Thrifty Thursday... Cheap Traditional Knives

LTQbAcs.jpg

A Rough Rider large work knife (similar to full size sodbuster) with linerlock and black micarta handles, again from summer of 2017. (Cost was $8.90 plus tax and shipping, so this one may have crossed my $10 "thrifty threshold".)
bigwork.mark.open.jpg

- GT

Continuing on my acquisitions last week...

Mikov 115
vklaBhv.jpg

Y17IuRv.jpg

As before, it looks cheap because of the bland color but the quality is nothing short of Victorinox, except for the can opener. The pull on the can opener is also stronger on this one (7 ish?) and the edge can be a bit refined. But the walk and talk on the main and the bottle opener/screw driver is fantastic! BTW, these don't come with a teezer and a toothpick :D While this one is a slip joint (with a half stop) it has a liner lock but not tight (like Victorinox Sentinel). The plastic cover is 'textured' non-slip handle, unlike the 100.

Now on to the 'premiums' lol

Mikov 232-xh-4 and 5v
l3AfHwz.jpg

VRFIkb7.jpg

ozGwUqy.jpg

Hb1oXFT.jpg

WLQbl0Z.jpg

The only difference between the 4 and and 5v is that 5v is with the cork screw. There are other versions with extra tools. These have faux stag and comes with a nice leather holster, reminiscent of the Buck 110 holster. The holster fits nice and snug so you don't feel the knife move around once in.

These are SOLID knives. Again, aside from the can opener (I think this is simply their standard grind), all else is fantastically made. Very minimal wiggle (if any) on the strong lockback main blade, open or closed. Saw feels sharp and snappy. These are advertised as 440 steel with Rockwell 54-57 HRC. Should make a nice camp knife that I can throw into any bag. I'm showing it on Cheap Traditionals as I bought these for less than $14 ea on steep discount. They are normally listed for $50 and up.

Thanks for looking and though I'm not carrying these today, I'm sure I'll put them to good use soon! Happy Thursday!

Continuing on my acquisitions last week...

Mikov 115
vklaBhv.jpg

Y17IuRv.jpg

As before, it looks cheap because of the bland color but the quality is nothing short of Victorinox, except for the can opener. The pull on the can opener is also stronger on this one (7 ish?) and the edge can be a bit refined. But the walk and talk on the main and the bottle opener/screw driver is fantastic! BTW, these don't come with a teezer and a toothpick :D While this one is a slip joint (with a half stop) it has a liner lock but not tight (like Victorinox Sentinel). The plastic cover is 'textured' non-slip handle, unlike the 100.

Now on to the 'premiums' lol

Mikov 232-xh-4 and 5v
l3AfHwz.jpg

VRFIkb7.jpg

ozGwUqy.jpg

Hb1oXFT.jpg

WLQbl0Z.jpg

The only difference between the 4 and and 5v is that 5v is with the cork screw. There are other versions with extra tools. These have faux stag and comes with a nice leather holster, reminiscent of the Buck 110 holster. The holster fits nice and snug so you don't feel the knife move around once in.

These are SOLID knives. Again, aside from the can opener (I think this is simply their standard grind), all else is fantastically made. Very minimal wiggle (if any) on the strong lockback main blade, open or closed. Saw feels sharp and snappy. These are advertised as 440 steel with Rockwell 54-57 HRC. Should make a nice camp knife that I can throw into any bag. I'm showing it on Cheap Traditionals as I bought these for less than $14 ea on steep discount. They are normally listed for $50 and up.

Thanks for looking and though I'm not carrying these today, I'm sure I'll put them to good use soon! Happy Thursday!
I have one of the faux-stag knives coming in the mail - seeing your pictures and reading your review makes me think I made a good purchase.

Carrying the horse knife again. This thing is super handy. I think I'll buy two more to put in the vehicles :thumbsup:
The creeks are out and the river is up and I've got mud where I shouldn't have mud :p
View attachment 1529455
You are really tempting me. I'm considering putting one on my wish list for scrimshaw ideas. I'm picturing a herd of horses...

It might be a little ambitious. That's why I want to try it on a Thrifty Knife.
Understandable.
The AGR kind of qualifies for thrifty for purposes of this thread as its a factory second that was 30 bucks. Could still buy two of the RR's and have money left over at that price. I'm impressed by this RR. Its a fine knife.
Pics are mandatory if/when you do it ;)

Understandable.
The AGR kind of qualifies for thrifty for purposes of this thread as its a factory second that was 30 bucks. Could still buy two of the RR's and have money left over at that price. I'm impressed by this RR. Its a fine knife.
Pics are mandatory if/when you do it ;)
That's pretty thrifty for an AGR. :thumbsup:

If I do it, there will be pics, good or bad. ;)

I just ordered another one. If it comes with an anchor, it’s all yours.
I finally have some photos of the Mikov with anchor on bolster that Tom so generously offered me! Tom also included some of the stick-on vinyl sheets that he has used on the handles of his Mikov knives. :thumbsup::cool::cool: I have to decide how I want to try to dress it up!
mikov.mark.Vopen.vinyl.jpg

While I'm trying to make up my mind, maybe I'll temporarily use some of these beer stickers as "handle art". ;)
mikov.mark.Vopen.beerstickers.jpg

- GT

Back