Thrifty Thursday... Cheap Traditional Knives

Bought this at a stock feed store, don't know country of origin and had no brand name. Carbon blade which i had to re profile, now super sharp and keeps an edge better than a lot of knives i have paid $100+ for. Cost me $15. Great little work knife.:thumbsup:.

PpfEG0p.jpg

My dad gave these away in the fifties when he worked for the Hickok Co in Rochester, NY. One and a half inches long with a 1 inch blade, carbon spring, snappy half stop and closure, stainless blade, and genuine Alligator scales. I'm sure he paid no more than $1.50 per.
gM5zRmAh.jpg
Very cool. :cool::thumbsup:
Up until today I've owned two Rough Ryder knives. One I found in a file cabinet in my Dad's shop building. A smallish (3 1/4"?) stockman, new in the box. Its a nice enough knife, but I've never carried it. The other one is a tiny keychain knife I bought because I needed $4 to get free shipping and it was $4.99 :) I've never carried it either.

Today I received an equestrian knife. I don't have a horse. I've never had a horse. I'll never own a horse. So why? Its a little convoluted. Some Swiss Army knives have a "package hook". I've used it occasionally for other stuff like pulling a shift shaft seal out of my old BMW motorcycle. Or cleaning mud out the treads of my boots. On more than one occasion, I though it would be handy to have a little larger hook and to have it in line with the knife. Victorinox's comes out the bottom forming a "T" handle. Then I discovered equestrian knives View attachment 1525304

I didn't want to spend a lot on one, since it may not get used very much. So I bought an RR for $12.

I'm impressed. Its well made, with excellent F&F. Better than a couple of recent Case purchases I've made. The blade has good snap, not a gator snap, but perfectly adequate. The hoof pick has very good snap. Nice and solid. Neither have even a hint of play. The blades shaves hair out of the box. And the box...holy cow. Magnetic closing, heavy duty construction, velvet interior. On a $12 knife! One interesting thing is that the hoof pick rides on two springs. I don't know if this is common or not. I haven't seen it before except on some whittlers.

This a very nice knife. I now understand the enthusiasm for the brand :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
Its the size of a full size Case trapper with a little more thickness and heft.
View attachment 1525307 View attachment 1525308

Two springs for the pick
View attachment 1525309
That's a nice looking knife, and I imagine the hoof pick could be useful for a number of things. That smooth white bone is like an empty canvas...

A coupleof $12.00 Jokers, with my everyday Opi 6. I picked these because the lock ring is pure Opinel copy. The handles resemble the end product of many Opinel mods. They fall between the Opi 6 and 7 in size, and carry unobtrusively, much like a slimmed-down Opinel.

8DF7FE00-DBA4-4089-8854-CD3EC15CC1A5.jpeg

Just got a new refrigerator delivered. After the guys left, I was checking things out and noticed that they had missed a piece of packing tape which was now stuck between the newly installed frig and the wall. One end stuck to the frig. One end stuck to the wall. It wasn't hurting anything, but... :(

I just knew this horse knife was going to come in handy :D
FrigidaireHorse.JPG

Just got a new refrigerator delivered. After the guys left, I was checking things out and noticed that they had missed a piece of packing tape which was now stuck between the newly installed frig and the wall. One end stuck to the frig. One end stuck to the wall. It wasn't hurting anything, but... :(

I just knew this horse knife was going to come in handy :D
View attachment 1525696

That does look like it'd make a good boot scraper!:thumbsup:

Never saw a cribbage board like that View attachment 1525476

Thanks!
That cribbage board is fantastic. My grandmother taught me to play cribbage, and she would have loved that. :D
The cribbage board is near and dear to my heart as it's a great reminder of all the games my Dad and I played against each other in his ice fishing shack. My Dad literally went ice fishing every winter and every day from January 1 until it was no longer safe to be on the ice. I remember we were ice fishing at midnight when the year turned to 2000... we figured we were safer out there :D Oh the Y2K scare... Remember that? Once we saw the lights were still on in town, we figured it was safe to return home :rolleyes:

I know I missed the Thrifty Thursday, but wanted to follow up since my last post a week ago. I ordered a whole bunch of Mikov's based on J Just Tom. posts.

Well, I got the package today and here is a preview of what I hope to share in coming days! All below for $55 that includes tax :) I had mentioned that 5 of the 8 knives were sub $5!!! That puts 3 of the knives knives at like $10~12 ea...very budget friendly. They were 75% off, hence the price.

Cheers everyone and have a great weekend!

yjPZnF8.jpg

I know I missed the Thrifty Thursday, but wanted to follow up since my last post a week ago. I ordered a whole bunch of Mikov's based on J Just Tom. posts.

Well, I got the package today and here is a preview of what I hope to share in coming days! All below for $55 that includes tax :) I had mentioned that 5 of the 8 knives were sub $5!!! That puts 3 of the knives knives at like $10~12 ea...very budget friendly. They were 75% off, hence the price.

Cheers everyone and have a great weekend!

yjPZnF8.jpg
That’s awesome that you got such a good deal on those! Just one of those faux-stag knives alone sells for $65 on the manufacturer’s website. Did they come with the leather belt pouch?

J Just Tom. Yep, It’s a cool knife. Big camper.

I hope to share some pics today. It’s still on sale and reason I went with these many knives is because they have free shipping above $50.

Wanted a single blade lockback but they didn’t have it listed as an option.

J Just Tom. Yep, It’s a cool knife. Big camper.

I hope to share some pics today. It’s still on sale and reason I went with these many knives is because they have free shipping above $50.

Wanted a single blade lockback but they didn’t have it listed as an option.
I have been eyeballing the single blade one, too, and also the all-stainless one with the can opener and bottle opener, to go with the two-blade one-spring all stainless pen knife I have.

J Just Tom.
Okay, as a starter :) One that you're familiar with

7a7RHFa.jpg

iMeTggS.jpg

Very snappy, solid half stop. Doesn't feel cheap with the exception of the metal key clip. The liner lock looks to be made of cheap metal but does it's job. There is a slight up and down blade play when open but I find this to be common with a slip joint liner lock. Definitely needs sharpening

variation with can opener
BCyLfy2.jpg

Electrian
BTYLyQQ.jpg

Solid feeling knife. Walk and talk is fantastic with the exception of the aul. That thing will break my nail if I don't be careful. The aul is super sharp but all other edges need touch up.
Wire strippers do catch my nails so I think it will do the job but I'm not an electrician :) Got the knife because it looks cool.

100-NH-5 Stovka (model name)
pEm8SUm.jpg

WceQ77E.jpg

8lTtGaz.jpg

CumDFcK.jpg

It looks cheap because of the color, but the walk and talk/fit and finish is Victorinox grade with the exception of the can opener. I tried to take a close up shot but you can see it is very roughly ground. I think it will do its job but might pose a little struggle. No wiggles, snaps clean. Also need sharpening.

So far so good. More to come :)

Want to see if I can put an okay edge on these. Given most of these are either 440A or 420 steel, I don't see it holding an edge for hard use, but 'should' sharpen easily.

J Just Tom.
Okay, as a starter :) One that you're familiar with

7a7RHFa.jpg

iMeTggS.jpg

Very snappy, solid half stop. Doesn't feel cheap with the exception of the metal key clip. The liner lock looks to be made of cheap metal but does it's job. There is a slight up and down blade play when open but I find this to be common with a slip joint liner lock. Definitely needs sharpening

variation with can opener
BCyLfy2.jpg

Electrian
BTYLyQQ.jpg

Solid feeling knife. Walk and talk is fantastic with the exception of the aul. That thing will break my nail if I don't be careful. The aul is super sharp but all other edges need touch up.
Wire strippers do catch my nails so I think it will do the job but I'm not an electrician :) Got the knife because it looks cool.

100-NH-5 Stovka (model name)
pEm8SUm.jpg

WceQ77E.jpg

8lTtGaz.jpg

CumDFcK.jpg

It looks cheap because of the color, but the walk and talk/fit and finish is Victorinox grade with the exception of the can opener. I tried to take a close up shot but you can see it is very roughly ground. I think it will do its job but might pose a little struggle. No wiggles, snaps clean. Also need sharpening.

So far so good. More to come :)

Want to see if I can put an okay edge on these. Given most of these are either 440A or 420 steel, I don't see it holding an edge for hard use, but 'should' sharpen easily.
You are making it difficult for me to resist getting more. i wish I could figure out where you got such a good deal on yours.

Back