The Domino

The Taichung made knives are better than the ones made in Golden. Get over your misconceptions.

I'm not talking about quality issues as far as Taiwan spydercos are concerned. I'm sure Sal has nothing but the highest standard and expectations for his knives. I'm just stating that for the $$ it's hard to spend it on a non American made knife. Again, I'm only saying that because of the price point. I understand that several if you guys are telling me that Taiwan spydercos are top notch. I'm just hung up on the fact that for that kind of money why it can't be made here.

The Taichung made knives are better than the ones made in Golden. Get over your misconceptions. If the knives were produced at the same quality in the US as they are in Taiwan, you'd be looking at a huge price increase. For a Southard that normally costs $250-300, you'd probably be looking at over $400.

Bingo. Who's to say there isnt some cost savings in the taichung knives. Just because its expensive and made in Taiwan doesnt mean it wouldnt be more expensive if made in the US. People seem to think that nothing expensive can be made over seas. Where do you think the computer or phone or tablet you're reading this on comes from...?

You're only doing yourself a disservice by not giving the taiwan spydercos a chance. Try a Gayle Bradley and see what you've been missing without shelling out too much. On the off chance you're not impressed you can resell it here in a heartbeat.
It's not really fair to quote the msrp when saying these knives are overpriced though. You know none of us pay that.

It seems as though I'm almost alone on this one... If there is that much difference in quality, maybe I'll have to trade for something Taiwan made. Hard to believe, but I'm willing to give it a try.

I'm just hung up on the fact that for that kind of money why it can't be made here.

Because at this point, no new spydercos can be made here. Notice the shortage of the popular Golden CO made models. Sal has stated many times that if he could, he would produce all of the knives here but they just flat out dont have the production capacity. They are working on expanding the Golden CO plant, but until then, no foreign manufacturing would mean no new spyderco models. So if you want cool new knives like the domino, they need to be made over seas for the time being.

I am not anything but impressed with my Domino... flips like a custom folder... perhaps a wee bit better than my Southard... I own most every Spyderco from the US and from Taichung... I will not own a Chinese made knife... and there are some that have no country of origin stamp from other manufacturers and I stay away from them as well...

the Fit and Finish on my Para IIs and my Military knives is top-notch and the same for my Taichung Spydies... (imo, the Szabo folder has $500.00 knife quality all over it!)

in my heart and soul, Taiwan is NOT China... in terms of national policy and in terms of quality...

It seems as though I'm almost alone on this one... If there is that much difference in quality, maybe I'll have to trade for something Taiwan made. Hard to believe, but I'm willing to give it a try.

Not only are the Taichung knives of better quality, they are all super smooth and the biggest I difference I notice is how well they fold into the closed position. You can slam them down and they just stick and won't bounce back.

I was at a local gun show today and I found one. Picked it up to play with it and upon closing it it came down on my thumb and man o man is that thing sharp, blood instantly. So I had to buy it since it cut me.

This thing is one of the best knives I have seen spyderco put out. I love the pm2 but this thing is perfect for edc. If your on the fence and you like spyderco's this one is the one to get.

Its also really sharp.

Hi M.Freeeze,

I understand your concerns. We are working with a particular maker of excellent skills that just happens to live in Taiwan. We have a really hard time finding makers that can meet our quality standards and we were fortunate to have partnered up with this maker. All of the steel used in our Taiwan plant is USA made, shipped to us in Golden and we ship to Taiwan.

The Taiwan costs are significantly higher than China, and US boutique steels are not cheap. If we tried to make everything in our USA plant, we couldn't offer the numbers and variety. Perhaps in time, we will produce more in Golden, but with partners as we have, we would still work with them. We've been working with our Seki makers since 1980. I worked with the fathers, my son is now working with their sons.

You might keep an open mind (we call it a drafty brain), trust that we've done our homework and try one. :cool:

sal

Mr. Glesser, I have bought your knives for 23 yrs. I know that every knife you produce wether in USA or timbuktu, is a quality product and I would never ? your methods of production because I know that your products must meet your standards and they are high. I just bought a domino and as far as quality goes it is the best knife I have purchased, (besides the PM2):). Please continue to make flippers.

I'd like to thank you for taking the time to clarify that. It speaks volumes for "Mr. Spyderco" himself to reply to a thread started by someone on a forum. Certainly you believe in and stand behind your products. I will make it my mission to buy/trade for a Taiwan made knife very soon.
If I end up liking it be on the lookout for a thread titled "My foot has just been inserted in my mouth"...

"BAZILLIONS" I feel I owe you an apology. You started this thread with good intentions, and I came along and messed it up. I didn't know there was so much support behind the Taiwan made spydercos. Lesson learned on my part. I hope you enjoy your new knife.

Just a side note, this was never meant to bash spyderco. I am #0032 of spydernation, and own and use several spydercos.

Freeze. You will be impressed. Top notch. And these Taichung models would cost so much more if made in Golden. With materials and the same quality. Sal has said it all before. It's sort of a shaking of the hands. In using Taiching. Sal is able to keep and create more jobs for us and them. Most important. With allowing us to afford quality. These would then be sold for much more from dealers here. Not $197-200.

Freeze. You will be impressed. Top notch. And these Taichung models would cost so much more if made in Golden. With materials and the same quality. Sal has said it all before. It's sort of a shaking of the hands. In using Taiching. Sal is able to keep and create more jobs for us and them. Most important. With allowing us to afford quality. These would then be sold for much more from dealers here. Not $197-200.

Well said.

HI PC,

Thanx for the kind words. Eric is in charge of flippers and I know he has some more in-the-works.

M.FREEZE,

I don't think anyone here thought you were bashing. This forum has a very astute and knowledgable group of posters. (lot of class visiting here)

sal

I have to say it, my first thought of the Domino was that it is a classy knife, but I will use it hard everyday.

Hey Eric, make some more flippers in 204p,

Thank you.

Eric is in charge of flippers and I know he has some more in-the-works.

Eric is 2 out of 2 with home runs for both Southard and Domino. Sure one can nitpick on minor personal issues but they're both superb flippers. :thumbup:

For the record my two personal preference nitpicks are bland brown G10 scale on Southard and too wide a blade on the Domino. We're splitting hairs here. :)

The Domino is on my short list. Wish I could afford one but university is expensive. I'm going to save up to get one for my birthday in about 6 months.

HI PC,

Thanx for the kind words. Eric is in charge of flippers and I know he has some more in-the-works.

sal

How about a Domino XL? I'd pick one up. I'd love a 3.75+ inch version. What do you think Eric? I know your read the boards sometimes, hope you catch this!

How about a Domino XL? I'd pick one up. I'd love a 3.75+ inch version. What do you think Eric? I know your read the boards sometimes, hope you catch this!

I live in a more restrictive area so I just made my Domino shorter by about 1/8th an inch. It will now serve as my primary EDC now (of course that's what I said with the Techno, DFly2, Native5, Forum Native5, etc...LOL. I wonder how long before the itch starts again!)

Back