Thrifty Thursday... Cheap Traditional Knives

0ikOHaN.jpg

I finally have some photos of the Mikov with anchor on bolster that Tom so generously offered me! Tom also included some of the stick-on vinyl sheets that he has used on the handles of his Mikov knives. :thumbsup::cool::cool: I have to decide how I want to try to dress it up!
View attachment 1533666

While I'm trying to make up my mind, maybe I'll temporarily use some of these beer stickers as "handle art". ;)
View attachment 1533667

- GT
That looks like fun. I remember having a set of "temporary" stickers when I was a kid. They stuck, but peeled up easily and were re-usable.
A more permanent decoration for me today:
lp8Q1eT.jpg

A more permanent decoration for me today:
lp8Q1eT.jpg
Was that RR white bone to start with? If it was, did you do something to darken it? I think it looks neat.:thumbsup: (Edited to add: Forgot to mention - the scrimshaw looks great, too!!:cool:)

Last edited:
Here’s a little Rough Rider mini canoe that my mom brought back from a trip to Alaska several years ago. My assumption has always been that the scrimshaw on this knife was not done by hand (perhaps laser etched?) but I don’t know for sure.

3UpYCoG.jpg

I finally have some photos of the Mikov with anchor on bolster that Tom so generously offered me! Tom also included some of the stick-on vinyl sheets that he has used on the handles of his Mikov knives. :thumbsup::cool::cool: I have to decide how I want to try to dress it up!
View attachment 1533666

:thumbsup: Just trying to share the thrifty fun.

That looks like fun. I remember having a set of "temporary" stickers when I was a kid. They stuck, but peeled up easily and were re-usable.
The “permanent” vinyl lettering material does come off clean, but not very easily, and you will destroy it in the process. Here is a regular vinyl sticker over a permanent white vinyl base:

Was that RR white bone to start with? If it was, did you do something to darken it? I think it looks neat.:thumbsup: (Edited to add: Forgot to mention - the scrimshaw looks great, too!!:cool:)
Thanks! It came that way. I don't know why it has the dark area, but I like it. The pile side is bright white.
Here’s a little Rough Rider mini canoe that my mom brought back from a trip to Alaska several years ago. My assumption has always been that the scrimshaw on this knife was not done by hand (perhaps laser etched?) but I don’t know for sure.

3UpYCoG.jpg
Yeah, that looks like some sort of laser/machine etching. Still a nice souvenir. Rough Rider's white bone knives tend not to have shields, so they must be aware of their growing popularity with scrimshanders.
:thumbsup: Just trying to share the thrifty fun.

The “permanent” vinyl lettering material does come off clean, but not very easily, and you will destroy it in the process. Here is a regular vinyl sticker over a permanent white vinyl base:
That's so cool!

Opening Day!.
eT9hxuK.jpg
My Dad was a really good pitcher back in the 1960's and I still have this letter he got from the "Metropolitan Baseball Club". He was eventually offered a roster spot with the Duluth/Superior Dukes but he decided to go the manual labor route and worked in a copper mine for the next 35 years instead. On a side note, the Mets adopted their "Mets" logo in 1962 so this letter is probably one of the first edition run of stationary they had with the new logo. :):thumbsup: Secondary side note, although Wid Matthews was not known as a great player or manager/GM, he was a key person in bringing people of color into the MLB and his most notable acquisition was when he was GM with the Chicago Cubs and he signed on a guy name Ernie Banks :cool:

UTICABAT-1B.JPG UTICABAT-1C.JPG

My Dad was a really good pitcher back in the 1960's and I still have this letter he got from the "Metropolitan Baseball Club". He was eventually offered a roster spot with the Duluth/Superior Dukes but he decided to go the manual labor route and worked in a copper mine for the next 35 years instead. On a side note, the Mets adopted their "Mets" logo in 1962 so this letter is probably one of the first edition run of stationary they had with the new logo. :):thumbsup: Secondary side note, although Wid Matthews was not known as a great player or manager/GM, he was a key person in bringing people of color into the MLB and his most notable acquisition was when he was GM with the Chicago Cubs and he signed on a guy name Ernie Banks :cool:

View attachment 1537958 View attachment 1537959
That’s a great piece of history you have there! (Neat Utica, too.):cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Back