Suddenly you wake and find...

Gary W. Graley

“Imagination is more important than knowledge"
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
...that mysteriously ALL of your knives are gone missing, possibly stolen but they are no where to be found.

Question, which 4 knives do you have to run out and get as soon as possible, those 4 that you just feel you have to have;

For me, the following;

Small fixed blade by Nathan Carothers

Nathan_EDC_ by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

LionSteel Bestman single blade version;

IMG_7362 by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

Swiss Army Pioneer

Pioneer by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

and Swiss Army Executive

Untitled by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

Fortunately, it was just a bad dream for me, all present and accounted for ;)

but were they missing, they would be the first ones I would search out to replace right away.

What would be your top 3 or 4 that you know you would need to replace right away??
G2

and yes, this is similar to "if you only had one knife what would it be?" but with a small twist and ... it's been a while ;)

Last edited:
This is a tough one. All my fixers have been customized and not easily replaceable, but there would be a Carothers or two on the list. Most likely my FK2.

But I am down to 4 pocket knives that after several years I've found I'm content with. Two Shirogorovs and two Spydercos.

If I'm going for what is replaceable, commercially available/not customized, then these two...

20190817_191729~01.jpg

This is a tough one. All my fixers have been customized and not easily replaceable, but there would be a Carothers or two on the list. Most likely my FK2.

But I am down to 4 pocket knives that after several years I've found I'm content with. Two Shirogorovs and two Spydercos.
I would assume, for the sake of the thought experiment, that all makers are alive and have room in their books for you :D

...that mysteriously ALL of your knives are gone missing, possibly stolen but they are no where to be found.

Question, which 4 knives do you have to run out and get as soon as possible, those 4 that you just feel you have to have;

For me, the following;

Small fixed blade by Nathan Carothers

Nathan_EDC_ by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

LionSteel Bestman single blade version;

IMG_7362 by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

Swiss Army Pioneer

Pioneer by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

and Swiss Army Executive

Fortunately, it was just a bad dream for me, all present and accounted for ;)

but were they missing, they would be the first ones I would search out to replace right away.

What would be your top 3 or 4 that you know you would need to replace right away??
G2

and yes, this is similar to "if you only had one knife what would it be?" but with a small twist and ... it's been a while anyways ;)

I hope it never happens...Most of my 50+ collection knives are very rare & discontinued models that you won't find in shops... If that happens I'd die from heart attack before I will be even able to realize what happened.

The first 3 are easy:
SAK rambler
Small inkosi PJ DP
Large sebenza 21 insingo with red linen micarta inlays

The 4th is more difficult and I can make a list of 20 honorable mentions for this position :) but because I will need something pocket friendly and expendable I think I would pick the Benchmade Bugout ranger green or the basic version of the manly Wasp

You gotta stop eating just before bedtime, Gary.
I'll have to ruminate a bit before I answer...and dig up pics.
Don
1. CRK Regular Sebbie...just because it stands by itself...on a pedestal.
2. Spyderco Slysz Bowie...wonderful EDC folder.
3. S!K 4" fixed...
4. any one of several small 3" fixed for cross-draw carry.

Last edited:
Lol, good tip thanks !

and TRfromMT that's a beautiful knife right there ! edited to say that sheath is pretty cool too !
Just searched and read that it is Elephant skin on the top, pretty neat contrast there !

and that you did those scales yourself with hidden pins, amazing work!
G2

Last edited:
That's a tough one. I'd have to replace these four right away:

Alox Cadet
IMG_0675-X3.jpg

Churchill
DSC_0039-X3.jpg

Inkosi
IMG_0688-X3.jpg

And the Busse ASH
IMG_0713-X3.jpg

You mean after they find me sobbing in the corner of the room

Most of what I own are very hard to replace and would take some looking if I could find them at all, but I would immediately pick up a Sebena(likely small)-that should take care of my needs until the collection starts to build again. I don't need a fixed in a regular basis, but might pick up a Mora to tide me over there.

you know, come to think of it,
a knife having gone missing
could very well turn out to be
a wonderful opportunity and legit reason
to run along and obtain some other rad
knife to try out and have more fun
and gain further experiences with
the use of different knives.
imo, there is bound to be something
unsettling in a relationship
when trying to deja vu an ex with
uncanny replacement duplicates :)
but i understand deep loss.
i would want to replace any opinel, mora,
sak and leatherman if i could, but
predictablity justs comes along and
gets in the way of radical decision making ;-)
can't seem to rehabilitate for change...

I’d have to replace the ones that aren’t mine to lose:
Remington 2010 bullet knife
Remington 2012 bullet knife
Ontario 1971 pilot knife
CRKT Follow Through compact

BK-14 - EDC pocket fixed blade / mini survival knife

BK-15 - discontinued but AMAZING woods knife

Spyderco Salt 2 serrated - serrated EDC

Spyderco Tasman Salt serrated - emergency knife, always kept super sharp for rope, seatbelts, etc.

I'm assuming my fillet knives were spared, as well as my onboard boat safety / utility knives and also my spearfishing dive knives.

I'm not one of these guys that has 50-100 folding pocket knives and rotates my single EDC blade as I feel the desire.

I EDC a few core pieces (plus a Leatherman Squirt on my keychain, etc) EVERYDAY, and then rely on several specialty blades for different sports / applications / seasons.

Eg. A stainless Mora 546 in the boat to brain the fish I'm keeping for dinner, a Dexter 3.5" net knife to make large cuts on striped bass or to gut / gill fish, 3.5" dive knives on my weight belt for freediving / spearfishing, etc.

I feel naked without my core EDC blades on me. In the winter, I'm confident that I could survive with just the BK-14 if I was stranded in the woods / snowstorm.

In summer, controlled conditions, I have been able to be separated from it for a few days at a time, where blades over 3" or fixed blades are prohibited... But the Salt 2 really fills that gap, whenever starting a fire isn't the difference between life and death. (A BIC Mini works too!)

If it was 4 knives TOTAL.... It'd be a BK14, 7" Dexter Russell fillet knife, a dive knife and a Serrated Salt 2.

It's not the right tool for every job... But I could get by with those from a utilitarian standpoint.

I can do all food prep with that fillet knife (and have on previous trips), if needed. It just dulls it faster if I'm constantly bouncing it off a cutting board.

For a cubicle jockey in a temperate climate that goes home and plays video games, a Gerber EAB is everything you need. Awesome minimalist utility.

They would be kitchen knives. I use them far more than any other knives. And I would need them right away. Just go to the local wegmans and pick up a victorinox chef's knife and paring kit.

It would need to be magic for all my knives to be gone. I'd hate to see the holes in the dumb SOB that tried to steal them all.

This is so much easier than trimming my collection down to “which 4 would you keep” because it eliminates the sentimental ones.

As an example: If my Dads knife was stolen there would be no reason to buy another the new one is not his.

Buck 110
Randall Buxton fighter
Buck 212
Pairing knife

Sentimentality is such an anchor!

Last edited:
Back