• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Bad Steven Ketchen <spketch> MIA: Overbooked? Off the grid? Lost his phone? What's up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great work on the pic Joe!! Too cool!!
I had spoken to Steve a few times before Peter started this thread. He never said a word about an illness, and was trying to get me to send him a few knives.
Definitely no illness.
Joe

I think we need to "right" your knife, so through the magic of editing (& making use of the shadow area)...... Presto Chango....

On a side note,...I really hope this doesn't turn out that Steve was ill, as he HAS worked with a lot of nasty scall stuff. I recently found out how just a little Cocobolo sanding can be!

About 5 days ago I used a 1/2" drum sander to add an easy opening slot, and a slight rounding of butt end of an old Schrade Walden 136 Hawkbill. I used just a simple hospital style paper mask, AND tried to hold my breath during the actual sanding part.

But in the end my arms were itchy for a few days, even after several showers,..but more importantly,...my lungs have been irritated and I've been coughing regularly and bringing up some mucus also. I knew Cocobolo is one of the nasty woods to sand,..but I've done lots of G10 this way and so far no real problem with that. Gonna look into a respirator style mask soon for sure....

BTW, I also ended up converting it to a Sheepsfoot blade. Because of all the previous sharpening done, had I wanted a proper Hawkbill it would have taken away much more metal. I added a half stop too, and a thicker 1/8" SS pivot while I had the blade out. Beefy folder now for sure..... :cool:

I think we need to "right" your knife, so through the magic of editing (& making use of the shadow area)...... Presto Chango.... :)
Sq2f33Q.jpg

On a side note,...I really hope this doesn't turn out that Steve was ill, as he HAS worked with a lot of nasty scall stuff. I recently found out how just a little Cocobolo sanding can be!

About 5 days ago I used a 1/2" drum sander to add an easy opening slot, and a slight rounding of butt end of an old Schrade Walden 136 Hawkbill. I used just a simple hospital style paper mask, AND tried to hold my breath during the actual sanding part.

But in the end my arms were itchy for a few days, even after several showers,..but more importantly,...my lungs have been irritated and I've been coughing regularly and bringing up some mucus also. I knew Cocobolo is one of the nasty woods to sand,..but I've done lots of G10 this way and so far no real problem with that. Gonna look into a respirator style mask soon for sure....

BTW, I also ended up converting it to a Sheepsfoot blade. Because of all the previous sharpening done, had I wanted a proper Hawkbill it would have taken away much more metal. I added a half stop too, and a thicker 1/8" SS pivot while I had the blade out. Beefy folder now for sure..... :cool:
Well Joe thankyou kindly.. as I have stated before I am computer dumb.. I can reload, I can sharpen steel, I can follow a blood trail.. I have spent better than a week solo hunting up in the mountains ( found out I had quite the imagination) but computers not so much.

On a side note I have written Steve a letter and held out an olive branch.. whether he responds remais to be seen.. but I do believe he can rebound if willing. Of course a brief apology or explanation would go a long way in soothing some wounds at this point. He is a true craftsman and I would hate to see him hermit up when so many folks really do cherish his art.
That said I Informed him that I would be willing to work with him and posting positive reviews if he wishes to continue... we will see.

Major kudos to you E Ernest Wohleb !!
After watching how you handled yourself in this thread, I can say with confidence.....you’re a good dude!
I’m still hoping Steve will drop by with at least an apology and some kind of explanation.
Joe

I have been and still am very skeptical about this craftsman. :( That being said, if he was just trying to get the law off his back, he could just slap any half-baked scales on and send them out. He has, however, apparently kept his high quality standards. :cool: This is a good sign and, so far, also shows he didn't sell the knives. :thumbsup:

That’s a great point......he never sold the knives.
Now the mystery deepens.....if he didn’t sell those knives......what is the reason for this clusterf+ck??
Even more confused now.
Joe

I have been and still am very skeptical about this craftsman. :( That being said, if he was just trying to get the law off his back, he could just slap any half-baked scales on and send them out. He has, however, apparently kept his high quality standards. :cool: This is a good sign and, so far, also shows he didn't sell the knives. :thumbsup:

A Charlie Foxtrot is a Charlie Foxtrot and looking for an explanation is another Charlie Foxtrot. :D

......what is the reason for this clusterf+ck??
Even more confused now.
Joe

Allow me to clear it up for ya...

Steps for a successful CF:

1. Moving customers ahead of others who have been patiently waiting their time in queue, for starters.

2. Claiming to have jobs "finished" when they weren't even begun.

3. Promising multiple times to ship the "finished" knives mentioned in #2.

4. Beg for upfront money.

5. Assure your customer that you're unable to work because of hardship. CAUTION!!! BE 100% absolutely sure you've collected the funds before you play the hardship card, however.

6. Now you're freed up to begin some work on the sly. Keep the trusting suckers revolving on the wash, rinse, & spin cycle. MO MONEY MO MONEY MO MONEY!!!

7. Abruptly cut off ALL FORMS of communication with the guys who've already paid up front.

8. Wait out the 180 day PayPal G&S refund window...PATIENCE here is the key-- don't break radio silence and don't break character!!!

9. Hope the suckers don't follow thru and actually file a PayPal claim.*

*But if they do recover their G&S funds, at least you still have their blades, you've got that, at least.**

**That is unless they get your local LEO on the case...in event of that, you may have to get yer sorry ass in gear and actually do the work you contracted and deliver a finished <up to spec> product under duress.

Got it? Hope that helps

Allow me to clear it up for ya...

Steps for a successful CF:

1. Moving customers ahead of others who have been patiently waiting their time in queue, for starters.

2. Claiming to have jobs "finished" when they weren't even begun.

3. Promising multiple times to ship the "finished" knives mentioned in #2.

4. Beg for upfront money.

5. Assure your customer that you're unable to work because of hardship. CAUTION!!! BE 100% absolutely sure you've collected the funds before you play the hardship card, however.

6. Now you're freed up to begin some work on the sly. Keep the trusting suckers revolving on the wash, rinse, & spin cycle. MO MONEY MO MONEY MO MONEY!!!

7. Abruptly cut off ALL FORMS of communication with the guys who've already paid up front.

8. Wait out the 180 day PayPal G&S refund window...PATIENCE here is the key-- don't break radio silence and don't break character!!!

9. Hope the suckers don't follow thru and actually file a PayPal claim.*

*But if they do recover their G&S funds, at least you still have their blades, you've got that, at least.**

**That is unless they get your local LEO on the case...in event of that, you may have to get yer sorry ass in gear and actually do the work you contracted and deliver a finished <up to spec> product under duress.

Got it? Hope that helps
Still confused...if he was outright running a scam the monetary reward was just enough to put him the realm of a felony but not enough to retire to a tropica paradise. In my case why did he send me the blanks of micarta that I had settled on for the next project I was going to have him do? I never paid for them? After so many years of outstanding work why did he pull the plug and trash his reputation. I agree without LEO involvement we would still be screaming into the wind.
The note I received with my order was: Sorry for the delay sir. Here is the green tweed micarta blanks for your Gayle Bradley. WTF am I gonna do with them I don't know.. if I could do scales I would go into bussiness myself. Maybe the Det. Put the fear of your gonna pay with jail time if you don't piney up.
As a side note he was reading his emails because he had stopped responding to my emails before I informed him of what material I wanted for the next project.
If he set out to committ fraud he is a clumsy inept scammer or just dumb?

I was seriously considering trying to get him to make me scales for a couple of knives a few months ago, glad I found this thread first and put an end to that idea.

Regardless of whether he is sort of coming through on things, the fact that some people are considering welcoming him back into the community after all this is mind boggling to me.

I was seriously considering trying to get him to make me scales for a couple of knives a few months ago, glad I found this thread first and put an end to that idea.

Regardless of whether he is sort of coming through on things, the fact that some people are considering welcoming him back into the community after all this is mind boggling to me.
There are strings attached and up to this point Steve has made no move to try.. nor is he responding to anY I queries.. so whatever strange mind set he resides appearently he plans to stay their.

Do you believe people who make mistakes should get AT LEAST ONE CHANCE to redeem themselves?

I do.

Ketchen was a solid guy for quite a long while here on BF. This is the first time <that I'm aware of> that he got sideways with anyone.

I think that counts for quite a bit.

I started this thread because I felt like I had to speak up. Likewise, I feel like I need to speak up on this issue of "welcoming" him back. I think he deserves a shot at redemption based on his history here, and more specifically, with me personally.

Having said that, there's no way I'd subsidize a "welcome back" party for him to the extent that I've done business with him in the past. But OTOH, I'd have no problem sending him a small job as long as he didn't require upfront $$$.

But that'd have to assume he'd likewise want to do business with me, wouldn't it?

And at this point, he's refused to communicate with me in any way...hell, I didn't even rate a personal handwritten note enclosed in my parcel like the other customers did...so be it. Life's good here in TN... :)

This is what I said earlier, I was almost speechless lol. Guess standards aren't real high? I mean sure people deserve second chances but hasn't this guy had about 35 of them by now?

Been a lurking viewer since day one...

I'm all for 'second' chances. There are concessions:

1. Restitution to all parties
2. Communication openly and visible.
2. Admittance of problem, and a promise to do a better job for the future.

Even then it's up to the individual if they want to take that chance. Given there are quality skills which have (since) been delivered, the man has shown redemptive ways.

However, he showed us through his hands, but missing through the more powerful medium: Words.

P2.1 You're MY hero. Very notable to watch you handle this. I admire your skills and patience. The whole thread elevated, instead of degenerated with your guidance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back