The Just Hanging Out Thread.

Been away from the forum for a time, and finally have a week off since the beginning of the pandemic.

Been trying to get back into GEC and the market is nuts. Managed to make some trades and have some interesting stuff coming in (Beer and Sausage, Lonestar 35, custom handled 71), but it’s clear it’s going to be a bear getting hands on new releases for awhile. The no more SFO thing is a bummer, but also might help some if they can just focus on the GEC models.

But def swinging back to traditionals, only have a few Bugouts and a couple Taiwanese folders left otherwise. Funny to see the changes in taste I’ve had since joining BF that’s now coming full circle again.

There have been a few conversations about how crazy it is to get GEC's. It's great for GEC and I'm glad they've found such a good market to stay in business during the pandemic. Not all small businesses are doing as well.

I picked up their pioneer trapper and found it to be a pretty neat knife. It's huge, like a 2-bladed buck 110, minus the lock of course. The springs are silly stiff, which I don't care for when it has a half-stop too.

Honestly, it's been driving me towards the Lionsteel, and similar, traditionals. Especially the stuff from Collectorknives.

Yeah, those 23s can be beasts! I have one from an older run and it’s gorgeous but I don’t carry it much anymore cause of the size and pull. It’s just finally loosening up after ten years!

There have been a few conversations about how crazy it is to get GEC's. It's great for GEC and I'm glad they've found such a good market to stay in business during the pandemic. Not all small businesses are doing as well.

I picked up their pioneer trapper and found it to be a pretty neat knife. It's huge, like a 2-bladed buck 110, minus the lock of course. The springs are silly stiff, which I don't care for when it has a half-stop too.

Honestly, it's been driving me towards the Lionsteel, and similar, traditionals. Especially the stuff from Collectorknives.

Same with the GEC stuff. Picked up a Beer and Sausage knife... but the effort definitely turned me off from adding much more than that to my GEC collection this year... Spyderco's treatment of exclusives has left a similar taste in my mouth (did pick up a DLT Smock though... always wanted to try one out).

Yeah, been on the hunt for a B&S and they are becoming unubtanium.
Shame, they look cool, and half the group seems to hate them. But you have to hope to magically stumble across one at this point.

Yeah, been on the hunt for a B&S and they are becoming unubtanium.
Shame, they look cool, and half the group seems to hate them. But you have to hope to magically stumble across one at this point.
I got ridiculously lucky on KnivesShipFree with the NCM version. Tried for ebony and struck out on every site that offered them...

I got ridiculously lucky on KnivesShipFree with the NCM version. Tried for ebony and struck out on every site that offered them...
. Yeah, I've been throwing other stuff at B&Ss for trade and having no luck... got to sell a few things, it looks like.
I dud buy a Boker Club Gentleman from Lamnia that I can't wait to get. Basically a GEC 35.

. Yeah, I've been throwing other stuff at B&Ss for trade and having no luck... got to sell a few things, it looks like.
I dud buy a Boker Club Gentleman from Lamnia that I can't wait to get. Basically a GEC 35.
Ohhhh, I like that Boker. Especially like that it uses N690.

Coyja Coyja I have come more or less full circle but still like both moderns and traditionals. But I seem to buy more traditionals overall for the last couple of years. GEC.... yeah, I like their knives overall. But I am not going to go to great lengths to get my hands on a new release. If It is available and I want it, I buy it. My last was the 86. I don't collect them and I certainly don't need any more to use... so, if something grabs me and it's available, I'll buy it. Otherwise, I'm not going to worry about it. This attitude saves me money and not getting a certain knife has no impact what so ever on my life or my knife interest. ;)

This attitude saves me money and not getting a certain knife has no impact what so ever on my life or my knife interest. ;)

Yeah, its not like I'm losing sleep over it or anything, just a strange return to the game. I tend to circle back to traditionals on a several year basis, and always have had an easy time quickly finding what I was looking for, but things are different now... and wow are prices higher. I looked back over some of my sales like 2-3 years ago and the same knives are 2-4x what I sold them for, lol.

Off topic, but that profile picture is from the cartoons in Pipes Magazine, no?

Yeah, its not like I'm losing sleep over it or anything, just a strange return to the game. I tend to circle back to traditionals on a several year basis, and always have had an easy time quickly finding what I was looking for, but things are different now... and wow are prices higher. I looked back over some of my sales like 2-3 years ago and the same knives are 2-4x what I sold them for, lol.

Off topic, but that profile picture is from the cartoons in Pipes Magazine, no?
Case in point... just saw someone trying to move a REC Para 3 exclusive for $500 on another trade site...o_O...:rolleyes:...

Looking back at this exchange from a few months back and I went all in on what GECs I could get and have had a chance to try out a few patterns I never handled before.
I still don't have that many, but now I'm all about the 42/43 and 97.
I would have never thought I'd like the 97, but I got one in a giveaway and its fantastic. Still some out there at dealers.
So, its still doable to get ahold of some of these, and the trading is still alright (though, some guys think they have solid gold slip joints, it seems), at least enough to keep me interested.

GEC is really having one heck of a year of releases so far...maybe not all in everyone's wheelhouse, but certainly interesting.

After a year away from working I'm officially employed again.

If we ever return to office and commuting I may have to pick up a few traditionals! Hope all everyone is well in the New Year!

Congrats!:thumbsup:

After a year away from working I'm officially employed again.

If we ever return to office and commuting I may have to pick up a few traditionals! Hope all everyone is well in the New Year!

Congrats!

I’m sure you and yours are happy:D! Things sure have changed with the work world.
Oh it has and it hasn't I was a cross border consultant for European companies whose companies were publicly listed in the U.S. most of the time I would never meet or see a client. So now I have to appear decent on calls at least from the waist up lol.

Back