The unofficial, non binding, carries no weight, 2020 forum knife possibility discussion thread

Some good ideas being aired :thumbsup:

If GEC were chosen again, another rarer type of knife that could well be something of interest the 38 frame comes to mind. Both @waynorth and @wlfryjr put out superb SFOs of the Farmer's Jack but there were simpler more basic versions too. Here, Tidioute in Camel-bone with Pruner/ Spey-budding. But the frame could house other blades with ease e.g. Clip or Spear/ Pen in penknife type single-spring or a Coping blade or Small Clip as secondary etc. Something unusual and different but a surprisingly practical knife, I have two different ones that get a lot of use.

hGBvpvN.jpg

Some good ideas being aired :thumbsup:

If GEC were chosen again, another rarer type of knife that could well be something of interest the 38 frame comes to mind. Both @waynorth and @wlfryjr put out superb SFOs of the Farmer's Jack but there were simpler more basic versions too. Here, Tidioute in Camel-bone with Pruner/ Spey-budding. But the frame could house other blades with ease e.g. Clip or Spear/ Pen in penknife type single-spring or a Coping blade or Small Clip as secondary etc. Something unusual and different but a surprisingly practical knife, I have two different ones that get a lot of use.

hGBvpvN.jpg
I imagine a wharncliffe with a small clip secondary would be a fantastic whittler.
I'm not certain that Hess is an option. Check this thread from General Forum:
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/what-happened-to-hess-knifeworks.1705394/

Check Mike Latham's comments in post #7. It doesn't sound like a large order such as ours would be feasible.
I'm sorry to hear that.
They sure make a nice knife.
HoMNirl.jpg

Ok I'm leaning towards r8shell r8shell idea of the punchnut, now the question is who could make it happen? A punch stockman would be cool as well:thumbsup:
Ha! I'm an internet "influencer" :D
A peanut would be great, but if GEC is planning a run of #14s this year, a mini Harness Jack would be pretty fine, too.

Pity about Hess being only small scale producer then:thumbsdown: If it's fixed it'll have to be Buck, do they do anything small??

If GEC are running the 14 again, you can reverse the frame and make a Sleeveboard out of it, say Spear/Coping or small Clip.:cool:

Pity about Hess being only small scale producer then:thumbsdown: If it's fixed it'll have to be Buck, do they do anything small??

If GEC are running the 14 again, you can reverse the frame and make a Sleeveboard out of it, say Spear/Coping or small Clip.:cool:
The narrow end of a 14 isn't really rounded like on a sleeveboard, though.

Hope you guys come up with something really nice, that a manufacturer will produce, at a reasonable price, and that someone can manage the logistics of ordering and shipping.

I always enjoy watching the process unfold, warts and all. My sole contribution is usually to vote, when there are things needing voting on, and buying the final product, if what results from the process is something I want to own.

The narrow end of a 14 isn't really rounded like on a sleeveboard, though.

To an extent, but since on a 14 it's the Master pivot/bolster it could be rounded very easily with a bit of machining.

Shame about the Hess option being unlikely though.

Thanks, Will

Lots of good ideas with the standouts for me;
-303 identical to the BF301 in elk
-3-4 blade scout built on the GEC 35
-GEC mini- trapper

and one more suggestion;
-GEC 53 opposite ender with spear main and punch secondary (punch - either the same as on 66 or 35 Harness Jacks)

edit; almost forgot another standout that deserves serious consideration
- the Case single blade sowbelly

Let me know when it's time to vote on one of these five ideas!;)

Last edited:
Back