Survivors: other knives you like

You inspired me to snoop around the TRC website and saw some great stuff including a couple different styles of jimping. Still, I'd love to see a pic of your knife. Bonus points if you post of pic or several of the knife in your hand :D

Not being able to remove handle scales would bother me, but I'm sure there is good reasoning behind it.

Great to hear about the sheath. I don't have any Busses so no Mashed Cat for me. You're not the first person I've heard from who has had amazing experience with those sheaths :thumbsup:
Haha no problem!
Have the day off work sick today so i'll take a few photos. Just be warned of my poor phone quality camera and uncoordinated photography skills or lack of :p

And also I remember while watching reviews on youtube, people have said the scales can be removed with a certain tool. I might email TRC and find out more because I like to get under and clean the tang too. I will let you know if i find out more about that incase that is an issue that would hold you back.

Anyway, check out their instagram, they do special runs on models (such as on mine the K1 has a fuller and DLC coating which is not available via their website). If you like their base models then the website is there but if you prefer the alternate versions, you need to be watch on instagram then email them.

https://www.instagram.com/trcknives/

Althought it is roughly the same size as the FK, for some reason it generally feels and looks smaller. Hard to explain what I mean but ye haha.

I think I understand what you mean, based on my k1s. I like this style of knife with slim, flat slabs for high-ride carry, as it carries nice and tight to the side without being uncomfortable. Also, I like that they can be had with the choice of leather or kydex for some models, and I agree about the kydex, it's very good.

I think I understand what you mean, based on my k1s. I like this style of knife with slim, flat slabs for high-ride carry, as it carries nice and tight to the side without being uncomfortable. Also, I like that they can be had with the choice of leather or kydex for some models, and I agree about the kydex, it's very good.
That is awesome to hear you ended up with the k1s! How do you find it, have you used yours much yet?

I'm so torn over the k1s. It's wonderfully designed and finished. I don't have a bad thing to say about it. The problem is that the handle is just slightly too short for me. Or maybe not 'too short' but not as long as I prefer, if that makes sense. If it had a half-inch more length toward the butt of the handle, man it would be so good. I think I'm going to watch for the right trade toward the full size K1 like you got, or something else trc like another splinter. Someone out there has to be looking for an s model in M390.

k1s
3KPPh85.jpg

xs splinter
ua3ZaT0.jpg

Haha no problem!
Have the day off work sick today so i'll take a few photos. Just be warned of my poor phone quality camera and uncoordinated photography skills or lack of :p

And also I remember while watching reviews on youtube, people have said the scales can be removed with a certain tool. I might email TRC and find out more because I like to get under and clean the tang too. I will let you know if i find out more about that incase that is an issue that would hold you back.

Anyway, check out their instagram, they do special runs on models (such as on mine the K1 has a fuller and DLC coating which is not available via their website). If you like their base models then the website is there but if you prefer the alternate versions, you need to be watch on instagram then email them.

https://www.instagram.com/trcknives/
Thanks! That's some good information.

I followed the Instagram link you posted and the first thing I saw was that green handled M1 and I immediately got all tingly. Wow, this guy has a great sense for design. Impressive!

Wow, non-standard screw heads, deep index finger pockets, and a sharpening choil.
That pretty much hits most of my "avoid" buttons. :)
I try to over look the choils on all the Survive knives, I guess no production knife company has a truly perfect design and I like everything else about them. ;)

Wow, non-standard screw heads, deep index finger pockets, and a sharpening choil.
That pretty much hits most of my "avoid" buttons. :)
I try to over look the choils on all the Survive knives, I guess no production knife company has a truly perfect design and I like everything else about them. ;)
The "tamper-proof" :D screws bother me if there's a chance of corrosion under the handles, but the finger pocket is ok. What don't you like about the sharpening choil? I've often heard complaints about folks missing them if there isn't one. I'm sincerely curious!

Last edited:
I think I need the K1. If it came in .150" stock, I know I would. Nice knife Christian, and thanks :thumbsup:

ETA: Just checked the specs on yours, looks like it's down to .160" Nice!

Last edited:
I think I need the K1. If it came in .150" stock, I know I would. Nice knife Christian, and thanks :thumbsup:

ETA: Just checked the specs on yours, looks like it's down to .160" Nice!
Thanks! Ye he thinned the stock quite a bit. I think .16 is just right for this size :)

Thanks! Ye he thinned the stock quite a bit. I think .16 is just right for this size :)

Completely agree. I'm glad you got this one back up on my radar. The thin stock was one reason I went with the k1s, but I'm really liking that version you have. Cheers bud.

The "tamper-proof" :D screws bother me if there's a chance of corrosion under the handles, but the finger pocket is ok. What don't you like about the sharpening choil? I've often heard complaints about folks missing them if there isn't one. I'm sincerely curious!
Good evening Silver. Sharpening choils bother me for a couple of reasons.
They can hang up when you are slicing fibrous material, essentially the material you are trying to cut gets lodged in the notch. This is an even bigger problem with finger choils.
One sign of a well ground knife is looking at the base of the edge where it meets the ricasso and seeing how evenly the knife is ground. Can't do that if the material has been cut away before the knife was ground.
Thirdly, I don't like the way they look, which is completely arbitrary of me but there it is.
As I said I like just about everything else about Survive's designs so I overlook the dang choils...

Choils are the devil. Sharpening, finger, or otherwise. I like plenty of knives that have them, but I like those knives in spite of, not because of, their choils.

Those TRC knives look awfully sexy but I don't know that I could get along with those flat handle scales. Different strokes for different folks.

^^^"Those flat handle scales" is why I asked about the fasteners. The first thought I had was that they could use replacing with some slightly more contoured.

I like the idea of choils and have a few knives with them. In practice though i dont think i ever actually use them.

Weekend fire pic because shit its monday again haha

^^^"Those flat handle scales" is why I asked about the fasteners. The first thought I had was that they could use replacing with some slightly more contoured.
Those scales are the most comfy I've ever held , and I'm being honest ! I thought the same thing until I held one

Problem is, perfect is subjective. No two of us are ever going to agree on the perfect knife. The best we can hope for is to discuss blades that work for some of us, and the reasons why.

I haven't tried trc's bushcrafter, but it looks very nice.

7609_TR15BUSH-01.jpg
I am waiting for this one in elmax

Back