Strider SMF vs Hinderer XM-24

Enough to disqualify Striders from being the "strongest".

I've not had one, but I would say an AD-10 would put up one hell of a fight, too.

The lionsteel sr-1 ti is one solid piece also.

They are both nice midtech knives, however I feel that the XM is a nicer knife.

I never could find any faults with mine. Ridiculously smooth, great detent,(on the ones I have had anyways) super solid, always centered, 20% lockup that almost never moves.

Not really.

Anyway, from that rationale, wouldn't an integral titanium one-piece handle be stronger still?

The integral back spacer and handle slab can be weaker than the separate components bolted together, the integral unit will be more prone to stress risers.

The reality however is that either system will very very rarely (try never) be subjected to the forced required to cause permanent deformation/fracture.

I like the finger choil on the SMF's and Sng's. Having that feature on the knife allows easy choke up on the blade with your thumb. This adds to the versitility of the knife. Both Striders and Hinderers are very well made. Striders however are alot easier to obtain and are less expensive.

I recently purchased an SNG and I have to say I really like the knife. If I could get a Hinderer for the actual market price it would be on my list but the secondary market pricing just pushes it out of my price range (For Now). I believe if I could get one I would also find it to be an excellent knife to work with. Right now I will be content with my ZT0561 which is a tank of a blade and a pleasure to use.

The one that doesn't weigh a half pound.

Not sure what your reasoning is going with a 4" blade but the SNG is the perfect Strider... ...the SMF is nice too but the SNG is the perfect size and weight for my liking.

Yeah. A ti frame lock with a small locking surface:rolleyes:

If you are referring to what I think you are referring, that is a generally accepted way to design the point of contact on a liner/framelock.
My sources are Bob Terzuola's book "Tactical Folding Knife: A Study of the Anatomy and Construction of the Liner-Locked Folder" and Emerson's website.

Terzuola says the contact patch should be 0.090-0.125 inches.
Here is an image from http://emersonknives.com/blog/emerson-knife-anatomy/
LockInterfaceDiagram.jpg

Some knifemakers say that a small contact patch is not ideal, but it is definitely not wrong.
Of course, you may be more knowledgeable than these two knifemakers, I am just relaying what I have read.

If you are referring to what I think you are referring, that is a generally accepted way to design the point of contact on a liner/framelock.
My sources are Bob Terzuola's book "Tactical Folding Knife: A Study of the Anatomy and Construction of the Liner-Locked Folder" and Emerson's website.

Terzuola says the contact patch should be 0.090-0.125 inches.
Here is an image from http://emersonknives.com/blog/emerson-knife-anatomy/
LockInterfaceDiagram.jpg

Some knifemakers say that a small contact patch is not ideal, but it is definitely not wrong.
Of course, you may be more knowledgeable than these two knifemakers, I am just relaying what I have read.
more about tiframe locks in general. They aren't as strong and durable as some of the proprietary locks out there now. I remember andrew demko said that the strongest ti frame locks he tested could only take a reaction kf the weight a triad lock can take. I'd imagine the same is true for axis lock and ball bearing locks given most of them have a steel on steel on steel lockup that is less likely to deform and will wear better against each other. My whole loint is that it seeems people really kid themselves with how strong all of these are when something like a benchmade contego would laugh off things that would break a strider or hinderer.

more about tiframe locks in general. They aren't as strong and durable as some of the proprietary locks out there now. I remember andrew demko said that the strongest ti frame locks he tested could only take a reaction kf the weight a triad lock can take. I'd imagine the same is true for axis lock and ball bearing locks given most of them have a steel on steel on steel lockup that is less likely to deform and will wear better against each other. My whole loint is that it seeems people really kid themselves with how strong all of these are when something like a benchmade contego would laugh off things that would break a strider or hinderer.

True. A folder is all about trade-offs. I have personally tested my SnG by wedging the blade and leaning on the handle. The knife withstood much more pressure than I could ever accidentally put it through. I owned a Benchmade mini-Barrage and it did not pass my tests.

The Tri-Ad lock is stronger, but it is less convenient for me to operate than a liner/framelock. Since a framelock is strong enough for my uses and the most convenient, it is my choice. Pretty much any well-made lock is strong enough for 99% of people. It is just preference.

Judging by the SMF I owned, and the XM-24 I owned, I would go with the Hinderer.

Yeah. A ti frame lock with a small locking surface:rolleyes:

This isn't a lock smack talk thread, please re-read the title and stay on topic.

If you want to smack talk other brands there is a cold steel forum for that.

Back