Survivors: other knives you like

Not fair, those aren't your pics, those are Busse's pics :D

Lol! Yes those are company pics, certainly NOT mine. Nobody has either of the new ones yet!! Just trying to show Silver the models.

I'll edit in a disclaimer so there's no confusion ;)

Sure thing! Pretty reasonably-priced INFI in those two models IMO.
No doubt, The Ratweiler is a Classic:p Was going to get the Dog solder, but could not justify it because I had 2 Carothers HDFK's coming! Both should be excellent knives:thumbsup:

No doubt, The Ratweiler is a Classic:p Was going to get the Dog solder, but could not justify it because I had 2 Carothers HDFK's coming! Both should be excellent knives:thumbsup:

I know what you mean Tommy. I have passed on the GSO6 and the HDFK up to this point, so the Dog Soldier filled a gap for me in the 6" range. And you get my perspective on the Ratweiler :thumbsup: :D :p

I still have a fatty RW from the first op2w that I can let go if need be, and might once I get my hands on that INFI version.

You going for some D2 today?

No, I was lucky enough to get in on the pre-order for 2 HDFK's in D3V-Might try to get a new EDC2 (or 2) though ;)Good luck:thumbsup:

No, I was lucky enough to get in on the pre-order for 2 HDFK's in D3V-Might try to get a new EDC2 (or 2) though ;)Good luck:thumbsup:

Thank you :) I hope I get a chance to compete today. We did some skinning last week and I'd love to see how Nate's D2 runs alongside the already-known-factor of this D3V. Cheers bud.

Good luck! only advantage D3V has is in toughness, I don't abuse knives so if Nathan wouldn't have offered D3V I would have been happy with his D2! Again Good Luck;):thumbsup:

D2 has a lot more chromium and carbon so the grain structure is very different from 3V.

ww7JJYy.jpg

I stumbled across the LT Wright Outback and since I'm a sucker for a spear point with a rounded pommel and the price was right I bit.
I'll let you know how I like it when I get a chance to use it.
I had not seen that model before, but it looks great. Nice handle and my favorite blade profile.

I haven't been using much of anything outside other than my stainless 4.7 lately, but I did get a junglas a few months ago and I really like it.

My initial report is that the micarta is really smooth and so I will probably rough it up with sandpaper before too long, the sharpening was nothing special and needed work straight out of the box, and Guy would consider it a second because the bevels don't match side to side by a good quarter of an inch (I bought the saber grind version).
At the price point those seem like reasonable compromises. The handle shape is just what I was hoping for and gives me a good solid well contoured handful without any hot spots (after buffing the rough edge off the lanyard hole) and a rounded pommel. The square spine was ridiculously sharp (almost rough) and I've polished it to remove a few machine marks around the spine of the blade and the perimeter of the scales. The leather sheath is riveted and stitched and the welt is well glued in, with a permanently attached D ring for the dangler, which appears to be removable from the D ring if desired since there is a screw head on one side of the loop. There is plenty of room to fold the dangler down and use the sheath without it. All but the last inch of the handle fits in the sheath with a bit of stretch so I think it will wear in nicely and still remain secure.

Latest aquisition: Fiddleback Production Bushfinger.
Very nice knife, the grinds and the plunge are exactly right and even and the scales are rounded and textured.
The middle fastener holes are slightly recessed and rough and the handle works in a lot of grips (but I prefer the handle on the 4.1 which fills the hand better).
The blade is basically an all belly drop point high saber with only a slight amount of straight edge near the base. The spine is smooth.
The sharpening is a bit off center but the secondary bevel angles are fairly even, and it will even out after I've used and sharpened it a bit.
Best of all there isn't a sharpening choil, just those beautiful plunge lines and an uninterrupted edge. ;)
Size wise it fills the hand without any extra space, with my thumb on the spine (right over the company name) there is a quarter inch of handle beyond my pinky.
If I need something smaller I'd probably go with a folder, although the Hiking Buddy is billed as a folder replacement the smaller handle would probably be limiting for me.
The provided sheath is generic leather but functional and appropriately sized.
An excellent value especially considering the quality.

I like the Busse in Infi and even the Ashe series.
It would be great to try the Carothers FK in D3v but they seem to be difficult to come by.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the Busse in Infi and even the Ashe series.
It would be great to try the Carothers FK in D3v but they seem to be difficult to come by.

Just got notification part of my post was removed. Initially it was unclear then I realized why
Apparently even a suggestion or mention that a person is considering parting with a knife of some kind(oops...) is met with summary censorship. My , my...

We don't want to violate the hyper -delicate sensibilities of paying members, or the hall monitors huh?

Remarkable.....

Just got notification part of my post was removed. Initially it was unclear then I realized why
Apparently even a suggestion or mention that a person is considering parting with a knife of some kind(oops...) is met with summary censorship. My , my...

We don't want to violate the hyper -delicate sensibilities of paying members, or the hall monitors huh?

Remarkable.....

You should grow a pair and take it up with the mod that modified your stealth sales post rather than to air your mistake publicly. What you posted here is borderline mod sass in my opinion and may well be mod sass to that particular mod.
Otherwise, the rules are in place for a reason.

Back