The "Ask Nathan a question" thread

Nathan two questions about the FK2

Does the acid wash add any rust or abrasion resistance to the finish?

Are the handle scales interchangeable? (so if I order two knives can I swop the handle scales between them?)

Can we request a certain spine thickness with the same geometry as the standard ufk?

#NotNathan, but I highly doubt that can be done here. Different blade stock thicknesses would all likely need to have modified CNC programs, and I just don't see that happening.

Are the handle scales interchangeable? (so if I order two knives can I swop the handle scales between them?)

Again, #NotNathan, but yes, all UFK / FK2 handle scales would be / are interchangeable.

Just locked down my first CPK in the FK pre-order! Now i'm trying to track down an unbuffed HDFK! :) Can't wait to see what these knives can do and happy to support a local maker!

Oh, my question! So when is the HDFK going to make a triumphant return? It would be awesome to place a pre-order with all of the options that are available for this FK pre-order.

Two things:

1- the wood scales will be epoxied and not recommend if want to interchange those handles! Apparently, not anymore but I still would not make a habit of taken off wood scales too many times!

2- the 2020 calendar looks to be preoccupied with the following projects but not necessarily in this order:

- DEK1
- Kephart
- integral Shiv
- Folder

Then there’s fulfillment of these FK2s and the K18, so I don’t see any HDFK revisit anytime soon.

#stillnotnathan

Last edited:
Two things:

1- the wood scales will be epoxied and not recommend if want to interchange those handles!

2- the 2020 calendar looks to be preoccupied with the following projects but not necessarily in this order:

- DEK1
- Kephart
- integral Shiv
- Folder

Then there’s fulfillment of these FK2s and the K18, so I don’t see any HDFK revisit anytime soon.

#stillnotnathan

I seem to have missed the integral shiv news. Are they getting a production run or is it just a few?

Last edited:
Nathan, on the FK2 orders is it possible to get the spine sharpened in only about about 1 1/2 - 2 inches in front of the thumb ramp and leaving the rest chamfered? This would be the best of both worlds. A sharp spine to throw sparks/fluff sticks and an easy on the thumb spot up towards the tip for fine work.

The thumb ramp will be chamfered but it will be sharp from there forward.

Does the acid wash add any rust or abrasion resistance to the finish?

Nope. The only thing the acid wash does is create a darker low gloss finish. It will wear off with extended use.

The scales are interchangeable.

What is the range from conception of a knife to selling it? What design was the quickest and which one was longest?

What percentage of knife ideas never make it a final product?

I’ve been tearing through ANAQ and it seems like it’s a couple year process but not too much is said about designs that didn’t make the cut ;-)

Back