The Just Hanging Out Thread.

If u had only 40 bucks for a knife which one would you choose.
First thing that popped into my mind was a SAK Cadet. Can easily be had around $30 new. SAK Farmer is a good choice too for close to $40. Tons of other SAKs around that price point and they are great knives. For fixed, you are probably going to be going Mora at that price, and nothing wrong with that. They make some great, affordable stuff.

If you can up that to $50, things really start to open up. Some good Bucks in that range (110 for example). Fixed blades you will have some Enzos in there. Plenty of Case patterns at $50. Etc.

Edit: I don't know how well Kershaw does their D2, but for under $50... this looks like a helluva knife.

Edit part 2! :D : To give you an idea of what is out there in that range:

Last edited:
First thing that popped into my mind was a SAK Cadet. Can easily be had around $30 new. SAK Farmer is a good choice too for close to $40. Tons of other SAKs around that price point and they are great knives. For fixed, you are probably going to be going Mora at that price, and nothing wrong with that. They make some great, affordable stuff.

If you can up that to $50, things really start to open up. Some good Bucks in that range (110 for example). Fixed blades you will have some Enzos in there. Plenty of Case patterns at $50. Etc.

Edit: I don't know how well Kershaw does their D2, but for under $50... this looks like a helluva knife.
thank you for your answer .

If u had only 40 bucks for a knife which one would you choose.

Really depends on what you want our of a knife.

- Kershaw Leek is hard to beat for a light user EDC, and is only marginally above the $40 mark - US made is a bonus.
- Onterio Rat 2 or ESEE Avispa if you want something a little more utilitarian.
- Ruike builds a heck of a knife, and quite a few of them can be had in that price range.
In fact, a lot of the budget Chinese brands are really good for ~$40 or less.
- I'd also trust anything Buck in that range.

Just some folders quickly off the top of my head. Like Deinos Deinos mentioned, if you can move up to a $50 price point, things really open up.

Are these for you, or gifts for someone else? (Seems like a good price point for x-mas gifts)

Thank you for your answer,and it's for me I'm looking for a knife that cuts really good and can be used for some hard use.

Thank you for your answer,and it's for me I'm looking for a knife that cuts really good and can be used for some hard use.
right now
Rat cuts like a laser, and they are especially good if you spring for d2 :thumbsup: Helluva knife
thank you for all of the answers,I just remembered my son needs a new activity table,so I'm getting that first,then a knife.

If $40 is your absolute limit, I'd say try the Rat 2 or the ESEE. I don't have any personal experience with them, but they are both have solid reputations.

If you can go a tad over, you might also want to look at a Steel Will Modus. I've found its sheepsfoot blade very versatile, and the D2 holds a decent edge for a long time (I periodically touch mine up on some cheap diamond stones, so it's never really been dull - but I also only put a working edge on it). The FRN scales aren't the prettiest, but they work really well in the hand, in pretty much any condition. I've been carrying the 3.25" version for almost a year now as a primary EDC (from the PIF thread, btw), and it's taken everything I've thrown at at. The 2.75" should come in just a few $ over 40 if you search around.

Again, your price point is right on the bubble. Not that there isn't good stuff in there, but opening it up $10-20 really changes things.

If $40 is your absolute limit, I'd say try the Rat 2 or the ESEE. I don't have any personal experience with them, but they are both have solid reputations.

If you can go a tad over, you might also want to look at a Steel Will Modus. I've found its sheepsfoot blade very versatile, and the D2 holds a decent edge for a long time (I periodically touch mine up on some cheap diamond stones, so it's never really been dull - but I also only put a working edge on it). The FRN scales aren't the prettiest, but they work really well in the hand, in pretty much any condition. I've been carrying the 3.25" version for almost a year now as a primary EDC (from the PIF thread, btw), and it's taken everything I've thrown at at. The 2.75" should come in just a few $ over 40 if you search around.

Again, your price point is right on the bubble. Not that there isn't good stuff in there, but opening it up $10-20 really changes things.
A couple years ago I would have said the Delica 4... could get them at $50 - $60 all day long and well worth it at that price. Harder to recommend at close to $80 vs the current competition... Pricing has changed a ton in the past 3 years.

The popular opionion these days is the Steel Will Modus, or Cutjack or Civivi Praxis. They're the new Rat 1, Blur, CaraCara Kabar Dozier lockback which were the old guard for best value folders.

I love Buck knives and they have lots in the sub $50 range worth picking up but I do prefer the more expensive dressed up versions you can get from people and places.

Better in what way? It can be a bit subjective reply on it but if we don't know what you mean by better it is confusing.

It has no thumbstud. Bigger question is can you deal with that. Lotta nice slippies out there for $450 or less.

Anyone in here know where I can find a blank of stabilized colorful birch for a custom handle that isn't in Russia/ebay/etc?
Looking to have someone handle a Mora 2000 for me.

Anyone in here know where I can find a blank of stabilized colorful birch for a custom handle that isn't in Russia/ebay/etc?
Lotsa options on etsy. Small mom and pop shops!

Could check with member Dopic1...don't know if he has birch, but he's known for his wood:D

Back