Thrifty Thursday... Cheap Traditional Knives

I’ve seen a few of these little RR canoes posted lately, thought I’d jump in for Thrifty Thursday. View attachment 1641102
That's a nice one, Todd! :thumbsup::cool:
I bought one like that almost a year ago (and posted it in this thread in April, I think). But the sad news for me is that recently I was transferring all of my pocket contents from one pair of pants to the other, watching the local news and weather on TV in the otherwise dark living room, and I fumbled the little canoe during the transfer, it fell on the hardwood floor, and when I picked it up, I immediately felt that the shield had popped out!
Not a big deal, except I can't find it to superglue back in. o_O:mad:

I think I'm starting to run out of thrifty knives to post here, at least the ones for which I can find receipts to confirm that they cost me under my $10 thrifty threshold. I'm sure this Frost Flying Falcon that I picked up in a pawn shop one day was under $10, but I'll bet it was over $5, which in my opinion means I probably paid more for it than I should have. Still, it's a very pleasant knife that serves me very well as a desk knife, and is one of the few knives I have that I can easily sharpen effectively.
flying.falcon.mark.open.jpg

- GT

flying.falcon.mark.open.jpg
I've always liked those flying Falcons. No-Nonsense budget knife. 🤠 :thumbsup:

I've always liked those flying Falcons. No-Nonsense budget knife. 🤠 :thumbsup:
Thanks, John. :)
I agree: high marks for function/substance/utility, but not much in the way of form/style (except I think the tang stamp is cool 🤓).
I wonder how many of these are floating around as advertising knives?

- GT

Don't you hate it when you easily retrieve something from exactly where it's supposed to be, but you put it down for just a second and it disappears, and when you finally find it you put it down for just a second and it disappears again? I found it again, under something in the drawer out of which I'd gotten something else.
Colonial.
x4O9OeN.jpg

For you darn kids nowadays with your computers, that's a beverage can opener from the days before pull-tabs, on the edge side of the guard.

Back in 2014, I ordered a pair of Victorinox SAKs from Menard's (I think) for $20. I'll consider them to be $10 each so they fit my definition of "thrifty" and post one today and one next week. One of them (the one in which I was most interested) was a Tinker (the other was a Classic SD):
tinker.open.jpg

- GT

My Dad was a millwright at Chrysler. One of the guys he worked with was a Lebanese guy named Sam. Sam was always bringing things in to sell. Trinkets, toys miscellany. This was pre-internet. Nowadays Sam would probably be an internet millionaire. Back in the late 70's or thereabouts Dad came home with a couple of "survival" knives. I'm not sure but I think he bought them from Sam. I'm sure he didn't pay very much for them. He gave me the one below. The only markings on it say "420 stainless" and "Taiwan". It was my camp knife for many years. I did all kinds of things (i.e. I abused the crap out of it) with it and it stood up fine. Turned out to be a decent, very stout knife. If I ever go camping again, it will go with me.
The compass doesn't work anymore 😧
The Schrade Junior stockman is a factory second purchased in the immediate aftermath of the bankruptcy. Paid 5 bucks for it deal.gif
Big and Junior.JPG

Back