The unofficial, non binding, carries no weight, 2020 forum knife possibility discussion thread

I paid $155 for Waynorth 2 blade in ebony 86 from a dealer a few weeks ago. I paid $130 for Northwoods 86 single blade in synthetic yesterday.

I venture a guess that a Northwoods forum knife can be had within the same price range as the last TC forum knife.

Last edited:
folks here who fear a GEC SFO getting flipped
is this fear really why we can't have nice things? can we please stop worrying about flippers? Ban them if you will, no problem i agree! But lets not change our desires and behaviours because of the 1% of losers that do this. we are just punishing ourselves if we do that.
Honestly with the incredible service and the best made production traditional on the planet why would we not consider GEC for our annual knife this year? no one else even comes close to the quality! pic just because ;)

82048042_445644776316042_7096340400348069888_n.jpg

is this fear really why we can't have nice things? can we please stop worrying about flippers? Ban them if you will, no problem i agree! But lets not change our desires and behaviours because of the 1% of losers that do this. we are just punishing ourselves if we do that.
Honestly with the incredible service and the best made production traditional on the planet why would we not consider GEC for our annual knife this year? no one else even comes close to the quality! pic just because ;)

I agree 100%. There will always be people who will try to exploit limited runs of anything if they think they can make money. You can't let that sway your decision in my opinion.

View attachment 1266337
Agreed. I don't let the few that do rule my every thought and spoil my day.:thumbsup:

And yes, it is known, no one else even comes close to GEC. :D

There has been a Northwoods forum knife before. It is not unprecedented. The Northwoods brand has come along way since then, but alot of that success can be traced back to the support by BF members. Once upon a time Derrick was very active here.

There is a comment in this thread from him.

I guess I should have read all 12 pages :rolleyes:

Like I said, Jay is a great seeming guy. I have no problem with how Northwoods is done, as some here seem to. I just didn't think it'd fit within the brand.

I know Northwoods knives have been forum knives in the past but Northwoods was a different setup then and the forum knife was a different process and amount.

View attachment 1266337

Exactly :thumbsup:

if the 2020 knife is a Northwoods, I wont buy one unless it is only available for purchase during a 4 minute window in the middle of the day on a weekday.

4 minute window might be a bit generous. ;)

View attachment 1266337

I think the concern about flippers is but a small factor amidst the GEC detractors, albeit one with merit. Still though, it isn't something that I would wish to be a determining factor in our choice of a manufacturer.

I guess my questions pertain to the folks who adopt a "anything but GEC" or "if it's a GEC, count me out" sentiment. I find it curious. Personally, I will buy whatever knife is decided on - even if it were to be a Taylor-Schrade Lady Leg. It is the process I value and the "coming together" aspect of selecting a forum knife every year that appeals to me. Be it a GEC, Buck, Opinel, SAK, or whatever, I'm in.

If it is a cost factor, then I can certainly be understanding. If it is simply a rigid mindset behind not wanting to be "one with the supposed fanboyism", then I become far less understanding. The latter is just pure sentiment with little regard to the qualities that make a potentially higher priced knife worth it. The same criticism that is lathered on GEC fans can be equally applied to those who favor Buck, for example, and I find it all to be rather unnecessary.

We are all here because we like knives and we should feel fortunate that we have the choices that we do have, despite how limited they appear to be.

I guess my questions pertain to the folks who adopt a "anything but GEC" or "if it's a GEC, count me out" sentiment. I find it curious. Personally, I will buy whatever knife is decided on - even if it were to be a Taylor-Schrade Lady Leg. It is the process I value and the "coming together" aspect of selecting a forum knife every year that appeals to me. Be it a GEC, Buck, Opinel, SAK, or whatever, I'm in.

If it is a cost factor, then I can certainly be understanding. If it is simply a rigid mindset behind not wanting to be "one with the supposed fanboyism", then I become far less understanding. The latter is just pure sentiment with little regard to the qualities that make a potentially higher priced knife worth it. The same criticism that is lathered on GEC fans can be equally applied to those who favor Buck, for example, and I find it all to be rather unnecessary.

We are all here because we like knives and we should feel fortunate that we have the choices that we do have, despite how limited they appear to be.

For me it's the steel. I have no desire to have 1095 in my pocket knife. I know many, many folks do, but I prefer stainless. So that leaves me out of the GEC loop. I agree they look really nice but they just don't work for me. Nothing at all against the company or the many fans. More power to both.

even if it were to be a Taylor-Schrade Lady Leg.

R8yOdlf.gif

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but how about bringing back the #68 White Owl?

preferably single spring with a clip and pen (or coping) blade with steel liners and bolsters!!!

maybe I’m just reminiscing on the one that got away for me :(

I’ll never forgive myself for letting this one go

jmwKwbJ.jpg

For me it's the steel. I have no desire to have 1095 in my pocket knife. I know many, many folks do, but I prefer stainless. So that leaves me out of the GEC loop. I agree they look really nice but they just don't work for me. Nothing at all against the company or the many fans. More power to both.
GEC has made models with stainless blades... I suppose it's possible to get them to do it again?
A #35 cattleman with CPM154 blades! That's the ticket! :D :thumbsup:

Your guess is quite a ways off.:rolleyes:
The 2019 BF knife was $92. Not far from the $71 Buck. Maybe they are not as far out of reach as you want to think.
I think that the $92 was with the optional sheath which was a $8-$10 add-on so let’s call it $85 for the knife.

I have seen some nice patterns listed I know for me these are some patterns I want to add to my collection.

Small Sunfish/Elephant Toe
Doctors w/ spatula blade
Peanut
Whittler

There are more some wishes are more about blade/tool combinations than the pattern they are put into.

In order of preference...
GEC improved mini trapper
GEC 35 scout with blue jigged bone
GEC 35 cattleman
GEC 68 white owl

Knife company “X” vs GEC for the Forum 2020 knife...
Like the classic battle of words between Ford n Chevy aficionados in times past.

I know I've penned many different analogical versions of the creation process of the BF trad forum knife over the years....and found myself to be most amusing...We've had Frankenstein, The Romans, Adventures on the High Seas...that was a beauty where we went in against the bucckaneers from the Buck sub forum and marauded the prized 2018 Buck knife.....but I still cant figure out...how we get from the "i want a purple ramshorn queen country cousin or else I'm not playing!" phase to a plan with polls and people willing to take the helm....One could almost call it an immaculate conception....one minute nothing in concrete...nek minute staring down the barrel of real choices.
Its a crazy old world.

I know I've penned many different analogical versions of the creation process of the BF trad forum knife over the years....and found myself to be most amusing...We've had Frankenstein, The Romans, Adventures on the High Seas...that was a beauty where we went in against the bucckaneers from the Buck sub forum and marauded the prized 2018 Buck knife.....but I still cant figure out...how we get from the "i want a purple ramshorn queen country cousin or else I'm not playing!" phase to a plan with polls and people willing to take the helm....One could almost call it an immaculate conception....one minute nothing in concrete...nek minute staring down the barrel of real choices.
Its a crazy old world.
A bizarro world....

Back