SpydieChef thread

Hi Billygoat, the whole edge profile is at a positive angle to the handle in order to make the edge usable on a flat surface, but there isn't any big belly up near the tip so the tip remains quite usable...more so than the Slysz Bowie tip IMO.

Here's a photo of the Spydiechef with a pm2 behind it. Yes, the tip is higher, but it doesn't really require you to raise the handle to a much higher angle to use the tip. (ignore the blade profile change, the spine is different but the tip is in the exact same position as when new).

This is the clearance of mine.

Chef_clearance.JPG

Miso

Here is some pics of what I am talking about.
Screenshot_20170105-120616.png

Screenshot_20170105-120559.png

I just realized that mine had somehow developed a small edge deformation in that same spot! But I have no mark/scar on the standoff, and when closed, visually I can see about 2-3mm of clearance. It's possible the blade/handle flexes enough in pocket to make contact?? Or am I just crazy and somehow coincidentally ended up causing edge damage in that same spot and didn't notice immediately...?

I've sharpened out most of the damage. So I'll monitor and see if it returns, or if marks show up on the standoff.

What about loosening the standoff and turning it slightly to notice if a new mark is made as well?

Good luck.
-----
This happens occasionally with teaditionals, they call it blade rap. It often happens when a knife is made to close tolerances and the blade is allowed to snap shut from half stop.
If the tolerances are tight enough, compressing the blade shut might cause some contact.

Last edited:
I read about someone having the blade contact the standoff, but mine didn't look close from the angles I was able to view it at. However, I dropped my SpydieChef onto a concrete slab while trying to pull it from my pocket. It hit the slab hard and kind of sprung open.

When I checked it over, I noticed a small deformed area on the blade, near the tip. I simply thought it was just the ground that caused it. Now though looking at it more carefully and after following this thread, I am sure that the blade made contact with the standoff and this bounced the blade open. The blade has a perfectly rounded deformed area, very small, right above the last standoff. The standoff has a small shiny nick in it too.

So yes the blade can contact the standoff even if it doesn't look like it can. Mine will sharpen out and I consider the drop the caused it an accident, but there is enough elasticity in the design to allow contact between the blade and the standoff to be made.

My Boker Exskelibur I has a little play from the closed position, such that I can push the blade little further in. This is because the blade engages with the detent ball little earlier than hitting the stop pin.

Two of my Spydiechefs do not have this. The blade hits the stop bin before the detent ball falls into the hole completely. So, there is no vertical play at the closed position. However, I realized that one of them has smaller clearance between the edge and a standoff than the other. It might make a difference on the potential "blade rap".

Miso

Hi Billygoat, the whole edge profile is at a positive angle to the handle in order to make the edge usable on a flat surface, but there isn't any big belly up near the tip so the tip remains quite usable...more so than the Slysz Bowie tip IMO.

Here's a photo of the Spydiechef with a pm2 behind it. Yes, the tip is higher, but it doesn't really require you to raise the handle to a much higher angle to use the tip. (ignore the blade profile change, the spine is different but the tip is in the exact same position as when new).

Thanks a lot Surfingringo. I guess all I needed was some comparison pics, not sure why I made my last post so. . .wordy. Provided the handles of the PM2 and Chef in your picture are roughly held at the same angle, the sweep of the Chef blade isn't near as high as it looked in some pictures. I'm in. Hope the clip works out, I really liked this one before, and even more now.
Cheers

Thanks a lot Surfingringo. I guess all I needed was some comparison pics, not sure why I made my last post so. . .wordy. Provided the handles of the PM2 and Chef in your picture are roughly held at the same angle, the sweep of the Chef blade isn't near as high as it looked in some pictures. I'm in. Hope the clip works out, I really liked this one before, and even more now.
Cheers

Yes, I lined the handles up rather than the blades...best I could anyway. Enjoy your new knife! :)

Hey guys, this thread (along with some early YouTube reviews) compelled me to pull the trigger on the Spydiechef. I loved the design, and figured I could use it to help out in the kitchen when visiting relatives and friends who don’t sharpen their kitchen knives.
I still love it. It slices great, it pockets great, and LC200N keeps its edge and will stay serviceably sharp for a long time with occasional stropping.

Some observations:
-Spyderco’s anti-disassembly policy is especially bad with this knife. I’ve gotten raw chicken bits stuck between the blade tang and the scales, and have had to take it apart to clean the knife out.
-The pivot screw was really badly thread-locked. Even after heating it up with a soldering iron, the screw still got chewed up when using Wiha torx drivers.
-Fortunately, the pivot screw is identical to the longer clip screw, so I switched them around. I may have to conveniently lose my clip one of these days to get a new screw from Spyderco.
-The satin grind on the blade creates a texture that seems to collect gunk and make it harder to wipe the blade clean. I might polish or stonewash it later on.
-Titanium lock face is hardened. You can see the color change on the inside face of the lock bar.

My only real gripe with the knife is that I get a little bit of front-to-back blade play. It helped to increase the lockbar tension, but it still moves a little bit. If I hold the knife in a fist like I’m using it, the blade doesn’t move. But if I hold it without applying pressure on the lockbar, I get a fraction of a millimeter of play.

I noticed that the lock face of the blade is actually slightly hollow ground. Is that normal procedure? Could it be part of the issue? My other frame-locks have flat-ground lock faces, but they also all have steel lockbar inserts.

Just snagged one on the exchange! Finally!!!!! I'm the one who started this thread and I still don't have one, haha. Can't wait to get it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks! Anyone want to rave about it or post some pics to get me excited? Or let me know anything else about it?

Thanks! Anyone want to rave about it or post some pics to get me excited? Or let me know anything else about it?

Got my chef today. Love it! A tiny bit of lock stick but I'm sure it will break in.

My lock up is pretty late. Now I'm not a stickler for crazy early lockup and I'm not of the opinion that steel inserts are necessary...but I need a little peace of mind. Can someone please tell me that this is fine and nothing to worry about?

0bf348c7e6cef817aca794643e3b3153.jpg

79dd5cfbb1f9c0a977a8bff71ebb10a8.jpg

I was under the impression that his designs in particular have late lockup, and it is intentional.

I was under the impression that his designs in particular have late lockup, and it is intentional.

Thanks! I know that Slysz designs tend to have later lockup but this just seems a lot later than my slysz bowie. I'm sure it's fine. I just have to not worry!

Alright!

So I received my spydiechef as mentioned above. I got it used off of the exchange. Upon first receiving there was some lock rock. After opening and closing for a while we entered into late lockup and lock stick territory.

After opening and closing even more we seem to have settled into incredibly smooth action with super solid, late lockup and no stick.

Now that all that is out of the way I gotta say...I LOVE this knife. The slimness, the construction, but most of all the blade. I especially like how the blade looks almost too big for the knife when open.

This one is a total keeper! And well worth the wait. I'll need to snap some pictures this weekend!

Back