The unofficial, non binding, carries no weight, 2020 forum knife possibility discussion thread

I’ve got it figured out!! A Moose or Stockman pattern with a black and red plaid micarta. There might only be two orders placed, but I’d take both of them:) The covers would definitely be like no other ever done. Here’s a photo of a knife, just for size comparison for the plaid pattern:D

FE45-EF0-D-CD16-4-BD5-8956-FD43-DE49-FB32.jpg

r8shell r8shell , my how you’ve grown, I mean knife wise. I remember when you first joined, so full of questions and excitement about learning everything you could about knives, becoming a fixture and respected member, especially in the traditional forums. :) I’ve enjoyed/enjoy everything you bring to the community.

As for the 2020 noncommittal unofficial forum knife? I’ve been here a long time and have gone through every year’s vetting process to get to the final outcome. I’ve been pushing for a fixed blade Bird & Trout but you no avail. We came close one year but the fixed blade contingent was beat by a generous margin anyway.

I’m gonna have R8shell be my proxy vote for this years knife. Whatever she votes just echo with my vote, (except on the sparkly covers, unless they’re done in that Xmas tree glitter that Case uses on their Xmas knives).

As for my advice goin’ forward in pickin’ a knife, even takin’ into consideration that this is an official unofficial, noncommittal thread about the possibility of what we’d like on, as or part of a nonsanctioned officially unofficial knife for 2020.

If you want the knife you want to be chosen as this years nonknife pattern, be flexible and learn to read the crowd. The better you read the community and what their trends are, (good luck with that ;) ) the more aligned with the actual group want you get, the more likely you’ll be to get exactly what you want.

See for me, I love all the forum knives, that’s why I have the whole set. Unfortunately I’m a user and couldn’t afford a full set of mint in tube/box forum knives and users so all my forum knives show varying degrees of use and pocket wear.

Just on the off chance a fixed blade gets seriously considered, B&T with stacked leather with smooth bone and micarta spacers.

Here’s a quick pic of the whole collection. It may help to decide what should be next. At least you’ll have an idea of what’s been done in the past 14 years. (That’s right, 14 years of forum knives not including the “Uncle Henry’s Lost Souls” Schrade we had made in 2005, a year after Schrade went bankrupt.)

8sKxto8h.jpg

If your interested I started a “History of the Traditional Forum’s knives 2006-2019” just click the previous highlighted text to read some interesting history on the forum knife. Pic heavy with lots of links. (Keep in mind this is a work in progress so bear with me. :) )
Gosh, @T. Erdelyi yer gonna make me blush! :oops:
:D So you want a Glitter Gold French Kate with banana shield? You got it. :p:confused:

Thanks for posting your collection of the "full set." It's nice to see and puts things in context. As much as I've been pushing for the PunchNut, I also think a #14 small Harness Jack would be great. The only drawback is if the next run is a sheepfoot version, the last three forum knives have had sheepfoots. Unless GEC would do ours with a clip or spear, I don't see it winning the polls. I do think we're due for a small sized two blade jack of some sort. Or a bird & trout fixed. :cool::thumbsup:

I do think we're due for a small sized two blade jack of some sort. Or a bird & trout fixed. :cool::thumbsup:
I try to keep my mouth shut when it comes to the Forum knife wish list discussions. I really have no more say in the choice then anyone else.
Whatever is decided is OK by me, but I really think r8shell has a good idea!

Is there such a thing as a single blade wharncliff peanut in appaloosa bone handles? mmmmm

TC Barlow, GEC #15, Elephant Ivory Scales, Squiggly Long Pull, on a Spearpoint, with an extra long and pronounced swedge.

I’ve got it figured out!! A Moose or Stockman pattern with a black and red plaid micarta. There might only be two orders placed, but I’d take both of them:) The covers would definitely be like no other ever done. Here’s a photo of a knife, just for size comparison for the plaid pattern:D

FE45-EF0-D-CD16-4-BD5-8956-FD43-DE49-FB32.jpg
Canal street recently did a boys knife in red flannel, so they called it. Looks like red and black carbon fiber but it might be what you are looking for cover wise.

meako meako , what makes it possibly the most unlikely idea "evvah"? I think it would look great with my factory elephant ivory Northwoods.

xhB9bmu.png

I can't speak for him, but only assume. GEC quit using elephant ivory. They offer mammoth ivory still. Since you requested a material that GEC doesn't offer it makes it very unlikely to become a forum knife. He may also be referring to the $100 self imposed price limit. So, between the two it makes it darn near impossible to be an option in my opinion. Sounds good though, this is mainly a wish thread anyway :thumbsup:

We need a Northwoods forum knife. Not going to happen unless anyone interested in that speaks up.

Last year was a Sabre ground, so I assume IF you go with Northwoods it will be one again :rolleyes:
The whole point about Northwoods, if it is actually a point;) is limited release numbers, exotic/bizarre scales and all sold out in a nano second:D Not really the Forum Knife ethos.

Plus, they're made by GEC anyway and this would need special rescheduling of their production. So I think it's rather unlikely as a viable project. But full steam ahead if you can get it done, there was plenty of full steam ahead on the Titanic too;)

OK my choice of Northwoods? 25 Barlow, SPEAR, Smooth Ivory Bone-why not add saw cut to it as well- never seen Sawcut natural or Ivory Bone before could be killer!

I can't speak for him, but only assume. GEC quit using elephant ivory. They offer mammoth ivory still. Since you requested a material that GEC doesn't offer it makes it very unlikely to become a forum knife. He may also be referring to the $100 self imposed price limit. So, between the two it makes it darn near impossible to be an option in my opinion. Sounds good though, this is mainly a wish thread anyway :thumbsup:

"...you must also comply with any relevant state laws and all imports and exports must be accompanied by appropriate CITES documents and meet other U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service (Service) import/export requirements." https://www.fws.gov/international/travel-and-trade/ivory-ban-questions-and-answers.html

That won't be difficult or expensive ...

Back