The unofficial, non binding, carries no weight, 2021 forum knife possibility discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not complaining about any lack of input Mr Elga. Please read my post more carefully. The concern is that the proposed forum knife from GEC should be discussed, and some people here don’t want to allow discussion to occur and naysay any suggestions. The whole point of this thread is discussion.

The forum knife selection thread used to be an exercise in traditional knife appreciation and the glory of the craftmanship of yesteryear.

RFWYeYB.jpg

ZYDL1f3.jpg

Now, some people just seem to want the forum knife to be as close as possible to a regular run GEC, just so they can get their hands on one. Terrible!

Why bother with choices and discussion at all, if the prevailing view is ‘whatever GEC sends us we will like it and buy two or three?’

The 2019 forum knife is a testament to what can happen if people are prepared to take a shot on something different and special.

zVJfq6R.jpg

Sincerely hope that there is still that appetite!

liqXdLD.jpg

I believe the agreement is that Charlie is driving the bus on this year's knife..... I don't think he'll provide us with a gas station knife.... You know the old saying about too many cooks in the kitchen spoiling the soup?...... I'm sure if Charlie needs our input he'll let us know.....

I am not complaining about any lack of input Mr Elga. Please read my post more carefully. The concern is that the proposed forum knife from GEC should be discussed, and some people here don’t want to allow discussion to occur and naysay any suggestions. The whole point of this thread is discussion.
I must have missed where folks were “not allowing” discussion, and people naysay ideas all the time (that’s one side effect of discussion). I say just do what you are doing—offer your perspective, your reasons, and respond to those who engage with it and ignore the naysayers.

As for having options, I would prefer that to having a knife picked as well. The question this year is: how could we accomplish it? Our European options from last year are out due to Mike’s situation, and a GEC choice is limited by what Bill offers. We could try asking for another Buck special. What do you have in mind?

The forum knife selection thread used to be an exercise in traditional knife appreciation and the glory of the craftmanship of yesteryear.

RFWYeYB.jpg

ZYDL1f3.jpg

Now, some people just seem to want the forum knife to be as close as possible to a regular run GEC, just so they can get their hands on one. Terrible!

Why bother with choices and discussion at all, if the prevailing view is ‘whatever GEC sends us we will like it and buy two or three?’

The 2019 forum knife is a testament to what can happen if people are prepared to take a shot on something different and special.

zVJfq6R.jpg

Sincerely hope that there is still that appetite!

liqXdLD.jpg
Just have to say that lighter wood on your 2019 knife looks stunning!

I believe that most of us thought that there would eventually be a Barlow by GEC that was larger than the 77 , or at least hoped that there would be . We have a POSSIBLITY ???? available to us to get One or More ???? of the First Run 86 Barlows . It is reasonable to believe that GEC is making A Run of 86 Barlows that may have multiple Cover Options that we may be able to get through other channels in a much more hectic manner . I am looking forward to this Blade Forums Knife .

Harry

Unless it's changed recently, I was under the impression that Buck was not doing SFOs or any special runs right now.
So that puts us back at taking what Bill offers, unless someone has an alternative to GEC. If we asked Eric Albers now, he might be able to have a run large enough for 2022.

This is what I miss most. Those who, for whatever reason, never contribute to this forum are sadly becoming the majority of purchasers, which has changed the whole dynamic of this annual event.

I believe that most of us thought that there would eventually be a Barlow by GEC that was larger than the 77 , or at least hoped that there would be . We have a POSSIBLITY ???? available to us to get One or More ???? of the First Run 86 Barlows . It is reasonable to believe that GEC is making A Run of 86 Barlows that may have multiple Cover Options that we may be able to get through other channels in a much more hectic manner . I am looking forward to this Blade Forums Knife .

Harry

Well said Harry.

I must have missed where folks were “not allowing” discussion, and people naysay ideas all the time (that’s one side effect of discussion). I say just do what you are doing—offer your perspective, your reasons, and respond to those who engage with it and ignore the naysayers.

As for having options, I would prefer that to having a knife picked as well. The question this year is: how could we accomplish it? Our European options from last year are out due to Mike’s situation, and a GEC choice is limited by what Bill offers. We could try asking for another Buck special. What do you have in mind?

I don't know a way to sugarcoat it, so I'll just be characteristically blunt (LOL): I'd take this proposed GEC 86 that's designed without a shred of input from me before ANY Buck knife. That's just me.

Charlie and Bill have a long history of designing absolute knockout winners. I'm comfortable that whatever this design ultimately ends up being, it's something that I'll be glad to have in my pocket, that shows a years long appreciation for this community.

So Charlie pulls a rabbit out of his hat and gets GEC to build a SFO for the site but that's not quite good enough for some people?

I'm not sure that if 99% of a member's posts are complaining about how the world has constantly let them down can count as a contribution.

I'm in with the other folks who'll buy a pig in a poke vs. looking a gift horse in the mouth.

So that puts us back at taking what Bill offers, unless someone has an alternative to GEC. If we asked Eric Albers now, he might be able to have a run large enough for 2022.

Agreed. I've stated it before and I'll say it again - I will purchase whatever is decided upon with regards to a forum knife. It's the process and community effort that I enjoy being a part of, despite the heat that gets generated at times. Though our options appear limited, I am sure we will end up with a fine knife.

Unfortunately, in my opinion, I would think that the quickest way to achieve burnout would be for Eric to commit to a forum knife. I admire those who might take on such a task but I certainly do not envy them - that goes for our other volunteers as well (mods, dealers, liaisons, etc.).

Agreed. I've stated it before and I'll say it again - I will purchase whatever is decided upon with regards to a forum knife. It's the process and community effort that I enjoy being a part of, despite the heat that gets generated at times. Though our options appear limited, I am sure we will end up with a fine knife.

Unfortunately, in my opinion, I would think that the quickest way to achieve burnout would be for Eric to commit to a forum knife. I admire those who might take on such a task but I certainly do not envy them - that goes for our other volunteers as well (mods, dealers, liaisons, etc.).

I have to confess, I really wish people would stop trying to volunteer Eric Albers. Eric is a one-man custom maker who makes batches of knives of very high quality and sells them, presumably so he can pay bills, eat a hot meal every night, and continue to have a warm, dry place to sleep every night. The guy is doing all he can do to make those batches he sells in intervals. If he was given an order for, say 500 knives, that would tie up his entire output for months, and further, would mean that he'd be going for all that time without being able to depend on knife sales for income. You'll notice that this has been mentioned several times and he's not responded once that I've seen, know why? He's trying to be polite about it, but come on already (vitriol not meant towards you personally).

@knarfeng
There will be some parameters as to who can purchase this year's knife, how many can be purchased, etc. We've done it in years past. We haven't discussed this year yet. I'm sure we will soon.

I do ask that all the new faces we're seeing take the time to read and follow the guidelines for this sub forum, Guidelines For The "Traditional Folders & Fixed Blades" Sub-Forum.

Let's keep this thread on topic and about the knives please.

I have to confess, I really wish people would stop trying to volunteer Eric Albers. Eric is a one-man custom maker who makes batches of knives of very high quality and sells them, presumably so he can pay bills, eat a hot meal every night, and continue to have a warm, dry place to sleep every night. The guy is doing all he can do to make those batches he sells in intervals. If he was given an order for, say 500 knives, that would tie up his entire output for months, and further, would mean that he'd be going for all that time without being able to depend on knife sales for income. You'll notice that this has been mentioned several times and he's not responded once that I've seen, know why? He's trying to be polite about it, but come on already (vitriol not meant towards you personally).

I agree. I think I recall him mentioning that it did not make good sense for him to take on such a project. If I were a one man shop, making small batches of knives that get increasingly popular by the day, there is no way I'd take on such a large project. I think makers have done this to themselves in the past and it's created a lot of strife when the expectations didn't get met for one reason or another.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back