The Domino

This is my second time suggesting for a Domino XL and no takers. Tough crowd.

Its cool that you were able to shorten it to your liking, wish I can extend it myself. :)

I like it as is, but just like a Manix XL, Endura, Military is to their smaller brothers I think a bigger Domino would be sweet as well.

Actually, I suggest a true 3 inch blade flipper with the same slim profile as the Southard, CTS-204P (or CTS-XHP) and CF Scale or all titanium.

HI PC,
Thanx for the kind words. Eric is in charge of flippers and I know he has some more in-the-works.

Excellent news Sal - could you drop any hints as to whether any of those in-the-works flippers will use a different lock than liner/framelocks?

After carrying my Domino for the past week I can honestly say that it is the 1st knife I have owned that I would be willing to buy more than one of. So here's hoping that a few sprint variants are on the drawing board ^^

As far as a wish built flipper, I'd like to see a M390 modified wharncliffe blade (like the Perrin PPT) in the 3-3.5" range, Full CF scales, and a caged ball/bolt action lock, please!

"BAZILLIONS" I feel I owe you an apology. You started this thread with good intentions, and I came along and messed it up. I didn't know there was so much support behind the Taiwan made spydercos. Lesson learned on my part. I hope you enjoy your new knife.
No worries, man. All I was hoping for was a discussion and that's what I got. I originally felt the same way as you until I really started carrying some of the foreign made knives. It's a stigma imho.

My Domino is hands down my favorite Spyderco product to date. I cannot criticize it at all. Perfect build quality and F&F all around.
It's been said that Spyderco's best products come from their Taichung factory and I'd have to agree.

This is my second time suggesting for a Domino XL and no takers. Tough crowd.

Its cool that you were able to shorten it to your liking, wish I can extend it myself. :)

I like it as is, but just like a Manix XL, Endura, Military is to their smaller brothers I think a bigger Domino would be sweet as well.
Your not alone. I think it's a great idea. I have several Manix 2's and the XL and really the XL. A Domino XL 3 1/2 to 3 3/4 would be a home run.

It seems as though I'm almost alone on this one... If there is that much difference in quality, maybe I'll have to trade for something Taiwan made. Hard to believe, but I'm willing to give it a try.

you're not alone, i too prefer american made products. i have no problem supporting skilled hands in Taiwan but USA comes first.

however it's a complicated question when it comes to manufacturing skills. many people have asked Apple why the iPhone is not manufactured domestically. Tim Cook answered on prime time TV, and I will just insert the transcript here:

WILLIAMS: Let's say our Constitution was a little different and Barack Obama called you in tomorrow and said, "Get everybody out of China, and do whatever you have to do to make everything you make in the United States." What would that do to the price of this device?

COOK: Honestly, it's not so much about price it's about the skills, etc. Over time, there are skills that are associated with manufacturing that have left the U.S. Not necessarily people, but the education system stopped producing them.

Honestly I don't recall anyone wanting to major in anything dealing with manufacturing in college. Everyone is going to get an MBA these days, and those people learn to "manage", but can't do the actual work.

Here's what Sal said a couple of years ago including: "It's just my opinion; We must build product in America or we will forget how."

While I cannot speak for other manufactuers, I can tell you that Spyderco makes the Sage models in Taiwan because of:

1. Exceptional build quality.
2. Capacity to make them at all.
3. Provides funds to grow our US factory. (USA jobs)
4. Steel, G-10, clips and fasteners are USA made and shipped to Taiwan. (USA jobs)
5. Our people purchase the materials, ship to Golden, then ship to Taiwan. (USA jobs)
6. We employ US workers to design, procure monitor their production, quality control, marketing, distributing, shipping product (USA jobs).

Wages in Taiwan are about the same as the US or a tad higher. Their engineers, knifemakers, CNC operators, grinders, etc. live as we do. It's the US Dollar / Taiwan Dollar valuation that makes the difference.

Our US factory, (while still growing) is making as many knives as we can as fast as we can. Who else in America could make them for us to our quality standards? Our Japanese makers could not take on the project of so many different locks, each re-engineered for each model and each with different exotic handle materials. It's a tough line to make, especially with a new lock each year.

It was use this particular maker in Taiwan or not have the model available at all for our discriminating customers.

It's a good question and one that I believe all Americans need to be concerned about. That's why we continue to grow our US factory rather than just outsource all to China and make a lot more money.

It's just my opinion; We must build product in America or we will forget how. (Afghanistan went from producing female Doctors to illiterate women in just two generations). We must grow food in America, enough to feed us all by at least double. We need to.........................Ok, off my bandwagon. I think you know what i mean.

It's always intersting to watch a thread about a Taiwan made Sage gravitate to "sweatshops" in China" and "child labor" and "lost jobs". :rolleyes:

It seems that I've read so many of the political arguments for and against China in the past 6 months that come out of Taiwan Spyderco discusions, it's discouraging.

If anyone wants to LEARN more about China and how it relates to America, the world, jobs and money, I could probably shed some light. But, better in it's own thread.

Taiwan is not China.

Your not alone. I think it's a great idea. I have several Manix 2's and the XL and really the XL. A Domino XL 3 1/2 to 3 3/4 would be a home run.

Exactly. They have a hit right under their noses. It's so obvious too.

I "hijacked" this thread to push my DominoXL idea, and the only responses I got before yours were several guys "hijacking" my moment to push their mini Southard agenda :confused:

Enough 3 inch blades on the lineup. 99% of America allows for blades beyond 3 inches. :mad: Dangit. :D

Why not both? Domino XL (3.5") & Southard Mini (3"). I'll buy both. We all win. :thumbup:

There you go! :thumbup:

3.75XL Domino and a smaller flipper of sorts.

As far as a wish built flipper, I'd like to see a M390 modified wharncliffe blade (like the Perrin PPT) in the 3-3.5" range, Full CF scales, and a caged ball/bolt action lock, please!
I'll take two!

Ramzar-your collection of quotes should be stickied:D Every time this repetitive argument comes up we can just refer to one single thread, and continue discussing what the OP had in mind.

I have to admit, I was very excited when the Domino was originally announced at 3.54" iirc, and then bummed when 3.13" was confirmed. I am very pleased with the handle size though. If I had a choice, I would pick the bigger one, but at this point if a Domino XL came out I would probably have to pass. Not enough money and too many other unique Spydies to get. However a Domino XL in a different steel (20CP or K390) might persuade me. XHP is nice, and I would love for it to replace S30V as it seems a bit more chip/role resistance so far, but I wish the Domino had a more higher end wear resistant steel.

I was just perusing the KSF site's intro of the Ti/CF Domino - and found myself lusting for it! Sadly, I like my Benchmades, Bucks, Kershaw/ZT's, and Spydies made in the USA, and the Bokers and Pumas made in Germany. Make my SAKs in Switzerland, while you are at it. No rationale - just my preference(... and - my money!).

Of course, buying trends change... I am a fickle knife-slut... and that Domino is nice...

Stainz

I've had my domino now for 4 days, the only thing and I mean the only thing that nags me is the scale. It just seems a bit fancy I guess is the word. I hope somebody starts making some scales, any scale at this point in my opinion will be better and make this knife look more rugged and not so fancy.

Saying all that about the scale, every other aspect of this knife is perfect for me in my edc needs. This is my first Taichung knife and I can say without a doubt it is the highest quality spyderco Ive had.

I hope they make one in 204p soon with a different scale pattern, I will buy that one as well.

Exactly. Enough 3 inch blades on the lineup. 99% of America allows for blades beyond 3 inches. :mad: Dangit. :D

Haven't looked at how the laws go with other big cities but in Los Angeles, it is very confusing. Just from reading here, it seems Chicago and at least NY has even tougher laws. I would assume other big cities share similar. Geographically, 99% of the US may be able to carry longer, but by population it may be much lower. I like my Domino so much that I shaved it down a little so I can more freely carry it. :)

As for a Domino XL, I would go for one. But I am of the "why not buy both camp" so I would like a mini Southard as well (and probably whatever other variants / sprint runs!)

Chicago, NY city, and LA, by population I would bet that it is still be around 99% but I agree that the more the merrier.

Back