The Artsy Craftsy, Hobbies, Sports and wholesome stress relieving activities GAW.

CelloDan

Gold Member
Hi folks, I would like to share in this GAW some of the fruit of my woodturning endeavors. This has proved to be a very therapeutic activity, especially in these difficult times we are living.

Along with the bowls, there will be a knife…of course :)

Up for grabs is an Opinel #6 in olive wood and a Garden Opinel. On these I will have the chance of getting artsy by inscribing/wood burning your name on it :D edit: You can opt out of the inscribing of course.
( I already did an “easier” to open notch on the 6 and a leather lanyard on the garden.)

The garden knife saw minor use once when camping and boating this summer at the Rideau Canal in eastern Ontario. The #6 I never really used, just carried it a couple of times.

I am very happy how these two bowls in walnut and mahogany “turned out” :)
I like how the lines flow on the walnut one. The mahogany has beautiful chatoyance/stripes that show nicely when you hold and turn the bowl side to side.

CHY9N2v.jpg

oRuKBFC.jpg

Beg4w4F.jpg

u08MeJo.jpg

ARKV6Ob.jpg

To enter the GAW:

Post that you are in.
Post a picture of a traditional knife and tell us/show us something about any hobby, sports, arts, craft or ANY activity that helps you distress, unwind and brings joy to your life.
Ex. walking in nature, fishing, hunting, gardening, baking, music, painting, play board games, train your dog :), read a comic book, sit by the campfire, volunteering, meditate, hug a tree :D, ...the list is endless.

Rules (not too many I hope, we are trying to relax here lol).

1. If interested, enter for yourself only. I want everyone to have the same chance to win.
2. GAW is open to contributors to the porch, regardless of where you live.
3. EDIT UPDATE : I will let it run until Tuesday Nov 24 at 8 pm eastern time. I will then surprise my daughter while she practices her violin on Wednesday am and have her do an “artsy draw” from the names in one of the bowls and post a video with the results soon after.
4. First draw picks a bowl and a knife, second draw gets the leftovers, lol.

Last edited:
Those bowls look amazing.

I'm in! Opinel are my favorite users!

I've made a few knives over the years. I forged my first knife the other day.

I find Opinels always bring a smile to my face.

Here are a few I used to make bull calves into steer calves....

S2Ii69e.jpg

Here are two recent knives (first hidden tang bottom in 15n20, stock removal) , and first forged knife knife on the right)

pTGBMxE.jpg

Last edited:
Beautiful bowls, and a couple great knives. :D
Not an entry, please, since as far as I know/to the best of my knowledge, I am neither artistic, nor crafty.

Good Luck to all who enter. :)

Any hobbies, sports, walking in nature, gardening, home baking , boating or " fishing and hunting" etc etc ;) count
Sadly, it has been decades since I "had time" to do any of those. Health and the local governor's lockdown of assisted living facilities, prevents them now.
I haven't even been able to ride my adult tricycle since February (2020) because of the daRn lockdown. :(

As for "sports" ... to be completely and totally honest, except for the shooting sports, I've always been below/worse than horrible. I can't find my photos of 10 arrows from 20 yards (indoor range at the local archery dealer using my Diamond Archery "Diamond Edge" compound bow, set to 62.5 pounds draw weight (maxed out) and pathetic 23 inch draw length ... (I'm deformed) ) all 10 arrows touching. (fortunately I wasn't shooting broadheads that would remove fletching, and I lucked out with no "Robin Hoods" - arrows are expensive ... I hate getting a "Robin Hood"... bad enough to have to replace the fletching.) I must have "hidden them really good" somewhere "in the cloud" ... or I don't have that SD memory card no more ... one of the two ... :(

Last edited:
What a GAW those bowls rule :cool:

Living in latitude 63 N it means this time of year is dark, the snow hasn't come yet so we're lashed by gale force winds and torrential rain, you get under house-arrest by that govt.edicts or no govt.edicts;) But I've always been a keen if disorganised gardener and enjoy my place in the country but I also like to have indoor plants in town and fix a gro-lamp for them during the hell period Nov to end of Jan when it's dark al day. Gardening is for me healthy and even creative.

Here a small Burl Hess Caper amongst the verdancy.

lZiiWoo.jpg

Thanks and good fortune, Will

A21A65A4-AFBD-401D-BA6A-ADF0A8504C06.jpeg 07824944-D8A5-4C10-BCB2-7FE6929E6460.jpeg A21A65A4-AFBD-401D-BA6A-ADF0A8504C06.jpeg Dan what beautiful turnings you do, I have always enjoyed others wood turnings but have never tried it myself. Every Art Festival, tag sales and gift shops my wife drags me to I’m always on a lookout for small turned bowls. Many years ago my arts and crafts was Stained Glass, I haven’t done any in many years, don’t have the room now to do it but I still have everything I need for when then day comes again. My stress relief for the past 5/6 years and especially this year has been family camping, easy to social distance and I can keep the grandkids busy fishing, hiking and prepping for the camp fires.

Sorry I had all kinds of internet glitches when post, I will clean this up later when things normalize.

Attachments

• B759222F-0DF3-4FDC-A358-A79562F86C2B.jpeg
    B759222F-0DF3-4FDC-A358-A79562F86C2B.jpeg
    290.6 KB · Views: 11
For me it's shooting and or rebuilding one of my vintage American airguns.
The shooting definitely happens more often though, these things were built to last and need little maintenance.

I'm not in, but thank you for the generosity.
Both knives appeal to me but I probably wouldn't carry them, better leave 'em for someone who would.

Good morning folks, thanks for the comments and entries so far :)

Here is a little silly video I made of my girls and I skating through the woods last winter ... with my lambsfoot of course :D ( would not be a proper Guardian otherwise lol )

Skating is one the activities that helps us cope with the long Canadian winters.

Beautiful bowls! I’m in.
I have a variety of creative outlets. Among them are rebuilding cheap knives and whittling stuff. I am bad at them all, but I have learned to accept that.
IXHC9Gv.jpg

iyypYQL.jpg

In the category of stress-relieving activities are bike riding and walking. Something I did a couple of weeks ago and hope to make a regular thing is bike-camping. I rode my bike directly from home to the C&O canal, then along the canal to a campsite.
9meJr87.jpg

ryEEJuv.jpg

( edited my initial post to say that you can opt out of the inscribing on the knife if you prefer :) )

This is great Dan. You are a multi-talented guy! I've been trying to work on my photography this year, and now have to spend some serious time in the darkroom.
Here's an older one. It's a 4x5 camera made in Marion, Massachusetts that I bought from Ron Wisner in person.
RFcbshy.jpg

bCdRqxA.jpg

What a generous and lovely giveaway, Dan. Those bowls look very nice! I’d love to play.

I have only a few true “hobbies,” and reading takes the lion’s share of my leisure. Still, the most physically and mentally relaxing activities I enjoy are roasting coffee, sanding knives with my 1x30, and using my sharpening stones. When I want company I enjoy taking walks with my family and tossing or kicking a ball with my boys.

08223152-427C-4621-A087-77997E7F48B1.jpeg D2D357A9-5AD8-4333-A1BE-4AD42A35C1FA.jpeg D0FD703E-8553-452F-9BEB-9ABC0598D6E1.jpeg AF6EAA02-4E25-4421-98A5-B14F60AD6C2A.jpeg

I'm in, thank you.
My main hobby has been my photography for the better part of 50 years. Just wandering and shooting whatever caught my eye. Nowadays I still wander but capture mostly with my mind.IMG_1220_copy_1024x1087.jpg IMG_0734.JPG P1000394.JPG
Almost forgot the knife.20190111_150305-902x1084.jpg

Dan, I think you have more hobbies than the rest of us put together my friend :) I don't often enter giveaways, but I really like the idea of this one (well done), and am enjoying reading all the entries. So, I'll enter if I may please :)

I have had a huge interest in knives all my life, and often they've accompanied, and assisted me, in the many other hobbies and interests I've had throughout my life. Most of my hobbies have been outdoor ones, be it fishing, rock-climbing, kayaking, or just hiking. Some of my past activities like running and weight-training, I'm no longer able to do because I'm too decrepit, and others, like shooting, I can't do, because of changes to the law here during my lifetime :( I don't hike the distances I did at one time, or climb to great heights, but I still enjoy getting out when I can, and spin out my time in the woods and the great outdoors by taking photographs for the Guardians thread, practicing woodcraft and fire-skills, and these past couple of year, I've been enjoying getting reacquainted with a slingshot. Yesterday, I only had a fairly short walk, but I took a few pics, got in some slingshot practice, and picked up a couple of lengths of wood to make into walking-staffs. The slingshot interest gives me other things to do with my knife, and I've been out in the garden today, trimming the staves with both knife and axe :) Good luck to everyone, and thanks Dan, for a very thoughtful and generous giveaway :) :thumbsup:

usOH3Lq.jpg

1IqKL3g.jpg

hAEAVxX.jpg

3asTOQY.jpg

mslhg05.jpg

I absolutely love handmade crafts and useful items.
Your bowls have always caught my eye, they are wonderful and you are a craftsman.
Not and entry for me, but I couldn't pass up a chance to comment on your beautiful work. :cool::thumbsup:

Back