The unofficial, non binding, carries no weight, 2020 forum knife possibility discussion thread

gaj999 gaj999 I understand your view on this, but it is also very important that everyone continue to look to the future and do what we can to carry on with life.

It is only March, and there are 9 months left in 2020... I wouldn’t bet against the USA, the rest of humanity or God.

Don’t give up hope on a forum knife, or on anything else.

And Buck has not shut down...........

The 2020 knife may be the most memorable one ever.

I hate to be a pessimist, but if I had to put money down, I'd bet that it isn't going to happen this year because of the new bug going around. It looks like it won't be going away here in the Northern hemisphere when it gets warm, since it's rampaging through Australia and Brazil right now. Time to buckle up.

Not that long ago the forum knife conversation didn't pop up until the last half of the year. In my opinion we have more than enough time. In time GEC will go back to work doing their thing kicking out great products... hopefully including the 2020 forum knife.

All this talk of the 2020 forum knife not happening sure does suck. This is the first year I'd be able to get one as I'm fairly new to the hobby and missed the 2019.

Helllloooo - it's time for ole Ed to pipe up. I don't think it's realistic for Bill Howard to take the time to make us a knife this year. What with this closure putting him behind in his regular schedule, I just don't see where he'd have to time to work us in.

I'd be happy with another Buck knife. I thought they did a great job with our 2018 knife. Sure there were a few glitches but Buck makes a heck of a knife. Fixed blade or no, they'd do us right.

That's all from me for now folks.

Helllloooo - it's time for ole Ed to pipe up. I don't think it's realistic for Bill Howard to take the time to make us a knife this year. What with this closure putting him behind in his regular schedule, I just don't see where he'd have to time to work us in.
Great point but it all depends on what they had planned for this year. Based on the last couple years production numbers, they probably won't have much wiggle room. But you never know, they may be willing to work a little overtime to get back on track after having downtime. Once they are setup for a pattern, it seems that gang can whip up 100 knives in a matter of hours.

C'est la vie, boyos :D

jR4Ymx.jpg

well.... it is what it is. :cool:

Great point but it all depends on what they had planned for this year. Based on the last couple years production numbers, they probably won't have much wiggle room. But you never know, they may be willing to work a little overtime to get back on track after having downtime. Once they are setup for a pattern, it seems that gang can whip up 100 knives in a matter of hours.

At this time, maybe they could do up a run of Pocket Carvers with the Micarta, but add the "Pocket Carver" shield back onto it. It'd be unique, and a quick turnaround using (possibly) available parts and materials. I'm sure that's not the most popular idea, but it's just an idea.

At this time, maybe they could do up a run of Pocket Carvers with the Micarta, but add the "Pocket Carver" shield back onto it. It'd be unique, and a quick turnaround using (possibly) available parts and materials. I'm sure that's not the most popular idea, but it's just an idea.
I'd imagine all the blades are done and back from heat treating for the 62s. And that would be a crazy short time for us to get our crap together. I love the idea and the Carver but the 23 or more probable whatever comes after that would be more feasible.
Not speaking with any more knowledge than anyone else just my feelings on it.

I think if we are seriously serious in all seriousness...like for real...if we actually want a 2020 ....I know I do....we should get an order in pronto....Helloooo up therrre? ....
A to support the economy.
B so that it gets off the starting line ...it may not get started until next year.
Im happy to pay up front and put my money where my mouth is
( No! I do not own such an incredible pile of cash as that would take ) ...some very good ideas are coming about...
Not much more to say in this thread really is there ...unless we carry on with more and more wishing for something that is unachievable at this time.
What Kind of Porch are we ..if a microscopic pest can get in our way? ( thats a general question directed at the human race).
Cheers.
Let me know.

I was thinking along the same line. A pattern that's already in their schedule, but materials exclusive to the forum. We would get a forum knife and they would sell more knives without having to go too far out of the way to get it to us. That sounds like a win-win to me...

Lot of uncertainties yes, GEC's schedule might not have room for a Forum Knife what with this shutdown (which might go on longer:poop:) but equally, demand for forthcoming models might well be reduced due to the knock on effects of the shutdowns on all consumers:( Which should place a Forum Knife in a strongish position as demand is usually solid.

Agree with meako meako resolve is needed and we could make a paper/theoretical commitment to Buck or GEC.

Smaller Buck Fixed? Bird&Trout type?

Existing pattern GEC with the BF stamp and other distinct features suggested by them?

A shadow micarta 62 would be really nice, I'd prefer the 2 blade model rather than the 3 blade carver and it's easier to make but it would still be unique to BF plus we've not had a Farm & Field model from them before:thumbsup:

Could the Powers ask what GEC or Buck can make for us in these exceptional times please? Clearly, we can't have all the endless polls and bickering,;) the companies should just say what they can do in this situation and we either accept or refuse, that way we might GET a Forum Knife, and a good job it will be:cool:

Thanks, Will

I'm in for a F&F 62 in red/black micarta with the same blade combo as on the Buck and the Canal Street BFKs. Not too expensive and (I suppose) easy to assemble for GEC.
Meanwhile I wish to the GEC team to be prudent and come back even stronger when all is over.

It's not just that GEC is shut down right now. Their steel supplier (Cyclops Steel) is also shut down. And their subcontractors (Peters Heat Treat, etc.) are shut down. The cardboard tube supply company is shut down. It's going to take time to get the ball rolling again with all these businesses closed.

It's not just that GEC is shut down right now. Their steel supplier (Cyclops Steel) is also shut down. And their subcontractors (Peters Heat Treat, etc.) are shut down. The cardboard tube supply company is shut down. It's going to take time to get the ball rolling again with all these businesses closed.

And every one of these businesses faces uncertainties. It's hard to commit to something when you're sitting at the end of such a chain. Buck does more in house, but they still face uncertainty. People don't like making decisions when there's uncertainty, even when the same choice is obvious either way.

Back