The Delica Effect

I just realized I didn't post mine yet!

20160114_103443.jpg

20160114_100425.jpg

My first and at the moment only Spyderco is a waved Delica. I've carried it for about 6 months everyday. For me it has been THE knife that I have always searched for and finally found. While on duty it rides out clipped to the ballistic panel pocket of my kevlar vest, just out of sight behind my shirt set up for right hand draw. Off duty it rides the right pants pocket. At night it's on the nightstand next to the duty pistol and tactical flashlight.

Last edited:
I wish the FFG retained the spine thickness of the saber grind but was still FFG. The D4 in FFG is just too thin for my tastes. The Endura in FFG is good and my Caly 3.5 is ideal. That or I wish the Saber ground variant didn't have shoulders like a fullback!

If you like the blade shape of D4 and want thicker spine, take a look at the Native 5, the blade size and handle is comparable to Delica.

Guys, I just bought a gray Delica 4 FFG with gray frn. This is my third knife and nicest one to date. Will my lansky crock sticks and my old leather belt be enough to keep the VG10 sharp? So far I've only dealt with 8cr13mov and Buck's 420hc on the vantage select which is my current EDC (til my D4 arrives anyway). I don't use my knives very hard at all, can't even say the last time I used one on cardboard, mostly I cut up fruit and open envelopes so the factory edge should be pretty easy to maintain. I am considering a sharpmaker in another few paychecks but if I can make do without then I won't bother.

Guys, I just bought a gray Delica 4 FFG with gray frn. This is my third knife and nicest one to date. Will my lansky crock sticks and my old leather belt be enough to keep the VG10 sharp? So far I've only dealt with 8cr13mov and Buck's 420hc on the vantage select which is my current EDC (til my D4 arrives anyway). I don't use my knives very hard at all, can't even say the last time I used one on cardboard, mostly I cut up fruit and open envelopes so the factory edge should be pretty easy to maintain. I am considering a sharpmaker in another few paychecks but if I can make do without then I won't bother.

I absolutely recommend the Sharpmaker. You'll be able to put a much better edge on your knife than with those cheap Lansky crock sticks...speaking from experience with using each system with 8Cr13MoV as well as AUS8, 1055 and SK-5.

Meanwhile the crock sticks and belt will work pretty well. Maybe get some black or white compound for the belt--check the 'bay.

Sal,

Any plans to offer the Waved Delica in any other steels or in a flat grind? My waved Delica is my go-to EDC folder. I choose it over more expensive knives, including a few other Spydercos.

I'd definitely purchase any other waved versions in different types of steel that you offer.

Thanks.

Picked up a Delica about a month ago and wow I love it. I wear xl gloves so I was hesitant, but it feels great in my hand! Definitely gets a lot of pocket time...

Simply try slice/draw cut a raw potato right in the middle and see it for yourself

Touché however I could say the Superleaf can still slice but can your FFG D4 pry? I like the ability to slice but value the robust build of Millie's or Superleaf type knives.

Love my delicas. I dyed the scales on this one and stonewashed the blade and pocket clip. I have since put a black pocket clip on it. I also have an old fully serrated Delica with the molded plastic pocket clip.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    48.2 KB · Views: 100
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 95
I just put some Boomer52 lefty scales on my hap40 so it can pocket on my support side

2016-03-04 10.07.28.jpg

Last edited:
Back