Strider SMF vs Hinderer XM-24

To be perfectly honest I have never understood why people buy factory knives in this price range. If you're ready to drop several hundred bucks on a knife why don't you just go with a custom? The fit and finish will be better and you can have it customized to your specs.

The answer to this questing varies heavily on the forum on which it is posted. There are many members of BFC that dislike the owners of SKI and it tends to permeate every single answer. Truthfully, I sold an XM and I own an SMF. The fit and finish was on par and the lock rock issues that plagued Strider at one point has been eradicated by their new lock geometry. There are people who would claim SKI has perfected the frame lock. Both knives are excellent. I would recommend holding both, then making the decision.

You'll notice most the qc horror stories for strider are before they upped the quality and lock geometry. Both my examples are flawless, heck my SMF feels like it's running on bearings. I knew when I opened this thread that within the first 3 replies there would be flames thrown at mick, or people who haven't has a strider saying the qc sucks.... Either knife you pick is a win, warranty on striders us kick ass

To be perfectly honest I have never understood why people buy factory knives in this price range. If you're ready to drop several hundred bucks on a knife why don't you just go with a custom? The fit and finish will be better and you can have it customized to your specs.

To be perfectly honest, I have seen more customs than not where the fit and finish was not better than my XMs and quite frankly, with three sizes of XMs available, there is one to meet many people's specifications.

The Strider folder design stands alone. Not many mention this fact. I don't think a folder can be made any stronger.

I'd much rather give Strider $500 as opposed to paying the laughable secondary market prices created by Hinderer's business model.
The XM's that I have handled were well built, but not that impressive considering the mark-up.
I've bashed the Strider name all over this forum as well, but I know they have stepped up their game and have an incredible warranty, so I'll settle for an SMF before spending close to a grand on a production/mid-tech knife.

You can think bad of me if you want, but I want a smf in cpm154 and 3v. And sng in zwear and a xm 18 20cv. An xm24 would be awesome too. Buy a hinderer if you can.

Strider SMF CC was my first "nice" folder which I got years ago (and well before I learned of any of the ethical issues of the company/owner). Wouldn't have bought it knowing this information but I do love the knife and it has a regular spot in my daily rotation. A while after I got a Hinderer XM-24. It is a beautiful knife. It's big (and heavy) so may not be for everyone but I love it. While not specifically asked here I just got a brand new XM 18 3.5" - WOW. I tended to like a slightly bigger blade so hesitated for years going after this particular knife but boy was I missing out. Smooth as butter, great size (even for big hands). My new favorite folder. Fit and finish unlike anything I have held (disclosure I haven't had a chance yet to get my hands on some of the most sought after customs - read "Laconico" :)) but the XM-18 is one amazing blade.

I prefer the lighter weight, stronger detent, and neato, integral G10 handle/backspacer of Striders.
Price should also be considered.

I own or have owned both Strider and Hinderer....in pretty much every size and configuration. With that in mind I think my preference has come down on the side of the Hinderer.....smoother, a bit more refined and the ability to customize with different scales helps to continually renew the beauty of the knife! I still think Striders are great knives....bomb-proof and completely worth the money(in my opinion) and I plan to own them both again soon.....just so I can continue to do scientific research of course!

Not the same models, but here's my take on the two brands.

I held out for the longest time on a Strider for moral reasons, but after awhile I was too drawn into their design and had to own one. The SnG z-wear with new lock geometry I picked up was great at first, although the f&f wasn't there, it was still a solid knife. But, within a week of using it, the lock became super sticky, and developed a good amount of side to side play. Some pencil lead on the lockface fixed the stickiness, and I'm sure I could have tightened the pivot to remove the play, but in my opinion, a knife in this price range shouldn't take this much work to get it right. On the other hand the handle shape was surprisingly ergonomic in a lot of different grips, super light for the size, yet still felt like it could take abuse.

My XM-18 however has all the benefits the SnG has (except for weight), with none of its issues. I'd say the main drawback, compared to the SnG, would be the added weight, and the secondary market prices. Also they both have different ergos and for me the SnG felt slightly better in hand. If the XMs were readily available to everyone at first responder pricing, it would be no question which knife I'd want first. In the end, I think both knives have a place in the community and it's worth it for any knife enthusiast to handle and use each knife at least once to form their own opinions about them.

I prefer the lighter weight, stronger detent, and neato, integral G10 handle/backspacer of Striders.
Price should also be considered.

I've had both sizes, both grinds of XM-18's. Nice quality, but the 3" grip is too short (i.e. small Sebenza) and the 3.5" is a bit too large, too thick, and heavy...and the detent is dangerously weak, IMO.
I would prefer a 3.5" slicer grind rather than the Spanto, as the Spanto is much too heavy-duty for my casual EDC. I cannot even imagine trying to lug around a XM-24. LEO/EMT pricing is probably fair, but not the otherwise-inflated terrible prices.
I presently own five Striders of various models and there is no finer PROVEN company for customer service... PROVEN to me by way of my own repair experience with the Strider company.

Not the same models, but here's my take on the two brands.

I held out for the longest time on a Strider for moral reasons, but after awhile I was too drawn into their design and had to own one. The SnG z-wear with new lock geometry I picked up was great at first, although the f&f wasn't there, it was still a solid knife. But, within a week of using it, the lock became super sticky, and developed a good amount of side to side play. Some pencil lead on the lockface fixed the stickiness, and I'm sure I could have tightened the pivot to remove the play, but in my opinion, a knife in this price range shouldn't take this much work to get it right. On the other hand the handle shape was surprisingly ergonomic in a lot of different grips, super light for the size, yet still felt like it could take abuse.

My XM-18 however has all the benefits the SnG has (except for weight), with none of its issues. I'd say the main drawback, compared to the SnG, would be the added weight, and the secondary market prices. Also they both have different ergos and for me the SnG felt slightly better in hand. If the XMs were readily available to everyone at first responder pricing, it would be no question which knife I'd want first. In the end, I think both knives have a place in the community and it's worth it for any knife enthusiast to handle and use each knife at least once to form their own opinions about them.
Strider now carbidizes their like face as of a few months ago. Also, knife maintenance is end-user responsibility. My XMs that I have owned all needed adjustment and they weren't even coated blades. When you buy a coated blade built to high tolerances, once the knife is broken in, of course some side to side play will develop. Pop the loctite and tighten the pivot. Problem solved. Again, my XMs developed the same play after use.

No way. I have had A LOT of custom knives in the relative price point, and rarely are they up to the same quality.

The Strider folder design stands alone. Not many mention this fact. I don't think a folder can be made any stronger.

Really? How does it stand alone, exactly?

There are lots of tests out there that show how framelocks are not the strongest lock out there.

Matter of fact, since the Hinderer has a stouter grind, AND a titanium liner under the G10, AND has the thumbstud contacting both sides of the frame, I'd guess that they are in fact stronger than a Strider, not to mention other knives with the same attributes.

Really? How does it stand alone, exactly?

There are lots of tests out there that show how framelocks are not the strongest lock out there.

Matter of fact, since the Hinderer has a stouter grind, AND a titanium liner under the G10, AND has the thumbstud contacting both sides of the frame, I'd guess that they are in fact stronger than a Strider, not to mention other knives with the same attributes.

I am a huge fan of Strider's integral handle-backspacer. Lightweight, rigid, simple construction. Less compounding tolerances (more rigid).
Strider's handle is two halves, titanium and the G10 slab. A Hinderer is a G10 scale, titanium liner, titanium stand-offs, and finally the titanium framelock. The Hinderer is double the layers. Neither is universally better. Simply noting differences.

Arguing absolute knife strength is useless. No data. I have never seen any pictures of a good folder handle failing.

Arguing absolute knife strength is useless. No data. I have never seen any pictures of a good folder handle failing.

Pretty much what I was implying.

I will admit to having a few Striders pass through my hands, through cheap used purchases or trades. I do not own any of them now.

The one SMF I had had been through a fire and been rebuilt by a member here, and DID NOT have the one piece G10 slab. It had a G10 handle/backspacer that had been superglued together (!) and shaped like it was rebuilt by a child in a rudimentary shop class. I (obviously) cannot say much about Strider regarding my SMF, aside from the design. Seemed like an enormous pocketful for a little short cutting edge.

Can a Strider SMF open up a letter easily?

I do not own a Hinderer or a Strider but would love to have either ,though there are a few other knives i would buy be for those two.

Back