The upcoming, anticipated, way-too-excited GEC 85's Thread!

85-colliers-jpg.1029039

With the acrylic 85s I have seen so far I liked the ones with a lot of the dark stripes and swirls. Yet this one looks so elegant with almost all light salmon.

These two arrived recently. The Beaver felt lighter than I expected; my only other #85 before these was a jigged bone Northfield, which feels noticeably heavier. I'm quite happy with the look of the Salmon Acrylic on mine, and I like that there's a good bit of variation in the material from knife to knife.

HEwHxCY.jpg

lwagNKI.jpg

cZX9itj.jpg

yBSPeHf.jpg

Adjusted to my liking:thumbsup:
2c4BXq.jpg

ousjUA.jpg

Paul, I meant to tell you in the totin' thread the other day, that looks excellent! I think the EO notch just fits this pattern perfectly. :thumbsup: Now I just have to get up the nerve to try it myself. :confused: :D

These two arrived recently. The Beaver felt lighter than I expected; my only other #85 before these was a jigged bone Northfield, which feels noticeably heavier. I'm quite happy with the look of the Salmon Acrylic on mine, and I like that there's a good bit of variation in the material from knife to knife.

HEwHxCY.jpg

lwagNKI.jpg

cZX9itj.jpg

yBSPeHf.jpg

Paul, I meant to tell you in the totin' thread the other day, that looks excellent! I think the EO notch just fits this pattern perfectly. :thumbsup: Now I just have to get up the nerve to try it myself. :confused: :D
Thanks Barrett, hey ya got two nice one's there, I agree that the Brazilian is light in hand, I love mine, your Salmon is nice as well, I like more black in it like yours:cool: There's different way's to put in the EO. I use a sanding drum on my dremel and go slow. I've done many, but the first one is always worrisome. The hard part is just starting:thumbsup:

Thanks Barrett, hey ya got two nice one's there, I agree that the Brazilian is light in hand, I love mine, your Salmon is nice as well, I like more black in it like yours:cool: There's different way's to put in the EO. I use a sanding drum on my dremel and go slow. I've done many, but the first one is always worrisome. The hard part is just starting:thumbsup:

Thanks, Paul. Somewhere I think I saved instructions from Bob on how he did his. I've just never gotten around to trying it, partly because most of the knives I'd like to have an EO notch on are favorites and would be hard to replace if I messed up. :D

Not much a fan of these Tidioute 85s, mostly due to the chosen covers, but I can appreciate those who are!

I'm eagerly awaiting the Northfield versions. The anticipation is killing me! Gonna be lots of great pics when these are finally in hand!!

I find it really interesting that GEC never posted a pic of the 85 Northfield in buffalo bone under the “finished” page.

I am really looking forward to seeing them here once people get them in hand.

I’m also wondering if the buffalo bone will age by changing color like a lot of the smooth white bone does as it ages.

I'm not sure what gets a knife listed on the "finished" page. Some misses:
  • The 2 blade Cripple Creek micarta and stag 14s recently released are not on the 14 page
  • None of the 2 blade Cripple Creeks are on the 2018 releases page, but all of the single blade SFOs appear to be there (not sure what makes the CC ones different)
  • The jigged brazilian cherry 85 didn't make the 2018 releases page or the 85 page, but the banana and salmon acrylic did
  • There is no pattern page for the 44 gunstock jacks that came out earlier this year
  • And I've noticed similar inconsistencies when I've tried to look up older knives before
I do really and sincerely appreciate how GEC keeps a record of their releases. But I'm with you in that I wish there was a bit more consistency. Also, I'd say it's probably time to standardize the "production schedule" and "production totals" pages -- these guys have heard about Excel, right?! :)

Back