The REK daily discussion thread :)

Finally got this regrind knocked out... Been sitting in line for like 5 months!

i-qWmxj5H-X2.jpg

I have a question for the man who does the coolest regrinds I've seen...

what about a parkerized blade? I have a hinderer ranch bowie vintage model, which is parkerized o1.

I'm a fan of o1, and I LOVE how parkerized finishes just sop up oil.

unfortunately, as we all know hinderers are one of the quintessential hard use knives, the blade is ANYTHING but slicey.

I have been meaning to reprofile it, at the least, but that means I'll be taking some of the parkerized finish off.

and something about that scares me. is there anything I should be worried about, or just get on with it?

I have a question for the man who does the coolest regrinds I've seen...

what about a parkerized blade? I have a hinderer ranch bowie vintage model, which is parkerized o1.

I'm a fan of o1, and I LOVE how parkerized finishes just sop up oil.

unfortunately, as we all know hinderers are one of the quintessential hard use knives, the blade is ANYTHING but slicey.

I have been meaning to reprofile it, at the least, but that means I'll be taking some of the parkerized finish off.

and something about that scares me. is there anything I should be worried about, or just get on with it?
If you're just talking about reprofiling the edge then I'd get on with it! No sense in having a blade that doesn't cut well haha

yeah, I guess I should

taking what looks like a 50-60* inclusive down to 25-30* is going to ending up removing some of the finish behind the edge...

but I guess that's what it takes :rolleyes:

have you ever parkerized anything? this blade would be a perfect candidate for your work, especially if it could be re-parkerized

did I mention I like parkerized blades?! :eek:

yeah, I guess I should

taking what looks like a 50-60* inclusive down to 25-30* is going to ending up removing some of the finish behind the edge...

but I guess that's what it takes :rolleyes:

have you ever parkerized anything? this blade would be a perfect candidate for your work, especially if it could be re-parkerized

did I mention I like parkerized blades?! :eek:

Yeah when you reprofile it will remove some metal to move the 'shoulders' back further towards the spine, that is true. But if you want it to cut well then that's what it will take!

Nope never parkerized anything, I think DLC is more durable and so have never had the need but it would be interesting to compare.

Yeah when you reprofile it will remove some metal to move the 'shoulders' back further towards the spine, that is true. But if you want it to cut well then that's what it will take!

Nope never parkerized anything, I think DLC is more durable and so have never had the need but it would be interesting to compare.

DLC is way to go!! Clear anodizing is 2nd best option.

I'm just a sentimental young fool - I just have this terribly nostalgic fondness for parkerized finishes on the "old" steels like o1

would you be willing to look into that process if you were to someday reprofile my hinderer ranch into a slicer?

cause then I'd be able to use it more! :)

I have my busse Bushwhacker, MSW and A1pro and AXES AXES AXES for when I need to destroy something ;)

but I also figure you're pretty busy with all your projects REK, so I don't want to impose

it would be cool if they someday figured out a way to hard anodize steel, but I'm not holding my breath, cause based on my understand with trying to anodize steel and all, the physics/chemistry just doesn't make sense

Back