The Case Barlow is BACK

Naah...just strop it. :)

I’m not sure about the edge giving you a hard time but dinner sure looks good ! :D

Strop it real good :p
Ha!
Yeah, it was a pretty good steak, and I'm glad I had that Barlow, since I was given a fork and butter knife to eat it with.
Sometimes when I'm sharpening a new knife, the edge just wants to roll from side to side. It seems as though the steel is very soft and ductile. Then after I've sharpened it a few times the edge is more stable. I have a theory that the steel right at the edge gets a little bit overheated on the grinding wheel at the factory, and I have to get down to the "good meat" to keep a clean edge.

Ha!
Yeah, it was a pretty good steak, and I'm glad I had that Barlow, since I was given a fork and butter knife to eat it with.
Sometimes when I'm sharpening a new knife, the edge just wants to roll from side to side. It seems as though the steel is very soft and ductile. Then after I've sharpened it a few times the edge is more stable. I have a theory that the steel right at the edge gets a little bit overheated on the grinding wheel at the factory, and I have to get down to the "good meat" to keep a clean edge.
I think your probably right about some blades getting cooked at the factory . I really haven’t ran across that issue but maybe try lighter pressure and less aggressive stones might help .
My case Barlow has a pretty toothy edge but it’s surprisingly pretty even on both sides . I might hit it with my sharp maker with some fine stones since it doesn’t need any re-profiling and see what happens :thumbsup:

I've had a few Case knives (Tru-Sharp) with nice even bevels, but they had that nasty wire edge you could feel with your finger, very blatant. I just give 'em a few light (I mean light!) strokes at a low angle (10°) and they come out razors.

Ok Rachel You made me hungry and it’s all your fault :p so I just fired up the barbecue . Boiled some corn on the cob smothered it in some creamy Tillamook butter ,wrapped it in some tin foil to finish on the barbecue. Soaked some hickory, oak and apple chips for some smoke action :D With a New York Steak and 0f course my Case Barlow to watch the progress !
ewjVPMQ.jpg

Last edited:
I
Ha!
I've actually seen that a few times myself. I always figured I was using too much pressure... Your theory is interesting.

Ha!
Yep,that is usually the " case".;)

Repeat after me, light pressure, light pressure, light pressure. I am usually an edge trailing sharpener but on a few of my stubborn burr knife edges,I go into it with a few edge leading strokes,very lightly which seems to abrade that wire edge of a burr a bit easier,then I give it a light strop on loaded leather to help remove any residual burrs.I am very proud of the final edge that touched up on my Case barlows with Tru Sharp or CV.

I find that the coarse edge that comes on most Case knives dulls too quickly due to corrosion, if the steel is CV of course. Those rough grind marks give rust and oxidation too many places to "bite" onto so they have to go.
I sharpen until the edge is nice and polished, and this refined edge not only lasts longer but seems to not form a burr as badly, so the thing about the edge being over cooked may be right.

My sawcut came more coarse and toothy than my other Case knives, but I'm happy the grinds were even and acute enough to not need resetting.

I love this knife, its not left my pocket since the day it arrived :D
IMG_20190808_143003.jpg

The different saw cut patterns on the Barlow knives is nothing new for Case. I've owned and seen many Case knives that had the saw cuts running in different directions on each side of the knife. It's not something that bothers me. Here is a Mini Trapper that has that going on...

The different saw cut patterns on the Barlow knives is nothing new for Case. I've owned and seen many Case knives that had the saw cuts running in different directions on each side of the knife. It's not something that bothers me. Here is a Mini Trapper that has that going on...

Whoa,that's a beautiful Mini Trapper.

Oh, my... what a beauty!

That looks really good to me. It doesn't bother me when sides don't match, I'm just curious about the process. It isn't really about the direction of the lines; I think that the pile side looks like actual saw cuts, and the mark side looks like horizontal jigging. :confused:

That looks really good to me. It doesn't bother me when sides don't match, I'm just curious about the process. It isn't really about the direction of the lines; I think that the pile side looks like actual saw cuts, and the mark side looks like horizontal jigging. :confused:
I wouldn't be surprised if it was done with a heavy rasp.

Some natural lighting really makes these sawcut covers pop :thumbsup:
Really liking and enjoying this one and it also has really nice walk and talk with about a 5 pull on the main blade and 6 on the secondary .
itfi3xs.jpg

To me, the horizontal sawcuts found on these case barlows resemble marks made by a bandsaw rather than marks made by a round saw blade. I like the look no mater how they were made.

Back