Super Bowie, A True Workhorse!!

I had the shorter model, the knife looks good but handle is way too short and grinds not really good for anything except looks!My bark river bowie performed 10x better than this knife!Flat or convex grinds are much better than this type of grind!

Which model Bark River are you talking about? Are you sure it was 10 times better...not 7, 8 or 9 times better? What was it better at? Have you ever actually used the SOG Super Bowie or are you only talking about a different model than this thread is about?

I have a few BRKT knives, the Bravo1, Bravo2 and my favorite, the leather handled Teddy (no fuller) and they're all very nice.

It's a cool looking knife, and certainly capable. And I think massive hollow ground blades are pretty underrated for chopping.

However, I'm a little suspect of the tip for general field/survival type chores.

Have used smaller model, I like looks of this one, but am not sure how it performs, was thinking of getting it too for long time now!Had the one same as in pictures just little shorter, and the handle was terribly short, and not sure what that kind of grind is for......I tested it against bark river vest pocket bowie............and they cant compare at all in performance!!!1085 heat treated by bark river blows away aus8 in all aspects!If you have some bark river knives you know what im talking about!

Have used smaller model, I like looks of this one, but am not sure how it performs, was thinking of getting it too for long time now!Had the one same as in pictures just little shorter, and the handle was terribly short, and not sure what that kind of grind is for......I tested it against bark river vest pocket bowie............and they cant compare at all in performance!!!1085 heat treated by bark river blows away aus8 in all aspects!If you have some bark river knives you know what im talking about!

The only BRKT's I have are made of A2 (I don't own any 1085 Bark River's) and they've worked very well for me BUT so have the SOG fixed blades I've used. I have a couple Tech Bowies that I like a lot (very well made) but the SOG knives that I've used the most and would recommend to anyone are the Super Bowie and the Seal Pup Elite (PE). I've taken the Super Bowie with me and my sons on a few camping trips and I couldn't be more pleased with it, it's a much bigger knife than the other SOG Bowies and handles all my cutting/chopping needs. I bought the Seal Pup Elite almost as an afterthought but it turns out that I like it much better than the original Seki Japan made Seal Pup and its become my most often used fixed blade around the house and in the yard...a great design and very useful size.

If you get the chance try out the Super Bowie, I really think you'll be surprised by how well it preforms.
Take care.

I wish it was made of a2.....thats the only thing that keeps me from buying it!I have few other sog folders made in japan...and theyre of amazing quality!

Don't know anything about a2 bro. I really like the aus-8 in the super Bowie and seal pup elite. Tough, holds an ebge we'll and easy to maintain

45c5dd3a-6134-d4d7.jpg

My son & i baton it through so much knotted, seasoned oak the other night, if the tip, or any other part of this knife was gonna break, it would have. My custom knives are O1 & 1080 for heavy chopper, and the AUS in my Super Bowie & Pup Elite have shocked me. Somebody has s great HT

Last edited:
Cool! Anybody have side by side comparison pics of a Superbowie next to a Trident or Tech Bowie?
The Super Bowie is awesome but I would love this even more if the blade was in the 9 inch range.

The Super Bowie (7.5" blade) is about 2.5" longer than the Tech Bowie (6.25" blade) and the entire knife is just a larger, thicker overall format. I like both knives, I have two Tech Bowie's (1 black and 1 uncoated) but the Super Bowie feels even thicker in the hand to me than the older Seki Japan TigerShark Bowie. Hopefully someone can post a pic of them side by side for you.

I'm interested in doing some.trading for a Tigershark, old or new , maybe one that someone got & they don't like the big old thing. pm me
45c5dfc1-5088-1ec6.jpg

Maybe even this Bad Boy for the right one(older unserrated ones)
This knife has been Work Hardened, & is a Legend among Super Bowies .....but you only live once, & need to learn to give what you have put yourself into to experience something knew.
I had a life changing car wreck(Dukes of Hazard style except I didn't make the jump & destroyed my rt femur) so now I have a titanium one, learning to walk & just cut hand almost off , surgery to keep fingers.
Anyway I am disabled now & going through the recovery process & I want a Tigershark, but no funds....Chris should just send me one to test out for him & post the pics, like I did the Super Bowie (can't. help but wish;)

Last edited:
Great post and great pictures. Maybe there is a future for this. Thanks for the support.
I haven't forgot this quote Chris, i have been doing custom designing & testing for the past 2 yrs. Man have I learned Alot! I think. i need a Tigershark to show all these Bk-9's , Rats, Esses ... that SOG is an extremely tough & functional knife that is my Factory blade choice. Again its time to show the wilderness world there functionality.Please pm me

I'm interested in doing some.trading for a Tigershark, old or new , maybe one that someone got & they don't like the big old thing. pm me
45c5dfc1-5088-1ec6.jpg

Maybe even this Bad Boy for the right one(older unserrated ones)
This knife has been Work Hardened, & is a Legend among Super Bowies .....but you only live once, & need to learn to give what you have put yourself into to experience something knew.
I had a life changing car wreck(Dukes of Hazard style except I didn't make the jump & destroyed my rt femur) so now I have a titanium one, learning to walk & just cut hand almost off , surgery to keep fingers.
Anyway I am disabled now & going through the recovery process & I want a Tigershark, but no funds....Chris should just send me one to test out for him & post the pics, like I did the Super Bowie (can't. help but wish;)

I'm sorry to hear about your accident and hope that you get to feeling better soon. I had a highway accident on my motorcycle in 04 and after they bolted me back together it was a long and difficult road back but doable. Obviously every accident is different but I hope that you are able to get back to feeling like your old self as soon as possible.
Best of luck!

Last edited:
I'm sorry to hear about your accident and hope that you get to feeling better soon. I had a highway accident on my motorcycle in 04 and after they bolted me back together it was a long and difficult road back but doable. Obviously every accident is different but I hope that you are able to get back to feeling like your old self as soon as possibly.
Best of luck!
Thank you friend. I broke 3 vertebrae in my back in 03 & they put a cage around my spine & a neurosimulator in my hip with a cable running up spinal column to try and reactivate nerves in left leg. This along with a few other surgeries I got most of ny feeling back in my left leg thank GOD but like most people with lower back injuries that side(my left) from my hip, down my hamsstring , calf & foot hurt constantly from the nerve damage. I was off work almost 2 yrs then got back into sub contracting against Drs orders. Do you know as bad as the back was it didn't come close to the pain of losing the rt femur(which ironically made my bad leg, my good leg)
And the recovery time, plus my rt leg is an 1" shorter(got a Frankenstein sole on my boot)
So I am disabled but I am not a quitter , so by Spring I am hoping to be back gator hunting;)

I'd buy an updated Tigershark with leather handle metal guard+pommel in a heartbeat!
A buddy of mine has a 90's special edition seki-made Tigershark blued (carbon steel i believe). They were offered by Cutlery Shoppe way back in the day when they were the best mailorder knife place around.
Too bad they never made them with metal guard and pommels like the more recent Super-bowie.
Still i'd be just as happy with a Super-bowie stretched out to a 9-ish inch blade length.

Back