The Bears' Den--Shirogorov Showcase

Mine always have had early lockup. Only one with an issue was if some pocket lint got in there - it would slip. Keep it clean, flip it with some authority. It should settle in and always be solid.

Little Neon officially now in the rotation. Nice.

qUZfWh9.jpg

lGtcJqB.jpg

Y4a4pSY.jpg

fzCnFZ5.jpg

I missed the delivery today, going to have to leave work a little early to sign for it at the po. Dang.

That's an interesting perspective.

;)
A most apt turn of phrase. ;) Certainly, when shot from an angle, the front knife always appears proportionally bigger than those farther back, which is something I try to take into account when attempting to make some point or other.

Last edited:
What about Nick Shabazz negative review of the Shiro 95 on youtube? He said the way the lock face was made that the 95 would not last that long, and a lot of short cuts were used on the knife. What do you all think? I sure do like my 95T. I am not bad mouthing him because I think most of his reviews are real good.

So I have to ne0n in hand. My first impression is that it’s well made but I’m hesitant to proclaim it as hype worthy. It’s def not the best or smoothest flipper I own, not does it has a smooth as glass drop shut action, which I don’t really care about. Maybe I need more time with it.

What about Nick Shabazz negative review of the Shiro 95 on youtube? He said the way the lock face was made that the 95 would not last that long, and a lot of short cuts were used on the knife. What do you all think? I sure do like my 95T. I am not bad mouthing him because I think most of his reviews are real good.
Frankly I think he’s full of $#!+

I don’t know her

I find him very entertaining BUT I don't always agree with him.

So I have to ne0n in hand. My first impression is that it’s well made but I’m hesitant to proclaim it as hype worthy. It’s def not the best or smoothest flipper I own, not does it has a smooth as glass drop shut action, which I don’t really care about. Maybe I need more time with it.

Hyperbole can be defined as "exaggerated statements or claims not meant to be taken literally", so, no, I don't think that Shiros, or anything for that matter, can be "hype worthy". I always find the use of that term curious, as in the knife world it seems prevalently applied to Shiros, but I'm not sure who's hyping them. I've not heard any exaggerated statements or claims from the the Workshop. There are many happy Shiro owners who sing the praises of their knives, but most often it seems the h-term is used by those who wish to criticize expensive cutlery. We've heard the same about CRKs for years.

Forgive my mini-rant here. I think you should let your knife break in and, as you say, spend some more time with it. With all my several Shiros, as with most any quality knife I own, I've effected dramatic improvement after disassembly, cleaning, interior polishing, and application of a light, non-grease lube. Neither my NeOn nor my 111 would free-drop when new, but after break-in and disassembly they both drop shut easily and flip open with incredible smoothness.

What constitutes the "best or smoothest flipper" is also a matter of personal taste. There are those who favor ZT-like action with stiff detents that "fire out like a rocket" and consider Shiro action soft or mushy. Personally, I like a knife that opens surely with as little force as necessary, a quality that all my Shiros possess.

Congrats on your new NeOn. I hope you come to appreciate and enjoy it.

Hyperbole can be defined as "exaggerated statements or claims not meant to be taken literally", so, no, I don't think that Shiros, or anything for that matter, can be "hype worthy". I always find the use of that term curious, as in the knife world it seems prevalently applied to Shiros, but I'm not sure who's hyping them. I've not heard any exaggerated statements or claims from the the Workshop. There are many happy Shiro owners who sing the praises of their knives, but most often it seems the h-term is used by those who wish to criticize expensive cutlery. We've heard the same about CRKs for years.

Forgive my mini-rant here. I think you should let your knife break in and, as you say, spend some more time with it. With all my several Shiros, as with most any quality knife I own, I've effected dramatic improvement after disassembly, cleaning, interior polishing, and application of a light, non-grease lube. Neither my NeOn nor my 111 would free-drop when new, but after break-in and disassembly they both drop shut easily and flip open with incredible smoothness.

What constitutes the "best or smoothest flipper" is also a matter of personal taste. There are those who favor ZT-like action with stiff detents that "fire out like a rocket" and consider Shiro action soft or mushy. Personally, I like a knife that opens surely with as little force as necessary, a quality that all my Shiros possess.

Congrats on your new NeOn. I hope you come to appreciate and enjoy it.

Thank you. I’m definitely not disappointed. I think my expectations were undefined yet still unrealistic. Such is the knife life.

Not turning this into a WTB post, but man I've been spending a lot of time looking for a decent Hation Zero. I had hoped the Hati would be a little smaller than the F95. I somehow thought it was going to be closer to 3.25 to 3.5". Looks like the Hation should fit the bill nicely. Now to find one!

Thank you. I’m definitely not disappointed. I think my expectations were undefined yet still unrealistic. Such is the knife life.

I think what it comes down to is that we often build something up in our minds (especially when it’s something aspirational/somewhat difficult to obtain or a particular “darling” of whatever community) only to be underwhelmed when we finally get to experience it for ourselves. We’ve seen this time and time again over the years with regard to Emersons, CRKs (not to mention all the various “Sebenza-killer” flavors of the month:rolleyes:...), Hinderers, *cough*Striders*cough*, Shiros, etc. I’ve experienced this phenomena with knives, firearms, watches, what have you and it just sort of comes with the territory. If you’ve given it a shot and it just doesn’t click or you find it’s really not for you then that’s perfectly fine - there’s nothing wrong with the knife and there’s nothing wrong with you for “not getting it.”

Back