The Case Barlow is BACK

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Topgear9, Dec 22, 2018.

1. TheFactor

TheFactor Life is good ! Platinum Member

Feb 26, 2015
    Thanks ! :) I feel like I am very fortunate to have this one .

Ripcord 82 likes this.
  2. solphilos

solphilos Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Really cool dye job on that one, especially the mark side :thumbsup:

TheFactor likes this.
  3. Ironbut

Ironbut Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 1, 2016
    That's a nice example there! It also looks like your edge is ground a bit rough, like mine was. It was easily touched up in a few minutes with the Fine rods on the Sharpmaker.

TheFactor likes this.
  4. TheFactor

Feb 26, 2015
    Thanks ! I’m really happy with this one:thumbsup:
    The toothy edge is pretty much the norm for Case. Depending what your cutting sometimes it’s a benefit lol .
    Normally like you I’ll hit it with my edge pro or for a quick job the sharp maker .

Ace Rimmer likes this.
  5. 3-1-1

3-1-1

Apr 2, 2012
  6. TheFactor

Feb 26, 2015
    Yours has some great Character !
    Really like the color to :thumbsup:

7. tmd_87

tmd_87 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 29, 2016
    Very nice!!

TheFactor likes this.
  8. TheFactor

Feb 26, 2015
    Thanks my friend !
    I’m really liking it :thumbsup:

tmd_87 likes this.
  9. HotGuts

HotGuts Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 1, 2016
    Here are my two.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

TFBraden, Ramrodmb, tmd_87 and 16 others like this.
  10. genewiseman

genewiseman

Dec 11, 2010
    This might be a stupid question but is a 62009 1/2 CV the carbon steel version? The description on Amazon says true sharp surgical steel but that doesn't clear it up for me. I wish that they would just be honest and tell you what steel they use instead of making up their own names for it. You can bet they would if it was a higher end steel like 154cpm or D-2.

solphilos likes this.
  11. solphilos

solphilos Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Chrome Vanadium (CV) is carbon steel, while Tru Sharp is their stainless.

genewiseman and Ripcord 82 like this.
  12. genewiseman

genewiseman

Dec 11, 2010
    So it's probably carbon but since the description says otherwise you really don't know what you are going to get. I guess that is the advantage of buying from a real knife dealer instead of a massive "We carry everything." store. Thanks for your help anyway. I appreciate it!

Ripcord 82 and solphilos like this.
  13. Ripcord 82

Ripcord 82

Feb 15, 2019
    Actually,I know of one dealer who gives the description in one sentence as being CV and in another sentence saying it is True Sharp and it has nothing to do with Amazon.In that case,I would call the dealer and confirm what the blade steel actually is. I ran across that while I was searching for a Case Barlow.At any rate, it is a typo that should be corrected.

14. TheFactor

Feb 26, 2015
    Bam !!
    Nuff said :D
    [​IMG]

15. r8shell

r8shell Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 16, 2010
    I find this answer from Case fascinating. When I look at almost all old sawcut bone, the cuts are curved and diagonal. Basically they are the marks left by the saw when cutting the slabs of bone for handles. It leads me to a question. (maybe I should ask it in the "what makes a traditional Barlow thread")

I always assumed that bone was cut into slabs for handles, later to either be polished smooth or jigged. On an inexpensive working knife like a Barlow, those finishing steps are skipped, and the saw marks remain. Over the years, this became so associated with the Barlow pattern that when Delrin covers were used, the molds were made to simulate sawcuts. I'm wondering, in this current production run of Barlows, are these actual saw cuts, or are they a type of jigging applied to the bone?

I'm not really complaining, but the straight horizontal lines on mine don't look to me like marks made by a saw. Maybe more like a coarse rasp file run across the flat bone, or some other jigging technique.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    I rather like the mottled, appaloosa effect of the dye. It should go well with a patina. :):thumbsup:

RDaneel, TFBraden, HotGuts and 13 others like this.
  16. TheFactor

Feb 26, 2015
    @r8shell I love how all these Case Barlow’s have a different flavor for each one . I really like yours with that vanilla and Carmel colors :thumbsup: a long with variety of saw cuts :thumbsup:

HotGuts and r8shell like this.
  17. r8shell

r8shell Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 16, 2010
    Thanks, I'm pleased with it. I'm also enjoying seeing all the variety.
    Of course, that's easy for me to say, since I got one I happen to like. It is a gamble, buying over the internet. I sure wish we all had local stores we could go to and drive the poor clerk crazy, asking to handle each one, picking out what we think is the best example...

I tried to sharpen it today, and had a bit of trouble, kept forming a burr that would flip from side to side. I think I'll have to use it and sharpen it a few times before get to the "good steel".
    [​IMG]

Dschal, RDaneel, TFBraden and 8 others like this.
  18. hornetguy

hornetguy Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2015
    Naah...just strop it. :)

19. TheFactor

Feb 26, 2015
    I’m not sure about the edge giving you a hard time but dinner sure looks good ! :D

20. TheFactor

Feb 26, 2015
    Strop it real good :p

zolthar likes this.