The NEXT SALE

As a newbie to some acronyms or maybe I’ve heard it and the brain is just giving out. What is an Aebl UF? Please delete and forgive me if it’s been asked 100 times already. I just hate reading through old stuff. Thank you sports fans. Sc

Edit- did some research after replies. Thank you.

AEB-L is a stip steel made in Sweden by Uddeholm.

Composition:
C Si Mn max P max S Cr
0.68 0.4 0.65 0.025 0.015 12.8
Few know what AEB-L steel is, and those that do, only have heard that it is similar to 440B or 440A. The only similarities between AEB-L and 440B or 440A is the amount of carbon. The fact that AEB-L has only 12.8% chromium by weight compared to the 16-17% in 440A and 440B makes the steels quite different. AEB-L is more similar to a stainless 52100 than 440A. A copy of AEB-L called 13C26 is made by Sandvik.

AEB-L naturally forms what is called the K2 carbide, the harder of the two chromium carbides, compared to the K1 carbide, which is formed in steels such as 440C. The K2 carbide is about 79 on the Rockwell C scale, compared to 72 for the K1 carbide. Through proper heat treatment, AEB-L has fine, evenly distributed K2 carbides. AEB-L lies almost perfectly on what is called the "Carbon Saturation Line", which means that all of the carbides formed are precipitated carbides, not primary carbides like are formed in 440C, and there is more carbon and a similar amount chromium in solution as compared to 440C. Primary carbides are very large. So, through a balanced composition, AEB-L has excellent toughness, edge retention, workability, ease of sharpening, and ease of polishing.

Last edited:
3" EDC3 and/or Field Knife 2 here on the CPK sub forum, Friday Jan 25th.

Sales are at 3:00 eastern time. And maybe again at 5.

Interesting format being planned as and / or

NVM on where, brain not getting into gear fast enough on a slow Monday (well at least that's my excuse!).

ETA: I read the and / or options as the winner being able to request either one or both pending count availability, not as two separate sales at different times. Heck, I'm easily confused and muddled up!

Last edited:
Interesting format being planned as and / or

NVM on where, brain not getting into gear fast enough on a slow Monday (well at least that's my excuse!).

ETA: I read the and / or options as the winner being able to request either one or both pending count availability, not as two separate sales at different times. Heck, I'm easily confused and muddled up!

I take it that since it is here on the subforum, the thread will be posted, locked, and available to view. But it will be either two threads or one thread of Nathan's choosing.

Only one way to find out. See you all Friday...

I take it that since it is here on the subforum, the thread will be posted, locked, and available to view. But it will be either two threads or one thread of Nathan's choosing.

Only one way to find out. See you all Friday...
Oh man, two threads unlocking at the same time would be brutal...decisions, decisions;)

Back