Tacticlol Knives

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quality stuff, I just do not get the SAR Hornet handle design..

DSC03124.jpg

AlienLo.jpg

What about this one? I would like to see the sheath.

There seems to exist within the fantasy knife world a subset of designs that are huge wide things that you grasp the handle crosswise and there is a brace for the forearm. They are big and sharp all over, presenting a terrible risk to the user in any actual combat scenario. Not very maneuverable, either.

The one above looks like a knife that wants to be a spaceship!

Now at the risk of revealing my ignorance I'm showing the following...

http://www.emersonknives.com/karambit.htm

My objection is not with the knifemaker, Emerson in this case (who makes some well thought out knives) but with the design. This is a karambit. Yep I know the karambit is an old S.E. Asian blade design. But when did these knives and blade style acquire a hole on the handle through which one is supposed to place the little finger? This finger is known as the "pinkie" finger. Of the digits it is the most prone to break under hard use. I think this hole is a modern affectation.

Now I've worked jobs where we used knives daily and one (ham boner in the meat packing industry) where I used knives all day as the primary tool. None of us had knives with holes in the handle for the pinkie finger to go through. Would have seemed dangerous and ridiculous. Seems especially so on a blade that is supposed to be a fighting tool.

tipoc

AlienLo.jpg

What about this one? I would like to see the sheath.

that thing like the other large hideous blades posted previously in this thread are for nothing more than wrapping in a plexi-glass box and put on display. In any combat situation, the thing would either break, break the users arm, or impale and lacerate the user...

when did these knives and blade style acquire a hole on the handle through which one is supposed to place the little finger?

pretty much since the inception of the design. Check out Sayoc Kali and others that have specialized lessons and videos gear toward the karambit and you will see why. you can hold it in different manners, and even change grip without letting go completely of the weapon.

Oh, and you are incorrect about the pinky finger thru the hole. the "normal" way to hold the knife is a "reverse" grip, so it your be the pointer finger being used.

prepares to be flamed by the fanboys....

not the design necessarily, but the size.
Noz_Cold_Steel_Espada_Extra_Large.jpg

really, what is the need for a folder this large? and at that price I can get a damned nice custom that will feel better in the hand, preform better and outlast this monstrosity.

I've never heard of anyone making fun of the Gunting, probably because the maker is respected, but the Mantis near clone, is held up to ridicule, presumably because Mantis knives are not respected?
I love Szabo's knives, the only reason I don't have a couple of dozen is the price.
I'm conservative when it comes to buying things like cars, but when it comes to knives I definitely like blades with a tactical flair.

I've never heard of anyone making fun of the Gunting, probably because the maker is respected, but the Mantis near clone, is held up to ridicule, presumably because Mantis knives are not respected?
I love Szabo's knives, the only reason I don't have a couple of dozen is the price.
I'm conservative when it comes to buying things like cars, but when it comes to knives I definitely like blades with a tactical flair.

Hit the nail on the head there.

From Viva La...

Oh, and you are incorrect about the pinky finger thru the hole. the "normal" way to hold the knife is a "reverse" grip, so it your be the pointer finger being used.

From Emerson's website...
3. This folding Karambit was designed by Emerson so that it could be held in either a forward or a reverse grip with no compromise of grip strength or comfort in either position. Whether you have your little finger through the handle hole or your index finger through the hole you have a knife that works extremely well in either grip. Emerson's expert engineering and mastery of ergonomics has solved this inherent problem perfectly.

Still to my thinking not a useful feature on a working or fighting knife. An invitation to a busted finger and slow to alter the grip from. But maybe that is just me and my knowledge is certainly limited.

As Viva La said the originals also had the holes. But it seems that the knives were overall larger with 6" fixed blades or longer, with large holes. A bit different from what I see here.

tipoc

really, what is the need for a folder this large? and at that price I can get a damned nice custom that will feel better in the hand, preform better and outlast this monstrosity.
A collector's item already. :thumbup: :D

From Viva La...

From Emerson's website...

Still to my thinking not a useful feature on a working or fighting knife. An invitation to a busted finger and slow to alter the grip from. But maybe that is just me and my knowledge is certainly limited.

As Viva La said the originals also had the holes. But it seems that the knives were overall larger with 6" fixed blades or longer, with large holes. A bit different from what I see here.

tipoc

They can be held in a regular grip, but they are designed to be held reverse. And from what I understand the blades were actually SMALLER on traditional ones. they were designed so you could slip your pointer finger thru the hole and lay the knife across the palm, the blade barely protruding from the bottom of your palm. It was basically a hidden weapon.

http://www.karambit.com/the_history.htm

I stand corrected, there were larger ones, but those were used by the military. I'll have to pull out my Sayoc DVD, they give a decent history and do a better job describing why the ring is there than I could.

prepares to be flamed by the fanboys....

not the design necessarily, but the size.

I think that if you had ever held the knife, you wouldn't be so sure about getting a custom that feels better in hand. As far as performance and durability... show me a custom maker than will do one for less than 300 and I'll gladly buy it to let you know how they compare. Forgive me if I don't hold my breath waiting.

I think that if you had ever held the knife, you wouldn't be so sure about getting a custom that feels better in hand. As far as performance and durability... show me a custom maker than will do one for less than 300 and I'll gladly buy it to let you know how they compare. Forgive me if I don't hold my breath waiting.

I just see no point in a 16 inch folder. I like the smaller ones. This one to me is just over the top and ugly as ****. I don't care if it is 100, I still wouldn't even entertain the idea of buying it.

I've never heard of anyone making fun of the Gunting, probably because the maker is respected, but the Mantis near clone, is held up to ridicule, presumably because Mantis knives are not respected? I love Szabo's knives, the only reason I don't have a couple of dozen is the price.

The Gunting is an odd bird to be sure, but the Mantis clones is just hideous.
I mean you take a design that's already not winnin any beauty pageants, and make it even worse. Then tack a seatbelt cutter on it.
I dunno, I guess it's all subjective. If there is one theme that seems to be repeating in this thread it's that beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
One man's garbage is another's treasure, etc, etc.

More than a couple of mine have tactical look, which I guess is funny, because I sure don't. Carpenter Blue jeans, t-shirt, boots.

tipoc

Some had big blades, some had small.
The holes were never really all that big. Some karambits had NO hole.:eek:
Changing grips on your knife during a fight is just plain dumb for the most part, so no big whoop there.
Good luck getting a busted finger from using one; get a trainer, and have your sparring partner try to disarm you. He'll be "cut" all to hell LONG before your finger would suffer. Really.
The retention hole does make it harder to impact disarm as well.:thumbup:

I just see no point in a 16 inch folder. I like the smaller ones. This one to me is just over the top and ugly as ****. I don't care if it is 100, I still wouldn't even entertain the idea of buying it.
It's 16 3/4" long :D For someone who thinks the combat karambit is too large I'm not suprised. You won't find one for 100, so I wouldn't even worry about it.

It's 16 3/4" long :D For someone who thinks the combat karambit is too large I'm not suprised. You won't find one for 100, so I wouldn't even worry about it.

I didnt say a combat karambit was too large, although I do have small hands...I am considering a cutom made karambit :p

actually the knife I carry as a karambit prolly fits right into this thread:

TPSCT01[large].jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back