The Cheburkov Channel--Picture & Discussion Thread

Very nice! Id like to get a more fancy Russki like this with the overlays. Is your frame milled out?
Nope, it’s solid and has a nice heft to it. Nice Timascus going on too.
8b5t.jpg

8b5u.jpg

I saw one that was milled out. It must’ve been a custom build or something. I do like the heft of the solid scales though. The knife feels nice and sturdy.

I saw one that was milled out. It must’ve been a custom build or something. I do like the heft of the solid scales though. The knife feels nice and sturdy.
I don't know about the Russkiy's, but Scouts come both with and without lightening pockets. I was surprised back in early '18 when mine came without internal milling, but the dealer informed me that Cheburkov had produced some unmilled in response to customer requests for knives with more heft.

XU0W34q.jpg
A few months ago, I was minding my own business looking at Bladeforums and scrolling through photos and ran across the stunning custom Voron owned by ChazzyP ChazzyP that has been featured on this forum. I was awestruck by his knife and kept having intrusive thoughts about it from the moment I saw it. After months of not being able to forget the Voron, I finally took the plunge late in the evening on July 4 and ordered one from a well known Russian re-seller. The process was filled with some trepidation as I had never used this re-seller before, although they had a very professional website. The delivery process turned out to be flawless. After ordering, I received immediate email confirmations from the seller and a tracking number. The knife went into a tracking void for a little over a week at the Moscow station, and then suddenly emerged in New York and shortly thereafter at my home. Completely drama-free.

On to the knives. I ordered my production Voron in black marbled carbon fiber with brass hardware, an M390 blade and a Ti frame. The knife is simply outstanding. The fit and finish are incredible. Perfect early lock up. Authoritative action. Perfect detent. I couldn't be happier with it. I don't really collect knives--I buy what I love and I use all of them--and the Voron is no exception. Turns out, in addition to being a looker and a great flipper, it is also a great tool.

On a whim, I also ordered a small Strizh. I wanted something smaller and more portable. The Strizh I bought came with giraffe bone scales. Giraffe bone as a handle material can be quite polarizing aesthetically, but I thought it looked fantastic and especially fit the rugged character of this knife. If giraffe bone isn't your thing, the scales come in many other materials, but I have found the bone handle to be great visually and in use. I was unexpectedly blown away the small Strizh. The deployment is indescribable. It is telepathic. I barely touch the thumb stud and think the word "deploy" and the blade fires out. Like the Voron, the fit and finish are impeccable, lock-up is perfect, the blade is centered, and the whole thing is a wonder to hold and use.

Alex and team Cheburkov are doing amazing work. These knives may represent the best value of any I own (and I have a number of high-end production and custom flippers from the usual suspects which, in their own right, are top-notch and well-loved knives). I feel a Scout in my future, and if you're considering a Cheburkov, do it. I'm thrilled I did.
a9cJva3.jpg
Pm06cSZ.jpg

Last edited:
I’ve literally carried my Russki damn near everyday since I got it. It really is a great flipper and amazing tool. Anyone else think an integral Russki would be SO COOL?!

Sweet knives, DCFree DCFree ! I had my Scout with me again yesterday--one of my favorites and also one of the two sharpest out of the box for me ever.

sossEc4.jpg

There's a subtle elegance to the blade details on this one that never fails to elicit a little ooh from me when I open it.

E2jepNt.jpg

vkfsacK.jpg

Wow ChazzyP ChazzyP that is a stunner. I debated between the Scout and the Strizh and ended up with the latter and it is fantastic, but my interest in the Scout didn’t abate. And now you’ve posted these incredible pictures-like a voice saying “go ahead, just do it...”.

Hey all,

Does anyone know if the Kasatka scale inserts are removable? I see they are held in place with fasteners, but are they also glued in or held in with any sort of adhesive? For those of you who know me you know where I'm going with this.

Any photos of one in the wild? I only find the photo on a commercial site, front and back. Not sure I need a 4 and a quarter inch folder, but it's a darn nice looking knife. I'm sniffing around at a Cheburkov to add. I may go with the milled Ti Scout - that would go nice with my Shiro F95T, I think. Alternatively looking for an Ironwood scout or the Kasatka with ironwood. I do like CF/Ti handles, but having ironwood inserts to swap out would be ticket!

TIA,
TR

TRfromMT TRfromMT , I checked out my Voron as it has the CTek scale applied to the presentation side. I removed the rearward of the two attachment screws and was able to move that end of the scale back and forth slightly without removing the forward screw or pivot, so on my knife the scale is assuredly not glued. While Cheburkov offers great variety amongst their numerous models for size, shape, and style, the Workshop does tend to use many of the same techniques, materials, and finishes across their product line. I think that this represents an economy of methodology which contributes to the economy of price that is but one of great attributes of these excellent knives, all of which is to say that I doubt that the Kasatka scales are glued. I suspect that they are onlays, like my Voron CTek, and not inlays with the handle slabs milled out. My scale is extremely well fitted in every way.

BTW, I was extremely pleased to discover a total absence of thread- locker in the attachment. Here's a view of the screw and milling for it in the scale.

EQHbgyC.jpg

So, replacing an existing scale on a Cheb should be much less daunting that fitting one which is inset (or glued). It's also possible to order directly from the Workshop with one's own specs of finishes and/or materials as @sechip, I, and others have done.

As far as other knives go, I love my milled Scout and it does indeed fit in with both my F95's at half the cost. It is both similar in size and shape, but also has distinct attributes that separate it from other knives with which it is inevitably compared.

Looks like my Russian made knives collection will be growing by 1, a Scout with milled Ti scales. Birthday present. Knowing my wife, she will make me wait the month to open it...

New scout arrived today. Immediate impressions - I really like it. I was not sure if it would have the internal milled scales or not. It does not, and I wish it did. Oh well, no big deal there. It will need a little breaking in. I hope the lock engagement increases just a bit as it does. It's somewhat minimal (like, 10%?), and just looking at it I am actually a little nervous it might slip. Also would like the pocket clip with a bit more ramp to get it over the seam of my pants pocket.

This is a very sharp knife, zero issues with the factory edge.

Nice finish all over and the milled Ti with a fine stonewash (bead blast?) is really nice. The blade has a very nice, almost polished bead blast. I really like this finish on any knife.

The obvious comparison to my Turtle in all the various categories? I'd give the nod to the Shiro, but for the price difference, this seems only natural.

Edit to add: I do really like the way this action is just a hint more "hydraulic" than my Shiro. The shiro seems to have zero resistance to opening or closing, to the point I have to be careful where my thumb is on closing, lest it bite me. The Cheburkov has a hint of resistance, and is not quite free dropping closed. I actually prefer this. I wonder if it will become more so, but if it stayed this way I'd be happy.

20190805_122456~01.jpg 20190805_122208~01.jpg 20190805_122150~01.jpg

Last edited:
Anyone here have a photo of the lockup engagement on their Cheburkov? As mentioned above, mine is on the very short side of what I'm comfortable with. I cannot get it to move when I attempt to press it closed (looking for slip), and it appears to be solid enough. Just wondering where other's come in. Photo of mine below:

20190806_055506~01.jpg

Anyone here have a photo of the lockup engagement on their Cheburkov? As mentioned above, mine is on the very short side of what I'm comfortable with. I cannot get it to move when I attempt to press it closed (looking for slip), and it appears to be solid enough. Just wondering where other's come in. Photo of mine below:

View attachment 1174341
Is that a crack in the lock bar?

TRfromMT TRfromMT ,at the bottom of Page 3 ScooterG ScooterG related that his preference would be for later lock-up on his new Ruskiy. I agreed in my comments that the lock-up on my two Cheb frame locks was a bit early for my taste as well, but I could not make either slip no matter how lightly I opened them either by flipping or two finger pinch. The lock-up after opening with the latter method (just to see if it would slip) is earlier than by the former, which is somewhat less than half the lock-bar insert. Lock-up has gotten just a taste later after break-in with both and I can now push the bars over to the insert's full width like one can with a Shiro.

Normal flipping lock-up on my Scout...

2KSDXR3.jpg

...and on the Voron.

HUiWWlY.jpg

TRfromMT TRfromMT ,at the bottom of Page 3 ScooterG ScooterG related that his preference would be for later lock-up on his new Ruskiy. I agreed in my comments that the lock-up on my two Cheb frame locks was a bit early for my taste as well, but I could not make either slip no matter how lightly I opened them either by flipping or two finger pinch. The lock-up after opening with the latter method (just to see if it would slip) is earlier than by the former, which is somewhat less than half the lock-bar insert. Lock-up has gotten just a taste later after break-in with both and I can now push the bars over to the insert's full width like one can with a Shiro.

Normal flipping lock-up on my Scout...

2KSDXR3.jpg

...and on the Voron.

HUiWWlY.jpg

After a day of flipping my new Scout, the lock bar has more engagement. I can't get even a hint of slipping, nor is there any stick even when I force it completely over (about 50%) with my thumb. That will do for me, I guess.

After a day of flipping my new Scout, the lock bar has more engagement. I can't get even a hint of slipping, nor is there any stick even when I force it completely over (about 50%) with my thumb. That will do for me, I guess.
Don't have my Voron or Strizh with me, but if it is helpful the lock-up is virtually identical to yours and I have had no problems with it and, as it was strikingly early to me when first got the knife, I experimented and couldn't induce any slip whatsoever. Will post some photos when have them available. Enjoy the Scout!

My Russkiy lockup has gone further in and isn’t as much of a concern for me now compared to when I first got it.

Back