The coin thread--post pictures of your traditional knives with a coin

I really like Imperial German coins.

m8A9VtN.jpg

Modified Oz $1 with a Western 658.

The knife....
Given to me by my father in a used, but well cared for condition. I don't recall the actual date (let's just say it was a "few" years ago), but do remember that it was his EDC at the time. And was a treasure to me.

The Coin......
In the late '80's I did a couple year "Walkabout" in Australia (almost the entire time in Qld). I returned home with the usual pocket full of change and walking around money. My mother had mentioned many times that she really liked the graphics and art on the Oz money I brought home. On a number of occasions I noticed her carrying around one of my coins as a "worry stone" of sorts. So I had a jeweler add a loop to one, and paired with a rope chain strong enough to handle the weight. She wore it often.

After Mom (& Dad) passed, it was discovered that my sisters had already pilfered most of her jewelry. This was left behind with the many pieces of "costume" jewelry. The only part with any monetary value is the chain. But the sentimental value to me was high. Mostly because I saw her wear it often, even though she had many options to choose from.

Edit:. TinyPic dumped all my images, so guessing at what the original pics were, but probably close.

MQz9B9T.jpg

Tsdfdin.jpg

Last edited:
These came back from the Philippines with my Father after WW2.
I guess that would be a machete that looks well used. He had 2 of them. I took one and my brother took the other when he passed.
The coin is one peso from 1907. That was during the time when the Philippines was a US territory.
JevRgEZ.jpg

ABsEJCx.jpg

Modified Oz $1 with a Western 658.

e6vzvs.jpg

dw86di.jpg

The knife....
Given to me by my father in a used, but well cared for condition. I don't recall the actual date (let's just say it was a "few" years ago), but do remember that it was his EDC at the time. And was a treasure to me.

The Coin......
In the late '80's I did a couple year "Walkabout" in Australia (almost the entire time in Qld). I returned home with the usual pocket full of change and walking around money. My mother had mentioned many times that she really liked the graphics and art on the Oz money I brought home. On a number of occasions I noticed her carrying around one of my coins as a "worry stone" of sorts. So I had a jeweler add a loop to one, and paired with a rope chain strong enough to handle the weight. She wore it often.

After Mom (& Dad) passed, it was discovered that my sisters had already pilfered most of her jewelry. This was left behind with the many pieces of "costume" jewelry. The only part with any monetary value is the chain. But the sentimental value to me was high. Mostly because I saw her wear it often, even though she had many options to choose from.
Sounds familiar. When my mom passed my sister grabbed all the "valuables" and I got all the memories. I know I came out ahead.

I have a lot of coins from my travels in the Navy. This one brings back memories of the ebony wood carvings for sale on the pier (I traded a ball-point pen for a carved ebony dagger which I still have), a crazy night at the club, and the shellback ceremony I had to go through when we crossed the equator to get there :)
Coin_Traditional_02.JPG

Back