The coin thread--post pictures of your traditional knives with a coin

I ISKRA very interesting array of Southern Slavic coins, I may be wrong and you would know this, but wasn't former Yugoslavia both pre WW2 and after it, delineated by those who were Orthodox Christians - Serbs, Montenegrins, Macedonians using the Cyrillic alphabet and Slovenes, Croats as Catholics and Bosnians (Muslim and mixed) using the Latin alphabet? Whereas, Serbo-Croat as a language used both alphabets and was mutually intelligible between the various groups? Then Tito appeared, suppressed nationalism and defied the Soviets, later at the end of c20th the country fell into a mutually brutal civil-war but I think your part Slovenia seceded without bloodshed?

I think coins having a monarch's bust facing different directions is a tradition in most monarchies when the monarch changes.

As for knives with coin shields, ;) I can think of the former Queen Cutlery, Canal Street and Böker Germany. Any others using a medallion style shield?

CGEuEdC.jpg

White Owl and Athena's Owl on an Ancient Greek coin now shown on the Greek 1 Euro coin

I ISKRA very interesting array of Southern Slavic coins, I may be wrong and you would know this, but wasn't former Yugoslavia both pre WW2 and after it, delineated by those who were Orthodox Christians - Serbs, Montenegrins, Macedonians using the Cyrillic alphabet and Slovenes, Croats as Catholics and Bosnians (Muslim and mixed) using the Latin alphabet? Whereas, Serbo-Croat as a language used both alphabets and was mutually intelligible between the various groups? Then Tito appeared, suppressed nationalism and defied the Soviets, later at the end of c20th the country fell into a mutually brutal civil-war but I think your part Slovenia seceded without bloodshed?

I think coins having a monarch's bust facing different directions is a tradition in most monarchies when the monarch changes.

You are right, the use of script pretty much corresponds with religion. Fun fact, glagolica, the first Slavic script, developed by St Cyril and Methodus, was used in some parts of Croatia up until the first decade of the 20th century. Bosniaks are muslims from Bosnia and the Serbian Sandžak, Bosnians should be citizens of Bosnia, but opinion and selfidentification varries quite strongly ... I think Serbo-Croatian used both scripts, actually Serbian can use both too. Linguistically speaking Serbian, Croatian, Bosnian and Montenegrin are the same language, they're based on the same Eastern Hercegovinian dialect. Ironically this was done in the 19th century to make them more similar and after they breakup they are making them more and more different again. Indeed, Slovenia suffered only a 10 day war in 1991 and gained independance afterwards, while in other republics the war lasted until 1995, 1996 or 1999 and was very brutal. The only republic to fully avoid armed conflict was Macedonia.

Thanks for pointing out the tradition of changing directions when a new monarch came on the throne. Didn't know that.

Carl Schlieper sometimes uses a circulat shield with the eye and rays inside, I think to remember seeing it on some of their congress knives.

Thanks very much Žan . Now I think of it, Weidmannsheil feature a medallion / coin type shield, sometimes containing a Stag's head or Wild Boar with tusks, both are of course heraldic animals and kings of the forest, Bears too :cool: We have the latter here but no boar unfortunately, bores yes like everywhere :D:D:eek:

The past several weeks I carried an ebony Churchill then a Stag and stainless 15. Last week I got this Yankee Jack out for Tidioute Thursday and it's been in my pocket since. It's one of a few knives that I tweaked a little bit (making it my own) and will most likely be carried for the next few weeks.

Macassar Ebony Yankee Jack and 1944 U.S. Penny
BBnWI0Q.jpg

So the first year of the Buffalo nickel was 1913. I love this design! Most people didn’t realize that the American Indian image on the nickel was not an actual or real Indian, but a hodgepodge of several different images combined.
EDF2725A-D024-42A6-98B9-F38558D8D9B5.jpeg

Last edited:
Back