The Case Barlow is BACK

Well my replacement arrived and I can’t stop smiling !!
Blades centered/no blade rub , nice walk and talk .
Love the scales and Carmel color .
Pile and show side match really well a long with the crosscuts .
DLT came threw for me again !!
h6XAKI6.jpg

3E29NzN.jpg

sht6iVS.jpg
Really cool dye job on that one, especially the mark side :thumbsup:

h6XAKI6.jpg

3E29NzN.jpg

sht6iVS.jpg

That's a nice example there! It also looks like your edge is ground a bit rough, like mine was. It was easily touched up in a few minutes with the Fine rods on the Sharpmaker.

That's a nice example there! It also looks like your edge is ground a bit rough, like mine was. It was easily touched up in a few minutes with the Fine rods on the Sharpmaker.
Thanks ! I’m really happy with this one:thumbsup:
The toothy edge is pretty much the norm for Case. Depending what your cutting sometimes it’s a benefit lol .
Normally like you I’ll hit it with my edge pro or for a quick job the sharp maker .

My Brown Sawcut CV Barlow arrived an hour ago. The F & F and centering are great. As for the handles. the colouring is nice but the sawcuts are barely visible - and pretty much invisible on the pile side. There is no grip effectively. Also, there's a "gouge" on the top edge of the pile side. It kinda has a neat character.

Would it be wrong to carry it to the Rendezvous?

y8l9rJQ.jpg

y2cRDD7.jpg

hw3KZap.jpg

Brian
Yours has some great Character !
Really like the color to :thumbsup:

h6XAKI6.jpg

3E29NzN.jpg

sht6iVS.jpg
Very nice!!

This might be a stupid question but is a 62009 1/2 CV the carbon steel version? The description on Amazon says true sharp surgical steel but that doesn't clear it up for me. I wish that they would just be honest and tell you what steel they use instead of making up their own names for it. You can bet they would if it was a higher end steel like 154cpm or D-2.

This might be a stupid question but is a 62009 1/2 CV the carbon steel version? The description on Amazon says true sharp surgical steel but that doesn't clear it up for me. I wish that they would just be honest and tell you what steel they use instead of making up their own names for it. You can bet they would if it was a higher end steel like 154cpm or D-2.
Chrome Vanadium (CV) is carbon steel, while Tru Sharp is their stainless.

Chrome Vanadium (CV) is carbon steel, while Tru Sharp is their stainless.
So it's probably carbon but since the description says otherwise you really don't know what you are going to get. I guess that is the advantage of buying from a real knife dealer instead of a massive "We carry everything." store. Thanks for your help anyway. I appreciate it!

So it's probably carbon but since the description says otherwise you really don't know what you are going to get. I guess that is the advantage of buying from a real knife dealer instead of a massive "We carry everything." store. Thanks for your help anyway. I appreciate it!
Actually,I know of one dealer who gives the description in one sentence as being CV and in another sentence saying it is True Sharp and it has nothing to do with Amazon.In that case,I would call the dealer and confirm what the blade steel actually is. I ran across that while I was searching for a Case Barlow.At any rate, it is a typo that should be corrected.

A few posts back there was mention of the non-matching sawcut on some of the barlows. A couple of years ago I emailed Case about the sawcut on a Teardrop I had---feint vertical on one side and distinct horizontal on the other. I asked if this was an anomaly or....? Here's the answer I received from Case:

The saw cuts directions can be random from piece to piece and we intentionally do not try and match them up. Think of it as being part of the "uniqueness" of a hand crafted Case bone handled knife.

Andrew
I find this answer from Case fascinating. When I look at almost all old sawcut bone, the cuts are curved and diagonal. Basically they are the marks left by the saw when cutting the slabs of bone for handles. It leads me to a question. (maybe I should ask it in the "what makes a traditional Barlow thread")

I always assumed that bone was cut into slabs for handles, later to either be polished smooth or jigged. On an inexpensive working knife like a Barlow, those finishing steps are skipped, and the saw marks remain. Over the years, this became so associated with the Barlow pattern that when Delrin covers were used, the molds were made to simulate sawcuts. I'm wondering, in this current production run of Barlows, are these actual saw cuts, or are they a type of jigging applied to the bone?

I'm not really complaining, but the straight horizontal lines on mine don't look to me like marks made by a saw. Maybe more like a coarse rasp file run across the flat bone, or some other jigging technique.

mzxmRrG.jpg
8vvyWwK.jpg

I rather like the mottled, appaloosa effect of the dye. It should go well with a patina. :):thumbsup:

r8shell r8shell I love how all these Case Barlow’s have a different flavor for each one . I really like yours with that vanilla and Carmel colors :thumbsup: a long with variety of saw cuts :thumbsup:
Thanks, I'm pleased with it. I'm also enjoying seeing all the variety.
Of course, that's easy for me to say, since I got one I happen to like. It is a gamble, buying over the internet. I sure wish we all had local stores we could go to and drive the poor clerk crazy, asking to handle each one, picking out what we think is the best example...

I tried to sharpen it today, and had a bit of trouble, kept forming a burr that would flip from side to side. I think I'll have to use it and sharpen it a few times before get to the "good steel".
1mV5EsY.jpg

Of course, that's easy for me to say, since I got one I happen to like. It is a gamble, buying over the internet. I sure wish we all had local stores we could go to and drive the poor clerk crazy, asking to handle each one, picking out what we think is the best example...

I tried to sharpen it today, and had a bit of trouble, kept forming a burr that would flip from side to side. I think I'll have to use it and sharpen it a few times before get to the "good steel".
1mV5EsY.jpg
Naah...just strop it. :)

1mV5EsY.jpg
I’m not sure about the edge giving you a hard time but dinner sure looks good ! :D

Back