Thoughts on the ZT0308?

Now some of you will disagree and even dislike but this is just my opinion: this knife looks ugly and vastly overpriced. I would pick ZT 0200 over it any day of the week.

I like some of the improvements like no assist and blade steel/shape. I dislike the hole in the handle and I think washers would be more in line with the hard use theme. I don't think the price is out of line. I had several iterations of both the 200 and 300. Neither were keepers for me. The 200s I had wouldn't flip and the assist on the 300 was a bad idea for such a knife imo.

The biggest improvement this new 300 series has over the old is dropping the strider name. That alone makes this a win for me.

I likely won't get one in the current color configuration and I'll wait for secondary market pricing.

I like it. Not sure it's high enough on my want list to be able to afford it anytime soon. But since I've been carrying (and still absolutely loving) the 0456 for the last couple years, I'd have no issues with the size and/or weight.

And....it would be fun to pair a 0308 with the 0022. You know, one for plinking, the other for big game. :D

Just pulled mine out of the box a few hours ago and first impressions I love it. Feels good in hand, Fires out hard and fast , no lock stick. Super strong detent but easy to disengage lock bar and blade is dead centered. Appears to be pretty thin behind the edge and should be a great slicer. Blade is razor sharp ! All of the above I’ve found is pretty normal with every ZT I’ve owned.
That being said first impressions this just might be my favorite ZT to date.
My personal opinion is ZT knocked this one out of the park and is worth every cent.
Oh and look at this thing this knife and blade is sexy as Hell !!! Love the TI 3D pattern with match g10 scale. No hot spots and feels perfect in the reverse grip.
8r0Uwox.jpg

sVmP3KQ.jpg

GZVXMEA.jpg

I like that they've dropped the recurve and assisted opening of the 0300 series, and the knife looks really nice. The blade in particular looks like it can actually cut well, which is great to see from ZT. That said, a couple things give me pause about this ZT (in fact, about most ZTs).

First, for such a rugged knife, that they are still opting for small steel ball bearings. I know their target audience demands bearings, but I personally wish they'd go back to PB washers. Second, I am not impressed with how ZT/Kershaw approach heat treatments. It seems like they cavalierly leave a lot of performance on the table as far as the blade steel is concerned, judging by personal experience and cut tests I've seen. I'd rather see something like a well heat treated CPM-154 that offers more toughness as befitting a knife of this style.

I'm on the fence on this model. I might give it a shot if I can find one on the secondary market at a good price, but I'm unlikely to pay $300 for one.

I like that they've dropped the recurve and assisted opening of the 0300 series, and the knife looks really nice. The blade in particular looks like it can actually cut well, which is great to see from ZT. That said, a couple things give me pause about this ZT (in fact, about most ZTs).

First, for such a rugged knife, that they are still opting for small steel ball bearings. I know their target audience demands bearings, but I personally wish they'd go back to PB washers. Second, I am not impressed with how ZT/Kershaw approach heat treatments. It seems like they cavalierly leave a lot of performance on the table as far as the blade steel is concerned, judging by personal experience and cut tests I've seen. I'd rather see something like a well heat treated CPM-154 that offers more toughness as befitting a knife of this style.

I'm on the fence on this model. I might give it a shot if I can find one on the secondary market at a good price, but I'm unlikely to pay $300 for one.

This post says exactly what I would say.

Bearings on a "hard use" knife makes no sense to me. For $300 the heat treat needs to be on the upper level of what they're advertising otherwise it's no better than a less premium steel. ZT is known for not heat treating blades correctly. At $300 I can spend a bit more and get similar materials with an optimized heat treat.

Looks like you're experiencing it TheFactor TheFactor

Great pics! That 0308 looks tough as hell! I can't wait to pick one up and share my thoughts after using it for a bit.

Looks like you're experiencing it TheFactor TheFactor

Great pics! That 0308 looks tough as hell! I can't wait to pick one up and share my thoughts after using it for a bit.
Couldn’t agree more and Thanks my Friend !
Really loving it and it carry’s well to :thumbsup:
I’m going to test the bearings out today and chop down a few trees to see how the bearings hold out for “HARD USE” :eek: :D
All kidding aside I’ve never had problems with bearings on any knife which is why I imagine most company’s offer them now;)
Although you will always well almost always hear the select few complaining about it especially on a new release but I’m sure they never had a issue with or we would of heard about it by now ;)

Couldn’t agree more and Thanks my Friend !
Really loving it and it carry’s well to :thumbsup:
I’m going to test the bearings out today and chop down a few trees to see how the bearings hold out for “HARD USE” :eek: :D
All kidding aside I’ve never had problems with bearings on any knife which is why I imagine most company’s offer them now;)
Although you will always well almost always hear the select few complaining about it especially on a new release but I’m sure they never had a issue with or we would of heard about it by now ;)

Nice jab. I'm more concerned with the edge retention after the tree test. :)

I just don't care for bearings but that's what ZT is building their brand on since moving away from Speed Safe.

Nice jab. I'm more concerned with the edge retention after the tree test. :)

I just don't care for bearings but that's what ZT is building their brand on since moving away from Speed Safe.
No jab intended I’ve just heard it before about the whole omg bearings on a “hard use” knife thing . Everyone has a right to voice there opinions That’s what this thread is intended for and everyone has a preference such as you and I and everyone else :thumbsup:
Never had a issue with ZT’s heat treatment :)
Nor spydercos M390 which some folks were crying about.

Last edited:
Bearings are fine, just not optimal. I've gotten bearings full of sand on multiple occasions and they still functioned somewhat, but they got gritty as all hell and were not fun to clean. And with steel bearings, they can rust easily if allowed to get wet. PB don't really have those issues in my experience. It's pretty clear to me that most people don't use their knives for very much, and bearings offer low friction and better action for those consumers.

Not sure who whines about Spyderco's M390, but the ones I've heard of recently have tested exceptionally well in hardness and cut tests.

No jab intended I’ve just heard it before about the whole omg bearings on a “hard use” knife thing . Everyone has a right to voice there opinions That’s what this thread is intended for and everyone has a preference such as you and I and everyone else :thumbsup:
Never had a issue with ZT’s heat treatment :)
Nor spydercos M390 which some folks were crying about.

Bearings are fine, just not optimal. I've gotten bearings full of sand on multiple occasions and they still functioned somewhat, but they got gritty as all hell and were not fun to clean. And with steel bearings, they can rust easily if allowed to get wet. PB don't really have those issues in my experience.

Not sure who whines about Spyderco's M390, but the ones I've heard of recently have tested exceptionally well in hardness and cut tests.
There was thread a while back and a few folks jumped on about the spyderco M390 and YouTube videos but again I’ve never had any issues. Absolutely bearings can be a issue in a sandy environment but hard use never a problem.

There was thread a while back and a few folks jumped on about the spyderco M390 and YouTube videos but again I’ve never had any issues. Absolutely bearings can be a issue in a sandy environment but hard use never a problem.
Depends on what you define "hard use" as. I've never seen a good definition, personally, but I have to imagine it involves light prying and use in difficult environments, two things bearings are okay but not exceptional at.

Will you have to have a special pivot tool to tighten the pivot. I kinda like the look of the 1/4" nut.

Maybe instead of that hole that can catch and fill dirt and lint,like Skyhorse mentioned, they shouldve used lucite,lexan or some clear plastic to make a window . that would've been pretty cool and would've kept the gunk out of the pivot.
That was I was also thinking, maybe some fancy insert that you could at least pop out to clean or lube. Anything but a sand injection port next to the pivot.

That was I was also thinking, maybe some fancy insert that you could at least pop out to clean or lube. Anything but a sand injection port next to the pivot.
It makes a great sand exit port when blowing it out with a air hose ;)

You know, I don't really see that hole as a big of an issue and some. The holes on that other abomination were something else IMO. There are a LOT of knives w/holes in the handles that don't really get the scorn this one is getting. I get it though, ZT has never done it before so it's 'different'. I just ordered a couple Olamics, initially I wanted holes but then decided I really don't want that holy ( :) ) of a knife and I like clean lines so changed it however a lot of them do have holes and not just one or 2. I would like to see this one running on PB washers, sometimes bearings cheapen the feel of a knife IMO.

Really the only problem I have with it currently is the pricing, I'm not used to paying that much for a ZT and they start running out of value once beyond the upper 2's (again IMO). I can almost get a used large Sebenza or a Hinderer for that price. While I do like ZT's they aren't w/out their foibles, I take that into consideration.

Factor how's the grind on that edge, pretty even looking at it from the tip (nice even triangle)?

Back