The Traveling Spyderco Delica. . .

Got home from work today to find Cam had arrived. I'll do my best to post pictures and be a good new england host. I was surprised to find that Cam arrived with postcards from all his previous trips so I'll make sure I send him along in a few weeks with some New England something. He's seen some serious use but I think it gives him some great character.
First of many pictures:
5bW9dHi.jpg

R9o5DZz.jpg

2pnAfX6.jpg

Great to see Cam in action! I’m looking forward to his New England adventures!

I'm willing to bet in the next few weeks there will be some chowder. Not much excitement today, Cam went for a walk with my dogs and helped with some food prep.
8cvUw9V.jpg

8SW8RnQ.jpg

Cam went for a (first?) motorcycle ride today with my wife and I. Its taken me 10 years to convince my wife to ride with me but she's finally consented and actually seems to like it!
I tried to get her to take a picture while we were moving but she's still too scared to do anything other than hang on with both hands.

OV6Bgy1.jpg

Are you a rider uxo? Not many recognize my bike but those who have them are very enthusiastic about them. Mines a 79, second year of production for the CX. It used to be maroon but it’s been repainted several times now.

Cam visited some local history today with my dogs. New England is full of leftovers from the colonists and the native americans before them. A lot of the local back roads where I live actually started as native american trails that the colonists used and eventually widened into actual roads. The road I live on is one of these, it's been a trail since before colonists moved here and it's been a road since at least the early 1800's.

Cam and my dogs visited a place called Mendon town forest , it was the home of a family called the Tafts. They were one of the first "big business" families in the area and they owned and worked a granite quarry and farm. The leftover remnants of their lives include a very large stone wall that historians still can't explain. If you've ever been to new england, especially CT, RI, and MA there are stone walls everywhere. Most are only a single row of large stones about 3 or 4 feet tall but this wall is nearly 5 feet wide and at least 6 feet tall.
fADeQdD.jpg

Next is Tower road. It was build in the early 1800's and is actually still considered a "town road" today. It's obviously not maintained by the town but it's an actual public roadway and you are legally allowed to drive on it. I have no idea what happens if 2 people are on it at the same time, there's zero space to turn around so somebody'll have to back up.

685W3eQ.jpg

Next Cam visited the foundation of the Taft's house. It's hard to tell in the picture but it was a fairly large home, especially for early 1800's. There's actually a fork right above Cam in the picture.
yZ62kLU.jpg

Near their house were some other "outbuildings" that are much smaller. Barns maybe?
NwThmPZ.jpg

Last stop was "Anchor Rock", sort of a colonist's graffiti. It's faded and hard to read but the Taft's carved initials and a couple symbols into a large exposed rock. There are 2 different anchor pictures, the initials of a Taft and the date they carved them (april 29th, 1876) My small black dog is standing on the bottom of the anchor, my boot's dog is at the top.

sV3vUSn.jpg

TJIG9Qu.jpg

6rxPFn5.jpg

There are a couple well's in the area that have been capped off so nobody falls in them. This one is the most obvious, the others have gotten overgrown and are hard to see from the main trail.
rqgBr6f.jpg

That's it for Cam today and he's got a full week of working but I'll try to keep him busy and post when I have time.

Interesting stuff kingston! Cam's a lucky knife for being able to visit NE. I'd love to visit that part of the country one of these days.

Ohio resident here, I'd be up for taking him next. I'll send you an email tomorrow MMAR. I've been thinking about a combo edge Spydie, hopefully Cam makes it over this way!

Busy week at work and didn't have time to post. This week cam cut a bunch of cardboard.
2Z1VCdC.jpg

Cam went for a hike on the "tri state trail". It starts at an old railroad bed that runs from Worcester (pronounced Wooster) and goes almost to Providence RI. This is near the site of the only 4 train crash ever in the US. I don't know much more than that, but from what little I've read it was in the late 1800's when it happened.
78NAe8n.jpg

It's a decent hike, about 2 miles and gains about 500 feet in elevation. At the top of a very large hill there is the tri-state marker. Cam was in RI, CT, and MA all at the same time. It's pretty impressive thinking about the work it took to plant this marker, it's about 5 feet above ground and I've read the marker is 9 ft from end to end. So they had to dig a hole 4 feet deep in some extremely hard, rocky soil and had the somehow carry that massive marker all the way up that hill. Pretty impressive IMO.
PaXX386.jpg

BqqkB8G.jpg

kzKfUqM.jpg

Finally back at home a little food prep work.
psNanQw.jpg

Overall Cam has definitely changed my view on several things. I was never a fan of serrated blades but Cam's has come in useful a few times this week. Cutting some rope the serrated section helped a lot. Also helped cut some tags from my wife's shirts with the serrated edge.

I never really liked lanyards but I've grown to appreciate having it here. Makes pulling it from the pocket much easier.

I also never much liked lock backs but I have grown to really like this one.

I've enjoyed hosting Cam but if other's would like some time with him I'll pass him on anytime.

Three states at once.
Walking around with the dogs.

Nice adventure.

Here's Cam's next adventure, took him to see the Atlantic Ocean. This was at a place called Black Point in Narragansett RI. Most of our beaches here are basically just rocks down to the water, not much sand unless you go up to the Cape in MA. I've really liked having Cam but I just got my Brouwer in the mail so I'm ready for Cam to move on to a new adventure. It's definitely made me ready to buy a delica though, I'm definitely going to look at getting one of Boomer52's modified ones next.

Pictures of Cam at the "beach":

01odFMM.jpg

T12s4Rt.jpg

It hasn't been all fun for Cam, he's helped me do lots of odd jobs around the house. The most delicate job he's helped with was opening a new mattress. I've never done a "mail order" mattress before and it was shrink wrapped and wound up in plastic. Very difficult and also nerve wracking slicing the plastic off and trying not to slice into my brand new mattress.

fiDs2NP.jpg

I'm waiting to hear from the OP where to send Cam next. I got a new knife and them started carrying my pm2 so cams been waiting to go to his next adventure.

Back