The "Ask Jo (NinJO) Thread"

I have an HDFK coming with OD Green Micarta scales...i'm psyched!

Anyway, my question is are the scales easily removable, like just the screws or are they glued as well? I'm curious, if I ever wanted to swap scales for a different material.

Thanks!!

Last edited:
veritas veritas
Check out and read thru this thread here> https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/edc-edc2-fastener-barrels.1517838/

Some good info in there. The same should pertain to the hdfk. Congrats on the new acquisition. I'm sure you'll love it! As for the g10 scales I believe those are usually reserved for smaller models. For the HDFK and above I've only seen micarta and terotuff offered. But I could be wrong.

Edited to add: pay special attention to post #4 and #6 in the above thread. Go slow and follow those steps and you should be alright.

I have an HDFK coming with G-10 scales...i'm psyched! (At least thats what I thought when I bought it. Got it from Fort Henry CK's...After reading through this thread, it seems the HDFK didn't come with G-10? Maybe its OD green Micarta?

Anyway, my question is are the scales easily removable, like just the screws or are they glued as well? I'm curious, if I ever wanted to swap scales for a different material.

Thanks!!

I’m not Jo and not even qualified to act as Mrs. Carothers place holder but since she also runs an entire household in addition to her capacities as Jo the Machinist, here are some thoughts:

As you have already figured out, there was no G10 material offered for HDFK Handel scales, period! Forte Henry is the only authorized Carothers dealer so I very much doubt if they misrepresented their description but if so, you may have some recourse there.

The handle scales are not epoxied so it is possible to remove them with care, but the right tool(s) and some basic skill level is required. The hardware is tightened using Loctite (blue?) therefore patience is key factor. Start loosening from the side marked by the LA insignia NOT the Carothers insignia side.

What handle scales material were you looking for?

Thanks guys, I appreciate the info. I'm not entirely set up for scale removal based on what i read so i'll probably hold off but the scales I was thinking of were the un buffed antique micarta, un buffed rag micarta or terotuf.

PS: It was my mistake, not Fort Henry...its OD Green Micarta :)

I have ordered red and black linen, green and black linen, and a canvas "double red". We'll see... :)
I have decided without seeing it, I may need a UFK in Red and Black Linen;)With the Pre-orders (MC, HDMC, and UF's) I may have enough Edge-Cut Antique Micarta (for the t!me being):eek: Very interested in seeing this pattern once you receive it NinJo:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Thanks guys, I appreciate the info. I'm not entirely set up for scale removal based on what i read so i'll probably hold off but the scales I was thinking of were the un buffed antique micarta, un buffed rag micarta or terotuf.

PS: It was my mistake, not Fort Henry...its OD Green Micarta :)
Hi Veritas! Sorry for missing this. I think the others have pretty much answered your questions, but I would be happy to replace the scales for you. The only cost would be return shipping. (And scales if you don’t have them)

Jo, not a Q but just an observational report:

Seems that your USPS distribution plant in Moorseville, NC is not scanning some packages as they are dropped off to be shipped out. I think that my most current one is either the 2nd or the 3rd which just showed in pre-shipment status till it just showed up in the inbound plant in San Diego for distribution to the local USPS in San Marcos.

This is obviously not on you as you always diligently package and drop off your boxes (or perhaps someone picks up from yours). If a pick up, you can always ask the carrier to use his/her scanning gizmo to do "Pre-Paid Acceptance", otherwise it's just too much PITA to go and stand at the counter to request to scan for the same. Now it could be entirely possible that just a few / handful slip through the cracks at your outbound plant, but even if the local USPS at Moorseville does not scan pre-paid packages, the plant itself is supposed to!

Again, not a complaint or anything relating to your end of the deal but just an FYI in case you get inquiries about as to why packages are only showing as "pre-shipment information submitted" till some knucklehead along the transit process remembers to scan the bar code!

Jo, not a Q but just an observational report:

Seems that your USPS distribution plant in Moorseville, NC is not scanning some packages as they are dropped off to be shipped out. I think that my most current one is either the 2nd or the 3rd which just showed in pre-shipment status till it just showed up in the inbound plant in San Diego for distribution to the local USPS in San Marcos.

This is obviously not on you as you always diligently package and drop off your boxes (or perhaps someone picks up from yours). If a pick up, you can always ask the carrier to use his/her scanning gizmo to do "Pre-Paid Acceptance", otherwise it's just too much PITA to go and stand at the counter to request to scan for the same. Now it could be entirely possible that just a few / handful slip through the cracks at your outbound plant, but even if the local USPS at Moorseville does not scan pre-paid packages, the plant itself is supposed to!

Again, not a complaint or anything relating to your end of the deal but just an FYI in case you get inquiries about as to why packages are only showing as "pre-shipment information submitted" till some knucklehead along the transit process remembers to scan the bar code!
Lol, I've seen that too.

From pre-shipment, straight to 'Out for delivery' (or in one case, 'Delivered'). Unfortunately, we're all at the mercy of the diligence at each individual leg of the USPS.

Some branches/hubs are highly efficient/reliable, others, not so much.

Fortunately, I haven't had any issues with any of my local services (unlike the numerous complaints I've read in various forums about local UPS/FedEx/USPS etc.).

I saw a meme about the various services and their tracking info:

UPS - "your package is currently here, enroute to here, being carried by X, and scheduled to be delivered on XX/XX"

USPS - "You'll get your package when we deliver it to you"

FedEx - "What package?"

I just mentioned this because I know that Jo ships out a lot of packages with the utmost due diligence (packaging and timely drop offs) and as a good USPS customer, she can bring the matter to her local postmaster's attention.

I just mentioned this because I know that Jo ships out a lot of packages with the utmost due diligence (packaging and timely drop offs) and as a good USPS customer, she can bring the matter to her local postmaster's attention.
Good point, as I'm sure CPK would be one of their higher volume customers. The local branch/hub might actually try a little harder (maybe).

Good point, as I'm sure CPK would be one of their higher volume customers. The local branch/hub might actually try a little harder (maybe).

Yup absolutely. The slacking is not on Jo and her new nifty / zippy Subaru Outback :D As one of their good customers, she should just have a word with the USPS branch postmaster.

P.S. Does NinJo have a lead foot and does she often put pedal to the metal? Nathan?

Yes, Jo has a bit of a lead foot. Nathan not so much. Our post office is pretty much always over run and there must be a few people running internet businesses in the area, because like us, they have specific packages that you can recognize. Sometimes the drop off counter is so full people start stacking stuff on the floor. (No, not me) I’ll ask them about scanning! Thanks guys!

Yes, Jo has a bit of a lead foot. Nathan not so much. Our post office is pretty much always over run and there must be a few people running internet businesses in the area, because like us, they have specific packages that you can recognize. Sometimes the drop off counter is so full people start stacking stuff on the floor. (No, not me) I’ll ask them about scanning! Thanks guys!

Jo, ask for their USPS baskets and request your postmaster to have your shipment buckets scanned with their hand held gizmo. Tell him/her that you don't want to stand in line because it's busy and also it takes time away from their retail customers AND also that you do not want a receipt for what you dropped off. Just a kind request to have them scanned at their leisure if possible because tell the postmaster that the sorting plant has been slacking on outbound scans.

If you were dropping off the cheaper Media Mail packages, they'd probably tell you to take a hike but you are a volume customer buying Priority Mail and they are not doing the job correctly at the plant. I hope that this helps :)

Back