The Just Hanging Out Thread.

Introducing ‘Nukka of the Northern Lights’ (her official AKC name) but we just call her Nukka.

She’s a purebred Alaskan Malamute. She’s about 14 1/2 weeks (we’ve had her for a month and a half now) and already 35.5 lbs as of Saturday. She’s gonna be a moose, as both her parents are 110/120 lbs, and her paws are as big as her head (also quite large...lol).

Our last dog passed in early June at the age of 13, and as much as we tried, we could not find another dog to rescue, as the shelters were all bare, and even the rescue groups had limited dogs, and even fewer that would work for us. So we had to find a reputable breeder and wait for a puppy.

I’ve always had winter dogs, but this is the first purebred (I’ve always rescued), and man, does she personify all the typical traits of a Malamute. She big, goofy, loves people and kids, extremely intelligent, but is a total handful, want to chew or eat everything- including us, and is stubborn as a mule. Yep, we love her to death! :p I definitely see why they say Malamutes are not good for first time owners, or even people with experience with the breed. Thankfully, we knew what we were in for.

Without further ado, here’s our little fluff-but:

Trying to look sweet and innocent - don’t fall for it, she’ll tear up a tennis shoe, a couch cushion, or your garden in a blink of an eye
QSmAynn.jpg

We call her “Maligator” - part malamute, part alligator, because she has those sharp puppy teeth inside jaws of death. She was attempting to eat my face off as I held her in the air here :eek:
znco5kE.jpg

She loves riding in the truck! Can also get an idea here of just how big she is, considering she’s just 3 1/2 months old (sitting with my niece who’s 14 for comparison)
txsAHlb.jpg

My daughter and Nukka are becoming besties
Okm1ciD.jpg

And of course sometimes, she actually does sleep! Especially after a 3 mile hike in the woods
nJLMiij.jpg

This was our Cyan, who we had to put down a few months ago. Part husky and part greyhound (odd mix) Even with the new puppy, the house is still missing something without her
pYr01Hn.jpg

Cinbq5N.jpg
Thanks for the pics! Love a dog with "personality":D Our Boxer mix was the same way when he was a pup (which lasted for about 2ish years... lol). Howie still has a lot of personality... just a little lazier about it these days. He'll be 13 in March, so trying to soak up all the time we can with him.

I know what you mean about Cyan. We lost our Boston Terrier, Reagan, to cancer about 5 yrs ago, and I still half expect her to come barreling around the corner in the kitchen every once in awhile. Great dogs leave their mark on you.

Don't forget to vote today folks!

Update: I was in the middle of setting up my own llc when some interviews made traction. I'll definitely be employed before 2021!

Right on!!! Congrats! Long time coming.

Don't forget to vote today folks!

Update: I was in the middle of setting up my own llc when some interviews made traction. I'll definitely be employed before 2021!
Congrats!

BTW, I KNOW you like good pizza, and I found a pretty legit AVPN pizza restaurant here in the DMV and picked up a pizza Margherita from there after voting today . . . It was molto bene! So I win today no matter what!

Pizza Box.jpg

Really enjoying the cooler, but not cold, weather lately. Looking forward to getting the holidays out of the way this weekend as the wife and I are hiding out this winter for exciting reasons.

Good luck on the interviews cchu518 cchu518 , I'm sure you're going to do well. Don't forget to interview them to make sure you avoid more toxic company culture. I'm convinced that if I interview again I'm going to ask to speak with people who would be my peers if I got the role so that I could try to get past the showmanship that hiring and interviewing seems to be. As they say, the best way to know how good a leader/manager is, is to talk with their direct reports.

Anyone carrying anything new and exciting in their pockets? I've really slowed down trying new knives, lights, bags, etc. this year but I traded into a lionsteel SR2 recently and I'm really enjoying having a classier looking folder for work again. I've been carrying a protech TR2 much of the summer and rotated to the native 5 again as that's what I carry in my work vest when the temps are cool enough for it. Mixed in with some small fixed blades and slipjoints of course.

Really enjoying the cooler, but not cold, weather lately. Looking forward to getting the holidays out of the way this weekend as the wife and I are hiding out this winter for exciting reasons.

Good luck on the interviews cchu518 cchu518 , I'm sure you're going to do well. Don't forget to interview them to make sure you avoid more toxic company culture. I'm convinced that if I interview again I'm going to ask to speak with people who would be my peers if I got the role so that I could try to get past the showmanship that hiring and interviewing seems to be. As they say, the best way to know how good a leader/manager is, is to talk with their direct reports.

Anyone carrying anything new and exciting in their pockets? I've really slowed down trying new knives, lights, bags, etc. this year but I traded into a lionsteel SR2 recently and I'm really enjoying having a classier looking folder for work again. I've been carrying a protech TR2 much of the summer and rotated to the native 5 again as that's what I carry in my work vest when the temps are cool enough for it. Mixed in with some small fixed blades and slipjoints of course.

Excited to hear about your hiding out reasons at some point!

Been on a fixed blade and pack tear over the course of this whole pandemic thing.. don't even want to talk about the numbers...:eek::confused:o_O

Some highlights... Mudbug, Joe Loui Chico midtech, Carothers DEK1, Beer and Sausage Knife, XM 18 Skinny 3.5, Cross Mini Muk, AKC Compact Forest, Adventure Sworn Custom Classic... Nabbed some Hidden Woodsmen gear as well.

Going to be putting up some sales to offset the glut soon... oy.

Seconded!

How about that - we have a place here called Bourbon Street Pizza! Their pie simply rocks.

Our town is filled to the brim with great pizza spots... I love my wife... but she is not the most reliable when it comes to choosing one of them;)

For me it's been a steady rotation of a Gerber US1 and LST which are basically the same knife, Native 5 lw, PM3 LW, Manix LW, Baby Jess Horn and MD Dogtooth. I ended up selling my latest CRK, it was probably the best do it all if I had to own only 1 knife. But ultimately I felt that it fell short in that I've never managed to keep or use any knife with a metal handle. The little copper matrix notwithstanding.

I've been playing paintball nearly every weekend though and it's help me stay active and I used the cash from the CRK to pickup a mechanical paintball gun which I love bs my other electro gun. The cooler temps are a great season for paintball too!

Been away from the forum for a time, and finally have a week off since the beginning of the pandemic.

Been trying to get back into GEC and the market is nuts. Managed to make some trades and have some interesting stuff coming in (Beer and Sausage, Lonestar 35, custom handled 71), but it’s clear it’s going to be a bear getting hands on new releases for awhile. The no more SFO thing is a bummer, but also might help some if they can just focus on the GEC models.

But def swinging back to traditionals, only have a few Bugouts and a couple Taiwanese folders left otherwise. Funny to see the changes in taste I’ve had since joining BF that’s now coming full circle again.

Back