Thoughts on the ZT0308?

For me I’ve had nothing but consistent perfection with fit and finish on every ZT I’ve ever owned and I’ve had many over the years. Of course others mileage may very and with that being said there one of the few knife manufacturers I don’t feel the need to mention pick me out a nice one when buying blind online. I think while your sitting back waiting for owners with them in hand to get there opinions is very wise. When ever a new knife is in production there is always going to be some folks with negativity towards that particular knife and there’s nothing wrong with that even if they don’t own one first hand. I think the weight of there opinion being of more value if they actually have one In hand.
That’s what’s great about our hobby is there’s so many great knives these day to pretty much “almost” satisfy everyone :D

I absolutely agree! So many great knives!

This knife has everything on it that I wanted upgraded from the 300 series. 20CV Steel, Non Assisted, No Recurve on the blade, Handle is not as wide across the face, and it runs on bearings. While I agree I am not a fan of the hole, it is not enough to keep this one out of my pocket. The 300 series sold at $272 so I feel like with the 20CV upgrade the $300 price tag is right in line.

Here are some shots we have taken since they have come in. Hope they help!

$300 for non-DLC coated blades and handles. I wonder how much DLC tiger stripe variants will cost? I'd probably guess around $30 more? I do appreciate the side by side comparison. Purely based on my preferences, in the side by side comparison I like the blade shape of the 0308. But, the rest goes to the 0301 in my eyes.

If it had a thumb opener as well , or instead of the flipper and PB instead ball bearings. I'd be all over it.

Even with the random hole in the handle.
I think the random hole as you say will make it more aerodynamic when shadow slicing :p:D
All kidding a side it’s not the first time cutouts were made in a frame/covers that weren’t functional but more for aesthetics.
Like Whitty mentioned in his video. I also think it will have functionality due to a place for the dirt to get blown out of coming and going.
So it might be a blessing in disguise for some :thumbsup:

I recently got my first 0350 and I like it quite a bit. The one feature I’d change, the lock. I think the 0308 looks fantastic and can’t wait to get my hands on one, probably from the secondary/used market though. ZT has caught a lot of flak from recent releases, which I partially participated in, but this knife seems to go back to their original roots and promise to customers. The fact it was designed in house is encouraging too. I salute them.

When I first saw it I hated it; its grown on me since,seems like a good evolution of the 300 but I don't feel like spending 300 on it, im not so jazzed up about it that I need to have it....

if ZT is working in a non assisted + washers revision of the 0350 Ivan be tempted
But please, don’t drill holes into it :):):):)

I like the 1/2" pivot, I like the look of it and it's not like 1/2" wrenches are a rare commodity.
I know. I don't mind the look either. I was taking a jab at ZT's marketing for the 0308. They were all about "in the field" and it's laughable because I'm pretty sure a flat head is more common than a wrench. I mean, how many of you carry around a wrench on the daily? Most people have some type of flat object that could tighten a basic flat head screw.
The 300 sold for $272 only after ZT started bumping their prices. It was sold for about $180 before that.
I pulled up my invoice from March '09. I paid $236 for my 0302. That's when S30V was still the new kid on the block. 20CV has been around for a bit now. $300 for the 0308 is a little steep. I mean, for a little more we're getting into Chris Reeve and Hinderer territory. I have my fair share of ZT's, but none have come close to the tolerances (no pun intended) of CRK or RHK.

I'm not crapping on ZT. Heck, I have more ZT's than Hinderer's or CRK's. Just observations and my opinion.

Last edited:
I pulled up my invoice from March '09. I paid $236 for my 0302. That's when S30V was still the new kid on the block.

Kershaw had been using that steel for at least 8 years by that point, so not really that new. I think at that point it was becoming the standard choice for upper tier steel.

Yeah true... I guess I meant to say it was the steel to have. So, the cool kid on the block? Kinda like everyone wanting M390/20CV/204P nowadays.

I think the hole looks stupid and the flipper is to short. And yes, I love ZT's. I though the 300's and 200's where great knives the way they came out and should have never been discoutinued in the first place.

I have a 303, and I love it as a heavy duty work knife. Especially after I took out the assisted feature. The 308 seems to be what we have been asking for for some years.

Still, I'm strangely lukewarm to it. I find myself mentally playing "yeah but for just a little more..." game. Oddly enough, I still find the 230 slip joint more of a likely buy that this one.

Maybe instead of that hole that can catch and fill dirt and lint,like Skyhorse mentioned, they shouldve used lucite,lexan or some clear plastic to make a window . that would've been pretty cool and would've kept the gunk out of the pivot.

I like this one! I missed out on the 030X series and regret it, and I dig that they brought back that beefy construction and scale milling.

Nothing wrong with the price point, but it's also in "secondary market Medford" territory and for my money that's where I'd go instead. I'll watch for these to hit the Exchange in a few months, hopefully at ~$200.

I like this one! I missed out on the 030X series and regret it, and I dig that they brought back that beefy construction and scale milling.

Nothing wrong with the price point, but it's also in "secondary market Medford" territory and for my money that's where I'd go instead. I'll watch for these to hit the Exchange in a few months, hopefully at ~$200.

curious as to why Medford over this ZT? I was looking at medfords a few years ago, and haven't since then. Should I be looking at them a bit closer?

curious as to why Medford over this ZT? I was looking at medfords a few years ago, and haven't since then. Should I be looking at them a bit closer?

Not like specifically over this ZT, I just love Medfords -- and I don't think prevailing BF sentiment is with me on that one. ;) Mine are mechanically flawless and a pleasure to use, and Medfords in general have an aesthetic all their own.

IMO they're overpriced at full-boat retail, but getting them for around this price on the secondary market is right where they should be.

Back