• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Bad Steven Ketchen <spketch> MIA: Overbooked? Off the grid? Lost his phone? What's up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
---
I'm all for 'second' chances. There are concessions:

1. Restitution to all parties
2. Communication openly and visible.
2. Admittance of problem, and a promise to do a better job for the future.

Jim, thanks for the kind words and I ATTEMPT to keep in mind how I'd like to be treated if I ever found myself in a similar situation...in a word >>>> CONSIDERATION. Another one of those things I think everyone deserves to be granted from each one of us as a default setting ... at least until they've proven beyond doubt they don't merit it.

Ketchen has nearly cleared his books with everyone involved with this thread, AFAIK DNAIrradiator DNAIrradiator is the only brother still whistlin in the breeze. But we've got no way of knowing if anyone else got stiffed by sketchenscales and just didn't step out of the shadows and if anyone on other various social media still have overdue work with Ketchen...who knows about them?

On your listing, #1 of course is PRIME!!! But #2 is equally important. Now, as for your 2nd #2 ;)--- I'm not holding out much hope.

Last edited:
Hey all, I sent Steve an email about a week ago imploring him to contact me about my current knives and if he had any plans to try to continue his scale business, but (as you likely all have guessed by now!) no response. My concern is that I’ve moved out of state since he went off the radar and while I’ve given my current address to both Steve via email (again, crickets from that end) and the Clinton Detective, who knows if Steve actually has my address to send my knives. Who knows if I’ll ever see them or someone at my old house is enjoying some free knives. :(

Hey all, I sent Steve an email about a week ago imploring him to contact me about my current knives and if he had any plans to try to continue his scale business, but (as you likely all have guessed by now!) no response. My concern is that I’ve moved out of state since he went off the radar and while I’ve given my current address to both Steve via email (again, crickets from that end) and the Clinton Detective, who knows if Steve actually has my address to send my knives. Who knows if I’ll ever see them or someone at my old house is enjoying some free knives. :(

what a damn shame...that's a hotly coveted blade you had <have!> there....hope springs eternal and I'm still hopeful.

Well I have emailed Steve.. no response, I wrote him a letter no response yet, called his number shot to a full mail box.

DNA I feel your pain brother and I hold out hope that you get your knife back.

In the letter I wrote to Steve that he had an opportunity rarely given to get his bussiness back. Told him to come on this forum with an explanation. He didn't have to go into minute detail if it was personal stuff but a brief explanation was needed. I also,told him I would be willing to put my Gayle Bradley on the line and would post a positive review if things went smoothly. And most importantly make sure all got their knives back.

So far no communication from him and DNA still has yet to receive his knife.

The only positive I can take from this mess.. those of us who have received our knives may now be in possession of collector pieces " the last of the Sketchenscales mess knives"

DNA I would give it a few more days then email the Detective and let him know what's going on.

In my experience, the USPS has been very good with forwarding mail. A little paperwork and you should be good to go.

Mail forwarding services from your old residence ends a few months after you’ve moved away. The USPS will not continue forwarding letters and packages forever. I’ve had at least one other shipment mistakenly sent to my old address months ago that was not forwarded...

it has been approximately 2 weeks since I wrote/sent a letter to Steve outlying a course of action he could take to start regaining his reputation. I have yet to receive a response, this is the third letter I have written to him with no response to any of the letters. I have emailed him several times with negative results. I have called his phone number numerous times with all calls going to automated msg system that is full and not accepting any calls.

DNA has yet to receive his knife.

If it weren’t for the intervention on the part,of the Clinton PD I believe none of us would have received their property back.

The only conclusion I can come up with is that a once valued craftsman has crashed and burned and is not interested in making amends or continuing his bussiness.

So with the demise of Sketchenscales does anyone know of someone who is currently doing scale work. I did call Spyderco and ask if they had any intentions or would be interested in starting an in-house custom shop... no interest at this time.. time to write Sal.

I've received no response from Steve about my Spydeco Air that he has.

It is a shame. I received some amazing scales for Gayle Bradley 1 & 2 before the meltdown. Have used Cuscadi recently after reading this thread.

Many months ago. And as recently as a few weeks.
I'm sorry you didn't come across this thread sooner. :(

Maybe you've read thru most of this, but the silver lining <if there can be consider to be one :rolleyes:> is that Ketchen has come thru with MOST of his jobs with the affected members who've posted here. But not before refunds were forcibly collected via PayPal and Clinton, MA law enforcement got involved and knocked on some doors.

I'm VERY SURPRISED he's still taking on new jobs...but we're aware of AT LEAST one other brother <besides yourself> who is still out in the cold at this point.

Read the posts here, that's why I created this thread-- for information about what to expect when dealing with Ketchen.

Keep us updated. Good Luck...:)

Damn I hope he is not trying to lure anyone else into his scam. Perhaps he thinks he is in the clear and can rip a few folks off.
Anyone just finding this thread the phone number to the Clinton PD is listed in this thread. You can also look the ClintomPD up on the web and they have the email address of the Detective working this case... contact him by all means he has been effective for a few of us... good luck Hoping you get your knives back.

It is a shame. I received some amazing scales for Gayle Bradley 1 & 2 before the meltdown. Have used Cuscadi recently after reading this thread.
Can you supply a way to get ahold of cascading.. how does his work compare to Sketchen?

Can you supply a way to get ahold of cascading.. how does his work compare to Sketchen?
CUStom SCale DIvision is a European company, I think cuscadi.de is their German website but you can also just Google them. I can't speak to their scale work (other than the photos look amazing) but I ordered a backspacer from them - it came very quickly considering it was from Germany, and the fit was perfect on my Techno.

Hi guys, quick update that there's no update. :( I emailed the Clinton PD Detective a couple of weeks ago and he said he would personally deliver my address to Steve and check in to see what the situation is currently, but I've heard nothing back.

I'm wondering if he's taking new jobs again, and I also wonder if someone would even attest to them setting up a new job with him here just to keep it all on the down and low and off the BF radar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back