1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Spyderco C230GPPBK Lil Native Black Blade & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Nov 16!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Nov 17 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  2. Esav Benyamin has passed. Please pay your respects here

The Cheburkov Channel--Picture & Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by ChazzyP, Jun 13, 2019.

1. ChazzyP

ChazzyP Platinum Member Platinum Member

Dec 27, 2014
    Your comment about your son admiring the taper of the tip on your knife, @Officer's Match , got me looking at the blades on my three Chebs. I'd been thinking about the features of those knives before and, while they have numerous aspects that I find appealing, their blade shapes, details, and cutting geometry is just outstanding. My Scout's m390 blade is ground differently than your Damascus beauty--mine being a 5/6ths grind with that flat extending about halfway forward, while yours is an FFG. I do love the soft transition from primary bevel to flat and the matte-ish blade finish on mine.

[​IMG]

My blade tapers quickly over its last quarter to a fine tip, but the very slight bevel along its spine doesn't accentuate that to the degree that the pronounced chamfer along the spine of yours does. That's just a ridiculously narrow and beautiful point that yours comes to.

[​IMG]

The other thing that strikes me about all my Chebs is just how damn sharp they were out of the box. I'll often re-sharpen or re-profile a knife pretty soon after receiving it, but I'll actually regret it when the time comes to move on from their refined factory edges.

2. Officer's Match

Officer's Match Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 23, 2013
    I hear you ChazzyP, I am giddy over the blade on my Scout. I think it is kinda' cool how both it and my F95NL have that simple flat grind. That being said, my NL is a Medford compared to my Scout.

3. Officer's Match

Jan 23, 2013
    Hope you guys don't mind seeing more of this one, I am pretty enamored with it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

evilgreg and ChazzyP like this.
  4. Officer's Match

Jan 23, 2013
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. ChazzyP

Dec 27, 2014
    Beauty in simplicity, @Officer's Match . I don't think I'll tire of seeing that one any more than you will of showing it off. :)

6. Officer's Match

Jan 23, 2013
    Well put my friend, this one appeals to me in the way a Sebenza does, which goes to your point precisely. Yes, there is damascus, yes there is timascus, and yes it is a flipper. Yet in comparison to my equally beloved F95NL, it is so much more "organic", if that makes any sense.

It's sounds are subtle, almost muted. It has this "safety" step in it's closing routine: unlock and move blade, encounter the soft resistance (of the detent bearing - I have no idea how he made it feel so subtle) give blade spine a gently nudge with the thumb that now is safely out of the free swinging path, enjoy the visual and auditory show.

ChazzyP and Sharp & Fiery like this.
  7. ChazzyP

Dec 27, 2014
    I continue to be in awe of the tip on your new Scout, @Officer's Match , but was shooting pics of my Cheburkov blades and have to show of my Voron's blade spine too. It's a true distal taper and almost narrows to infinity as it seemingly disappears from view.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On the other hand, the tip of your Scout seems to melt away to nothingness.

Action, ergos, and appearance are all parts of what attract us to various knives, but with their outstanding blades and sharpness, the term cutlery is what comes to mind when I think of Alex's work.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2019
    Officer's Match likes this.