Swamp Rat and SYKCO Chat

Oh don't take my post wrong if you were to pin me down and say you can only own knives from one production company it would easily be Swamp Rat and yes I put the Rats above the knives from Busse.

Also no offense but these knives are still production knives and a custom maker can do a better HT. Couple of examples would be Ed Fowlers 52100 and Phil Wilsons Elmax, now these makers can put a lot more time into a knife than the Busse shops can but that being said the knives produced by Busse are just as expensive as some very good customs. Also that really brings Swamp Rats into the mix because I have yet to find a knife under 200 bucks that even remotely compares to the RMD.

Also if I was cut the wound would seep Swamp gas.

Oh don't take my post wrong if you were to pin me down and say you can only own knives from one production company it would easily be Swamp Rat and yes I put the Rats above the knives from Busse.

Also no offense but these knives are still production knives and a custom maker can do a better HT. Couple of examples would be Ed Fowlers 52100 and Phil Wilsons Elmax, now these makers can put a lot more time into a knife than the Busse shops can but that being said the knives produced by Busse are just as expensive as some very good customs. Also that really brings Swamp Rats into the mix because I have yet to find a knife under 200 bucks that even remotely compares to the RMD.

Also if I was cut the wound would seep Swamp gas.

I`m not gettin`you wrong - and i`m having other knives than Rats, Dogs and Busses, but this tread is about "The perfect Swamp Rat Knife", not other knives - No offense...:)

One of these, depending on use:

jpSBYswl.jpg
fM2HP8al.jpg

2oZ8g6hl.jpg
DWIohtBl.jpg

Yes and no. The thread started out with an INFI Ratwieler, which doesn't exist, my perfect Swamp Rat would be a Muk, again doesnt exist. I'd also love to see something in an ultra thin profile sub 2" blade with a carving type handle in SR101. Now that would be perfection. :D

I`m not gettin`you wrong - and i`m having other knives than Rats, Dogs and Busses, but this tread is about "The perfect Swamp Rat Knife", not other knives - No offense...:)

One of these, depending on use:

jpSBYswl.jpg
fM2HP8al.jpg

2oZ8g6hl.jpg
DWIohtBl.jpg

I used to dream about the perfect Swamp Rat, but then one day this scurried through the door :)

rbWZTv8.jpg

Lots of RMDs in the world but this one is MINE :D :D

Dbl. post, again - sorry...

I used to dream about the perfect Swamp Rat, but then one day this scurried through the door :)

rbWZTv8.jpg

Lots of RMDs in the world but this one is MINE :D :D

The perfect SR knife, is the one that you are 100% satisfied with - I like it;)

Last edited:
Nice one HK!! The Brotherhood knives are AWESOME. 100% satisfied with mine as well.

15271813221_f4316eeba1.jpg

Them 2 knives there paired with my chopweiler and im set to go!!!

I just need SR to come out with a BIG knife. Chop-mastiff style to compete with the MOAD and MOAB.

Something this size without the Rodent series handles would be excellent.

15187287796_55f5f9b25e.jpg

Yes and no. The thread started out with an INFI Ratwieler, which doesn't exist, my perfect Swamp Rat would be a Muk, again doesnt exist. I'd also love to see something in an ultra thin profile sub 2" blade with a carving type handle in SR101. Now that would be perfection. :D

Dwayne,
I'd say a pair, Muk and M7...
Why bother with INFI Ratweiler? I'd say they're just about perfect the way they are! Sure, it'd be nice if the new ones had DHT, but I'll be happy with having an old one that does and new one that doesn't.

Nice one HK!! The Brotherhood knives are AWESOME. 100% satisfied with mine as well.

15271813221_f4316eeba1.jpg

Them 2 knives there paired with my chopweiler and im set to go!!!

I just need SR to come out with a BIG knife. Chop-mastiff style to compete with the MOAD and MOAB.

Something this size without the Rodent series handles would be excellent.

15187287796_55f5f9b25e.jpg

Oh yeah baby!!! Now yer talkin' Wood!!!! :thumbup: :thumbup:
I'm sooooo in for a massive Rat, a MOAR!!!!!!! :eek:

Gimme, Gimme, GIMME!!! :D

Well, I'm one of you all, whether you know it or not. I read... lurk some call it, but don't post much. I have several Busse family knives (mostly Swamp), a ton of other knives in general. My used to be favorite deer dresser was a Schrade Mountain Lion (carbon) from about '75~'80? But still, if I could only have one, from my experience, Ratmandu - all the way. More than one? my RMD/micarta & RMD FFG satin blue/black G10. Choil? That's what makes the RMD almost perfect. I like the SOB handle, but the "belly" is big and it don't have the spine rise into the palm. Now, add the side swells to the RMD handle... Perfection!!!

Last edited:
I brought up the MOAR over on the other Swamp site months ago and it lives in my sig line as a wanted item. It certainly would have a following as long as the handle isn't humpy.

Last edited:
My name is Dwayne Puckett and I endorse this statement! :)

I'd put my Rat Mastiff up against any Battle Mistress, oh right, I have! I still have and use that Mastiff. :D

Interesting statement, I am skeptical that a Rat Mastiff will out chop a NMFBM. I would put a 1311 against a Battle Mistress though.

Couldn't care less if it could out chop it, I spent far less and have just as much confidence in the Mastiff. I dont have any user Battle Mistress's any more, INFI just isn't worth the mark up to me, and I know I'm in good company. :)

Dwayne,
I'd say a pair, Muk and M7...
Why bother with INFI Ratweiler? I'd say they're just about perfect the way they are! Sure, it'd be nice if the new ones had DHT, but I'll be happy with having an old one that does and new one that doesn't.

M7 sounds tempting:thumbup:

Ever since the M9 surfaced I've been watching for that elusive M7.

Probably a better chance of getting a R7, but that handle, just cant get used to it. Not for lack of trying.

Couldn't care less if it could out chop it, I spent far less and have just as much confidence in the Mastiff. I dont have any user Battle Mistress's any more, INFI just isn't worth the mark up to me, and I know I'm in good company. :)

I wonder if when I get my next Rat I can get them to engrave SR101 > INFI on it?!?!?

If someone told me they would give me any two knives from any of the Busse shops it would be a Choppy and a RMD. I haven't found anything from the Busse shop that is better than those two in their size ranges. I also don't really have a use for a knife over 8 inches either because past that I am an axe man.

Back