The Official Lanyard Thread

Can’t wait for my Massdrop x Ferrim Forge Mordax so I made a pearl colored lanyard to match my TR-3’s button instead.

IxPLFFf.jpg

Last edited:
What kind of lanyards are you guys running on your Para 3s? I tried one on mine and I think it looks like dogshit. Maybe it needs thinner cord? Different knot style? Or maybe the Para 3's just not a lanyard knife? Maybe I'll try one going around the tube rather than through it.

fdVVcKc.jpg

Round Crown Sinnet on Spyderco Breeden Rescue. This is my beater that I use for chopping through stuff when I'm doing yardwork or tearing down fireworks displays or whatever it may be. I've found this lanyard to be perfect for getting a good grip with a few fingers whilst maintaining control of the knife and swinging it in for hard chops. The knife doesn't have a solid lock-up anymore thanks to all this hard work, but it still performs like a champ. Still... it's kinda put me off ever buying a knife with a liner lock again!

Attachments

• breeden rescue.jpg
    breeden rescue.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 29
Here are mine, nothing fancy. These are working knives, the "tails" as I like to call them are for easy grabbing with cold wet hands or hanging somewhere so they don't get lost on the ground. My friend loves to do this, I don't have the skill. The Helton knife came as is. I have another one in his hands at the moment awaiting a "tail".

IMG_1368 1.jpg

What kind of lanyards are you guys running on your Para 3s? I tried one on mine and I think it looks like dogshit. Maybe it needs thinner cord? Different knot style? Or maybe the Para 3's just not a lanyard knife? Maybe I'll try one going around the tube rather than through it.

fdVVcKc.jpg
I don't know why the Para 3 wouldn't be a lanyard knife, but I do think you're right about about different knots. Not sure what you've got there--maybe snake knots, the last three not well cinched up together. That space after that first one is good to let the lanyard hang down and I do that on some of mine for that purpose.

Anyway, I don't have my Para 3 anymore. I was dumb enough to show it off to my son on his birthday and he was smart enough to say how much he liked it, so it's his now. I've still got two Para 2s, though, and here's one of them with a box sinnet knot on it. I generally like slack lanyards, but I think this one works fine on the PM2 with a bit of drape and just looped through the knife's generous hole it's easy enough to change out without destroying it.

NutujAP.jpg

Knife's wicked dusty from sitting on my bench today with my saws going.

Always have a hard time keeping 550 tight.
550 can be tough, especially if the cord jacket is stiff. I always try to get cord that's softer and has some slack to it. Hard to anticipate when you're buying online, but I've learned some who has better cord and whose generally sucks.

Something I've learned after mucking up a lot of knots is to give myself lots of cord to work with and not worry about throwing a foot away here and there. Also, to tighten knots, go a little at a time, back and forth, and don't try to cinch up hard with each pull. With a snake knot, say, pull a little on one free end with your opposite thumb against the knot, then switch and take it up bit by bit.

550 can be tough, especially if the cord jacket is stiff. I always try to get cord that's softer and has some slack to it. Hard to anticipate when you're buying online, but I've learned some who has better cord and whose generally sucks. Something I've learned after mucking up a lot of knots is to give myself lots of cord to work with and not worry about throwing a foot away here and there. Also, to tighten knots, go a little at a time, back and forth, and don't try to cinch up hard with each pull. With a snake knot, say, pull a little on one free end with your opposite thumb against the knot, then switch and take it up bit by bit.
The external sheath of paracord can be either polyester or nylon and the internal strands can be either poly or nylon as well, so you can get paracord in four different material combinations. I’ve used poly sheath/nylon strand cord and nylon/nylon. I prefer the latter. It seems to be more pliable and to tie better into tight knots. Have you found any differences in the handling characteristics in cords made of the different component material combinations?

The external sheath of paracord can be either polyester or nylon and the internal strands can be either poly or nylon as well, so you can get paracord in four different material combinations. I’ve used poly sheath/nylon strand cord and nylon/nylon. I prefer the latter. It seems to be more pliable and to tie better into tight knots. Have you found any differences in the handling characteristics in cords made of the different component material combinations?
I hadn't thought of the differences in cord being due to different materials. I'll have to go through what I have--probably 15 or so hanks--and see if there are any marked labels in what bags I have left. Judging from what you've said, Stumpy, I'm guessing that the softer, more pliable cord I favor is likely nylon/nylon which is much easier to form and holds shape better.

Back