The unofficial, non binding, carries no weight, 2020 forum knife possibility discussion thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Elgatodeacero, Jan 11, 2020.

1. cbr1000

cbr1000

Jan 31, 2013
    I paid $155 for Waynorth 2 blade in ebony 86 from a dealer a few weeks ago. I paid $130 for Northwoods 86 single blade in synthetic yesterday.

I venture a guess that a Northwoods forum knife can be had within the same price range as the last TC forum knife.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
  2. KellyGlanzer

KellyGlanzer Gold Member Gold Member

May 4, 2005
    is this fear really why we can't have nice things? can we please stop worrying about flippers? Ban them if you will, no problem i agree! But lets not change our desires and behaviours because of the 1% of losers that do this. we are just punishing ourselves if we do that.
    Honestly with the incredible service and the best made production traditional on the planet why would we not consider GEC for our annual knife this year? no one else even comes close to the quality! pic just because ;)

82048042_445644776316042_7096340400348069888_n.jpg

Mayonardo, abbydaddy, rbeggs and 25 others like this.
  3. Robot Mania Fu

Robot Mania Fu

Jul 21, 2007
    I agree 100%. There will always be people who will try to exploit limited runs of anything if they think they can make money. You can't let that sway your decision in my opinion.

4. Ramrodmb

Ramrodmb

Jun 9, 2010
    Agreed. I don't let the few that do rule my every thought and spoil my day.:thumbsup:

And yes, it is known, no one else even comes close to GEC. :D

Mayonardo, bbfish, meako and 4 others like this.
  5. L.H.S

L.H.S Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 1, 2013
    I guess I should have read all 12 pages :rolleyes:

Like I said, Jay is a great seeming guy. I have no problem with how Northwoods is done, as some here seem to. I just didn't think it'd fit within the brand.

I know Northwoods knives have been forum knives in the past but Northwoods was a different setup then and the forum knife was a different process and amount.

meako likes this.
  6. MRpink

MRpink

Sep 17, 2007
    Exactly :thumbsup:

KellyGlanzer likes this.
  7. hornetguy

hornetguy Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2015
    aaaaaaaand we're back to the #35 cattleman...... again FTW! :D

meako and cbr1000 like this.
  8. Pàdruig

Pàdruig Live and Let Die Platinum Member

Dec 1, 2016
    4 minute window might be a bit generous. ;)

I think the concern about flippers is but a small factor amidst the GEC detractors, albeit one with merit. Still though, it isn't something that I would wish to be a determining factor in our choice of a manufacturer.

I guess my questions pertain to the folks who adopt a "anything but GEC" or "if it's a GEC, count me out" sentiment. I find it curious. Personally, I will buy whatever knife is decided on - even if it were to be a Taylor-Schrade Lady Leg. It is the process I value and the "coming together" aspect of selecting a forum knife every year that appeals to me. Be it a GEC, Buck, Opinel, SAK, or whatever, I'm in.

If it is a cost factor, then I can certainly be understanding. If it is simply a rigid mindset behind not wanting to be "one with the supposed fanboyism", then I become far less understanding. The latter is just pure sentiment with little regard to the qualities that make a potentially higher priced knife worth it. The same criticism that is lathered on GEC fans can be equally applied to those who favor Buck, for example, and I find it all to be rather unnecessary.

We are all here because we like knives and we should feel fortunate that we have the choices that we do have, despite how limited they appear to be.

9. Eli Chaps

Eli Chaps Basic Member Basic Member

Apr 20, 2018
    For me it's the steel. I have no desire to have 1095 in my pocket knife. I know many, many folks do, but I prefer stainless. So that leaves me out of the GEC loop. I agree they look really nice but they just don't work for me. Nothing at all against the company or the many fans. More power to both.

Pomsbz, Shurke, Will Power and 4 others like this.
  10. Jarhead Greasemonkey

Jarhead Greasemonkey Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 4, 2015
    [​IMG]

11. cbr1000

cbr1000

Jan 31, 2013
    Lol, start the polls

meako likes this.
  12. SteveC

SteveC Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 13, 2017

Yes !

meako likes this.
  13. confucius37

confucius37 Gold Member Gold Member

May 18, 2008
    Not sure if this has been mentioned, but how about bringing back the #68 White Owl?

preferably single spring with a clip and pen (or coping) blade with steel liners and bolsters!!!

maybe I’m just reminiscing on the one that got away for me :(

I’ll never forgive myself for letting this one go

[​IMG]

rbeggs, blademan 13, JohnDF and 6 others like this.
  14. hornetguy

hornetguy Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2015
    GEC has made models with stainless blades... I suppose it's possible to get them to do it again?
    A #35 cattleman with CPM154 blades! That's the ticket! :D :thumbsup:

15. Onearmbladenut

Onearmbladenut Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 19, 2018
    CASE XX BEER BELLY knife. CASE XX sow-belly pattern "Zulu' type spear blade with a beer cap opener And "Blade Forums 2020" etching with a "BEER BELLY" shield ! Osage Orange wood scales !

16. PirateSeulb

PirateSeulb Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 6, 2017
    I think that the $92 was with the optional sheath which was a $8-$10 add-on so let’s call it $85 for the knife.

I have seen some nice patterns listed I know for me these are some patterns I want to add to my collection.

Small Sunfish/Elephant Toe
    Doctors w/ spatula blade
    Peanut
    Whittler

There are more some wishes are more about blade/tool combinations than the pattern they are put into.

Hale Storm likes this.
  17. TX Traditional

TX Traditional

Feb 7, 2019
    In order of preference...
    GEC improved mini trapper
    GEC 35 scout with blue jigged bone
    GEC 35 cattleman
    GEC 68 white owl

meako likes this.
  18. jakemex

jakemex

Oct 19, 2011
    Knife company “X” vs GEC for the Forum 2020 knife...
    Like the classic battle of words between Ford n Chevy aficionados in times past.

19. meako

meako Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 4, 2006
    I know I've penned many different analogical versions of the creation process of the BF trad forum knife over the years....and found myself to be most amusing...We've had Frankenstein, The Romans, Adventures on the High Seas...that was a beauty where we went in against the bucckaneers from the Buck sub forum and marauded the prized 2018 Buck knife.....but I still cant figure out...how we get from the "i want a purple ramshorn queen country cousin or else I'm not playing!" phase to a plan with polls and people willing to take the helm....One could almost call it an immaculate conception....one minute nothing in concrete...nek minute staring down the barrel of real choices.
    Its a crazy old world.

btb01, abbydaddy, LizaMari and 3 others like this.
  20. Prester John

Prester John Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2018
    A bizarro world....

meako likes this.