Super polished edges

Do you guys have a dps you use as a standard or is it knife dependent? Thinking mostly of the 940 and Spyderco's in the last few pages.. OH, and the Esee.

Do you guys have a dps you use as a standard or is it knife dependent? Thinking mostly of the 940 and Spyderco's in the last few pages.. OH, and the Esee.

Definitely depends. Often it'll even change within the same model, depending on variations in how the individual example of the knife is ground, or what it's intended use is for. I've had some 940s that took an extremely skinny 15 degree per side bevel, and others that would have had a super wide bevel if I'd gone below 18.

I'd say as a rule I tend to almost always keep it under 20 degrees per side, and rarely below 15. My most common geometry is probably 17-18 degrees per side, but it's always dependent on the specific knife or customer needs, and also it depends on how much reprofiling I feel like doing on a given day as well.

Only on my kitchen knives. EDC's I normally try to match what's on there, on the last one I went quite a bit lower on the bevel then I normally do.

Had a bit of fun doing a re-tip and sharpen job. Re-tipped it freehand, using diamond stones to remove material from the spine to bring the point back, which I tend to prefer when dealing with rounded off or snapped tips.

Before:

15579279896487825131802051073298-jpg.1128719

And after:

qa5mtQs.jpg

Ad9Meai.jpg

I have and really like the Shapton Pro stones for mirror polishing and each grade puts the polish clearer and brighter from 5K>8K>12K. Green strop compound actually takes the polish down from the 12k, which is a perfectly clear mirror finish.

I stopped going for mirror on most knifes but if the freehand work leaves a less than perfect bevel or micro bevels, I’ll use them to really clean up any flaws.

Last edited:
Actually that was done with a Hapstone M2 and the 5 piece sic stones from Gritomatic. I did strop with green compound, .5 Venev diamond paste and a plain kangaroo strop. I know the area by the choil is buggered or Lansky’d , whichever you prefer, lol
Next one should be cleaner as I’m gonna use the diamond matrix stones I got on a loaner deal.

That particular knife is a $20 D2 efengrew amazon special I got quite some time ago. Took it to 17 degrees and it chipped all to hell and back so that was how it turned out at 20 dps

Back