standoff.

Anyone else experience this with their chef?

Not sure if i should sharpen it out or get rid of it?

Thanks

The tip of the blade on my Spydiechef hits the last standoff when closing the blade. It has caused a flat spot on the edge. Its also carving a notch into the standoff.

Thanks

I have two, and the tips of both are about 5 mm away from the last standoff. Yours seems to be a defective and probably should be sent back to Spyderco.

Miso

Thanks

Mine doesn't hit anything and like miso2 said; send it in and you should get a replacement.

Back